4481 - 4500 of 4644 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,481

·
Been around...
537 Posts
My Intel foundation showed up this morning and I just finished installing it on an i9-10850K. I have one suggestion for Optimus on the install:

The knurled nuts that are used to tighten the block down should be modified in one of two ways: Either cut slots for a screw driver head (or a hex key) on the top of them, or shape them in a way that a nut driver can be used to turn them. On some motherboards (Asus Maximus XII Hero, for example), areas around the CPU socket get very crowded with VRM heatsinks and I found it extremely difficult to tighten down the block properly. There just wasn't enough room to get my fingers around the nuts.

Another suggestion is to document what size hex key is needed to disassemble the block (to remove the inner gasket.) I found that it wasn't metric at all, and it doesn't seem to be an extremely common Imperial size, so I ended up NOT taking the gasket out. :(

Otherwise, the quality seems fine. I was surprised that there weren't any non-metallic washers to put between the metal parts and the motherboard, but Intel (and AMD) dictates that only ground plane can be in those areas anyway. From a purely engineering point of view, I wonder if large diameter plastic washer would spread the compression stresses on the PCB, but that probably won't matter if I'm not moving the machine all around.

I really can't offer any opinion on the performance, as I changed my loop around to add a radiator when I installed the block, so temps will all be different.

Take care
Gary

• Rep+
Reactions: ThrashZone

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Intel foundation showed up this morning and I just finished installing it on an i9-10850K. I have one suggestion for Optimus on the install:

The knurled nuts that are used to tighten the block down should be modified in one of two ways: Either cut slots for a screw driver head (or a hex key) on the top of them, or shape them in a way that a nut driver can be used to turn them. On some motherboards (Asus Maximus XII Hero, for example), areas around the CPU socket get very crowded with VRM heatsinks and I found it extremely difficult to tighten down the block properly. There just wasn't enough room to get my fingers around the nuts.

Another suggestion is to document what size hex key is needed to disassemble the block (to remove the inner gasket.) I found that it wasn't metric at all, and it doesn't seem to be an extremely common Imperial size, so I ended up NOT taking the gasket out. :(

Otherwise, the quality seems fine. I was surprised that there weren't any non-metallic washers to put between the metal parts and the motherboard, but Intel (and AMD) dictates that only ground plane can be in those areas anyway. From a purely engineering point of view, I wonder if large diameter plastic washer would spread the compression stresses on the PCB, but that probably won't matter if I'm not moving the machine all around.

I really can't offer any opinion on the performance, as I changed my loop around to add a radiator when I installed the block, so temps will all be different.

Take care
Gary
100% agree regarding the knurled nuts.

I did get (8) plastic washers with my intel foundation block and used them on both sides of the motherboard. That being said they weren’t shown anywhere in the included instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
96 Posts
Will be searching this thread when I get home, but I'm curious if anyone who actively participates here can let me know in advance if I can actually expect a more than negligible performance different going from an old EK supremacy block to a newer block like the optimus.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts
Will be searching this thread when I get home, but I'm curious if anyone who actively participates here can let me know in advance if I can actually expect a more than negligible performance different going from an old EK supremacy block to a newer block like the optimus.
Some details on your rig would go a long way toward getting relevant answers. Results will vary greatly depending on what is around it and whatnot will be cooling.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
Regarding the thumb nuts, the reason we didn't include a hex or torx head is because it's then too easy to absolutely go gorilla mode on the block and hurt the motherboard. Because the way it's designed, finger tight is the best, though I know it can be tricky in some scenarios.

On our Threadripper block, we've started a new system that uses the Threadripper torx key that puts exactly 1.5nm torque on the nuts, so it's a perfect system. but 1.5nm is too much for standard mobos, so we need to figure that out and then source the torque keys to make install perfect. It's something we can tackle after the GPU madness.

As for Optimus performance vs other older blocks, you'll see the biggest improvements when: pushing big overclocks, running D5 pumps, hotter chips and more powerful systems. You won't see much improvement if you don't overclock or run quiet, ddc sff systems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some details on your rig would go a long way toward getting relevant answers. Results will vary greatly depending on what is around it and whatnot will be cooling.
definitely agree, sorry posted earlier in a rush

Chip is 3900x with 2 480mm radiators, though the ek supremacy is actually doing very well. even with very high voltages under load for stress tests im not seeing past 70-75C in a 22-23C ambient. Not sure I could justify $80-140 for another block without a realistic gain.

i know the potential is far greater than something like a thermal paste application difference, but being a soldered is there much headroom for a difference? will that higher fin density covering the chiplets actually end up in a cooling performance?

at another point i would probably have splurged on a new block, but with the way things are now i'm trying to keep it to a need rather than want.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
definitely agree, sorry posted earlier in a rush

Chip is 3900x with 2 480mm radiators, though the ek supremacy is actually doing very well. even with very high voltages under load for stress tests im not seeing past 70-75C in a 22-23C ambient. Not sure I could justify $80-140 for another block without a realistic gain.

i know the potential is far greater than something like a thermal paste application difference, but being a soldered is there much headroom for a difference? will that higher fin density covering the chiplets actually end up in a cooling performance?

at another point i would probably have splurged on a new block, but with the way things are now i'm trying to keep it to a need rather than want.
Oh yeah you'd definitely see a performance gain, and it shouldn't be a little. There are a lot of results people have had here with a similar setup. On this page we've listed a lot of them with the reference links: Foundation CPU Block - AMD

That said, we're backordered on AM4 blocks, they've been crazy popular. But we're working hard to get those orders out in the next week.

·
Been around...
537 Posts
I think you might have missed this question when you answered about the knurled nuts: Can you please tell me what size hex key I should use to open the intel optimus foundation block (to remove the o-ring)? I installed it with the o-ring, but next time I drain the loop, I might want to pull it out and I'd like to be prepared..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got the new mounting posts for my Foundation block, thanks to Matt from Optimus WC for taking care of me.

Arrived here in Malaysia in less than a month, can't wait to get rid of the bowing on my motherboard and have more consistency in mounting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I may have missed this in the thread, but is there any expectation for a WB to be made for the 3090 FE? I know the focus has primarily been CPU blocks, but I'd really like to run a Optimus WB for both CPU+GPU when I build my custom loop

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts
Hi,
Yeah gpu waterblock availability is a fragile topic lol

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i have a test done with a Ek Evo all nickel its my 3rd worst result over all 4 blocks i used lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have a test done with a Ek Evo all nickel its my 3rd worst result over all 4 blocks i used lol
yesterday it took me a good 10 minutes to learn how to search in the threads on this new layout. i saw some posts about tests and didn't make it to the results.
this block i have is probably 5+ years old, i didnt expect it to work so well but it's definitely better than the stock air cooler! :p
i'm going to wait until these optimus blocks are in stock, or maybe until a good sale is going on and buy a newer block designed for ryzen. i would love to see 3-5c degree drop under load, not sure if that would be realistic. also not sure i would be satisfied with 1-3c

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
Hey guys,
  • OVERALL GPU PROGRESS: The two big hurdles are complete: 1) optimizing our overall GPU block design and 2) getting back to biz after covid chaos.
  • 3080/90 FOUNDERS WATER BLOCKS: Yes, we'll definitely make blocks for these cards. We're working on trying to get samples, NVIDIA isn't making this easy. Once we have the cards, then best bet is we'll have copper waterblocks ready to ship within two weeks (nickel takes longer)
  • 3080/90 REFERENCE WATER BLOCKS: We thought these would be first, but it's very unclear what "reference" even means in this release. So far, cards that look reference are not. The first run cards like the TUF, EVGA and Gigabyte Eagle are not ref. Maybe only zotac has a true ref. So unlike previous gens where every brand had a few ref designs, it's unclear if anyone will have ref.
  • 3080/90 CUSTOM WATER BLOCKS: It's appearing that this generation will be dominated by the custom cards. The two most requested cards are the Strix and FTW. But will Strix be the same PCB as TUF? And is FTW same as Hybrid and Kingpin? And how insane will the designs actually end up? Will there be chokes the size of baby carrots? No one knows.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Hey guys,
  • OVERALL GPU PROGRESS: The two big hurdles are complete: 1) optimizing our overall GPU block design and 2) getting back to biz after covid chaos.
  • 3080/90 FOUNDERS WATER BLOCKS: Yes, we'll definitely make blocks for these cards. We're working on trying to get samples, NVIDIA isn't making this easy. Once we have the cards, then best bet is we'll have copper waterblocks ready to ship within two weeks (nickel takes longer)
  • 3080/90 REFERENCE WATER BLOCKS: We thought these would be first, but it's very unclear what "reference" even means in this release. So far, cards that look reference are not. The first run cards like the TUF, EVGA and Gigabyte Eagle are not ref. Maybe only zotac has a true ref. So unlike previous gens where every brand had a few ref designs, it's unclear if anyone will have ref.
  • 3080/90 CUSTOM WATER BLOCKS: It's appearing that this generation will be dominated by the custom cards. The two most requested cards are the Strix and FTW. But will Strix be the same PCB as TUF? And is FTW same as Hybrid and Kingpin? And how insane will the designs actually end up? Will there be chokes the size of baby carrots? No one knows.

So 2 week turn around for the FE blocks can you say the same for the FTW3? If you can one out in 6 weeks I'll gladly send you the card to be used as a sample.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
So 2 week turn around for the FE blocks can you say the same for the FTW3? If you can one out in 6 weeks I'll gladly send you the card to be used as a sample.
It's really hard to say for the custom cards. Lots of moving pieces to get there. For example, if we're slammed with FE orders, then we won't have as much time for the custom cards. But if more people are waiting for custom and FE isn't very popular, then we'll focus on custom.

And appreciate the offer! We're making contact direct with EVGA this week. We really need the PCB CAD files to get it done quick, otherwise it's days of tiny measurements :D

·
Booo
687 Posts
Hey guys,
Well, I hope you guys are for real this time and will not be saying "two weeks" for six months. And I'm obviously biased, but would love to see blocks for the FTW, as that's the one I'll try to get. EVGA doesn't void warranty when installing custom blocks, and the base model for EVGA, the XC3, appears to be using a modified reference PCB (it's quite a bit longer than the reference PCB), so might as well get a fully custom PCB then with better power delivery and VRMs.

If you guys can really deliver this time, on time, you'll have a customer here. Already using your Foundation AM4 block which works great, and I like the no nonsense look of Optimus blocks.

4481 - 4500 of 4644 Posts