Overclock.net banner

4501 - 4520 of 4644 Posts

·
Booo
687 Posts
To you experienced watercooling folk, is it better to use a copper cold plate or nickel? Currently using a nickel plate in my AM4 Foundation block, but debating switching to copper. Also less risk of potential nickel flaking I guess, even though Optimus claims that's not a risk with their plating process.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've had EK and Heatkiler Nickel plating flake on me for CPU blocks. This time around, I ordered the Optimus Sig v2 in copper. Going copper for GPU block as well once the 3 series cards are out.

·
Been around...
537 Posts
is it better to use a copper cold plate or nickel?
They are (usually) both copper... the nickel is just a plating.

The nickel plating is usually more visually appealing (it stays shiny)

Optimus claims on their website that the nickel plating can help discourage etching if using a liquid metal TIM (I have no experience with that. I also don't know if the etching has any performance impact.)

Plain copper will oxidize (blacken) over time, though this shouldn't change thermal characteristics.

The nickel plating might be a very slight insulator (but if it is, it's to a very minuscule degree. I've never compared a pure copper to nickel plated block.)

Plain copper might be easier to clean. (I don't know if the Optimus nickel plating can handle cleaning chemicals, but EK's nickel plating certainly can't.)

Personally, after dealing with EK's plating for years, I selected plain copper for my optimus block. If it turns black, I'm perfectly okay with that as long as it gives the best possible cooling. Anyway, if it's good enough for the best radiators, it should be good enough for a cold plate. I've never seen a nickel plated radiator (and probably couldn't afford one if it existed.)

• Rep+
Reactions: ThrashZone

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey guys,
  • OVERALL GPU PROGRESS: The two big hurdles are complete: 1) optimizing our overall GPU block design and 2) getting back to biz after covid chaos.
  • 3080/90 FOUNDERS WATER BLOCKS: Yes, we'll definitely make blocks for these cards. We're working on trying to get samples, NVIDIA isn't making this easy. Once we have the cards, then best bet is we'll have copper waterblocks ready to ship within two weeks (nickel takes longer)
  • 3080/90 REFERENCE WATER BLOCKS: We thought these would be first, but it's very unclear what "reference" even means in this release. So far, cards that look reference are not. The first run cards like the TUF, EVGA and Gigabyte Eagle are not ref. Maybe only zotac has a true ref. So unlike previous gens where every brand had a few ref designs, it's unclear if anyone will have ref.
  • 3080/90 CUSTOM WATER BLOCKS: It's appearing that this generation will be dominated by the custom cards. The two most requested cards are the Strix and FTW. But will Strix be the same PCB as TUF? And is FTW same as Hybrid and Kingpin? And how insane will the designs actually end up? Will there be chokes the size of baby carrots? No one knows.
I originally was going to try to get an EVGA FTW3 first and Founders Edition second, but the rumors that Nvidia kept the best binned chips for the FE and that it is going to be the cheapest one has shifted me in that direction for which site I go to first on Thursday morning

·
Booo
687 Posts
I originally was going to try to get an EVGA FTW3 first and Founders Edition second, but the rumors that Nvidia kept the best binned chips for the FE and that it is going to be the cheapest one has shifted me in that direction for which site I go to first on Thursday morning
Yeah, but you'll void your warranty removing the stock cooler. Good luck with that if the card fails. And Nvidia uses Digital River for their after sales support, so good luck with that too.

I'd rather not have the best chip but at least be able to watercool it without voiding warranty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, but you'll void your warranty removing the stock cooler. Good luck with that if the card fails. And Nvidia uses Digital River for their after sales support, so good luck with that too.

I'd rather not have the best chip but at least be able to watercool it without voiding warranty.
They can't legally void the warranty for it. I know they might fight it, but as long as I don't trash my stock cooler they won't know. 4 Nvidia reps said it was fine and only one said it wasn't.
The FTW3 is going to be $100-150 more than the FE as well.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
NICKEL PLATING: So our nickel is completely safe to use, it's actually not much of a mystery. There are two types of nickel: electroplated and electroless. Electroplated is the shiny chrome-like stuff. Electroless is industrial. Our Pro-XE is a variety of electroless designed for liquid cooling. But really, unless it's electroless, it'll corrode very quickly in water. The advantage of electroplated is it looks really good and is super easy to manufacture, it'll cover over blemishes and look super shiny. But it's also thick, so it won't be perfectly flat. That's why we don't do full nickel blocks with mirror finishes on the outside. It's just not quality. We use both copper and nickel in our loops with zero problems. After all, home depot plumbing doesn't break down in a few months, liquid cooling shouldn't either :D

GPUS: Based on the power designs, the aftermarket cards will most likely perform much better, especially with liquid. The Founders is a cool design, but it doesn't have nearly the overbuilt power design of the other cards like Strix and FTW. And the OC potential is really impressive. Of course, this is all speculation, but it wouldn't make sense that the Founders is a class above the top custom cards.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts

Aren't the FE cards 2x 8pin compared to 3x on the FTW and Strix? Wouldn't that make those the higher binned cards or least higher power limit. That's why I'm grabbing one over the FE

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,509
Hope its real. Saves us headaches on block side

·
Booo
687 Posts
Aren't the FE cards 2x 8pin compared to 3x on the FTW and Strix? Wouldn't that make those the higher binned cards or least higher power limit. That's why I'm grabbing one over the FE
I'm gonna have like 20 tabs open on my browser come Thursday morning for the FTW, and as backup, the Strix. All on various shops.

And yeah, the FE is I think 2x 8pin into a 12pin adapter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah good point, guess i am back on evga

I'm gonna have like 20 tabs open on my browser come Thursday morning for the FTW, and as backup, the Strix. All on various shops.

And yeah, the FE is I think 2x 8pin into a 12pin adapter.
yeah i am doing the same, 2 computers on different internet and my phone

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,512
NICKEL PLATING: So our nickel is completely safe to use, it's actually not much of a mystery. There are two types of nickel: electroplated and electroless. Electroplated is the shiny chrome-like stuff. Electroless is industrial. Our Pro-XE is a variety of electroless designed for liquid cooling. But really, unless it's electroless, it'll corrode very quickly in water. The advantage of electroplated is it looks really good and is super easy to manufacture, it'll cover over blemishes and look super shiny. But it's also thick, so it won't be perfectly flat. That's why we don't do full nickel blocks with mirror finishes on the outside. It's just not quality. We use both copper and nickel in our loops with zero problems. After all, home depot plumbing doesn't break down in a few months, liquid cooling shouldn't either :D

GPUS: Based on the power designs, the aftermarket cards will most likely perform much better, especially with liquid. The Founders is a cool design, but it doesn't have nearly the overbuilt power design of the other cards like Strix and FTW. And the OC potential is really impressive. Of course, this is all speculation, but it wouldn't make sense that the Founders is a class above the top custom cards.
I hope you guys get some inspiration from ekwb founders gpu block. Interesting g1/4 port placement

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
That thing is ugly. I want a big hunk of copper

·
Registered
835 Posts
Looks like a glorified universal block with a slab of plexi tacked on top. Pass.

·
Rig Advisor
1,938 Posts
Looks like a glorified universal block with a slab of plexi tacked on top. Pass.
Yep, They bet on enthusiasts wanting Argeebee over copper.

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts
Hi,
Thought I was the only copper freak :cool:

·
Booo
687 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well that sucks. Heard the Strix also will not be available on Thursday.
yeah he said in a different tweet it should be in the next few days, but still makes waiting risky because they might not announce when exactly and the other brands may sell out.

Strix and Aorus master and xtreme not at launch either, just msi trio x and FE and lower end models like the EVGA XC3. This launch is a mess. I really want to finish my build and get my bundled Assasins creed valhalla with my 3700X before the offer expires and don't really want to have to use my 970 for a few more months while I wait on a 3080/3090.

4501 - 4520 of 4644 Posts