Overclock.net banner

4521 - 4540 of 4644 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts

·
Booo
687 Posts
yeah he said in a different tweet it should be in the next few days, but still makes waiting risky because they might not announce when exactly and the other brands may sell out.

Strix and Aorus master and xtreme not at launch either, just msi trio x and FE and lower end models like the EVGA XC3. This launch is a mess. I really want to finish my build and get my bundled Assasins creed valhalla with my 3700X before the offer expires and don't really want to have to use my 970 for a few more months while I wait on a 3080/3090.
Well, I'm still going to see if I can get my hands on an XC3. There's a good shot I will not be able to anyway, and then the FTW3 will be a backup.

If I do get my hands on a XC3, then I'll try to get a FTW3 and will then return the XC3.

·
Booo
687 Posts
Hi,
ASUS sux anyway.
I like their motherboards, but otherwise try to avoid Asus products :) And Asus doesn't suck as much as Gigabyte.

• Rep+
Reactions: ThrashZone

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts
I like their motherboards, but otherwise try to avoid Asus products :) And Asus doesn't suck as much as Gigabyte.
Hi,
Yeah both are off my gpu list :)

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
MINI GPU UPDATE:
So, yeah, this launch is...interesting. And the number of reference PCB designs (in the US) appears to be super limited. Zotac and PNY, it seems. Even the others that look ref, aren't ref. And waterblocks that look ref clearly won't work on the ref pcbs that leaked.

Our plan for now (the gpu gods are a fickle bunch), is to do the FE and then as many aftermarket designs as we can possibly handle in the shortest possible time. And not the ref board. There are so many unknowns at this point, esp when it comes to quantity and the like. For example, will the TUF and Strix share the same basic PCB layout? No idea.

We're working to get our hands on samples. But everything is very, very limited. If we get samples, we'll have blocks ideally a few weeks after that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
MINI GPU UPDATE:
So, yeah, this launch is...interesting. And the number of reference PCB designs (in the US) appears to be super limited. Zotac and PNY, it seems. Even the others that look ref, aren't ref. And waterblocks that look ref clearly won't work on the ref pcbs that leaked.

Our plan for now (the gpu gods are a fickle bunch), is to do the FE and then as many aftermarket designs as we can possibly handle in the shortest possible time. And not the ref board. There are so many unknowns at this point, esp when it comes to quantity and the like. For example, will the TUF and Strix share the same basic PCB layout? No idea.

We're working to get our hands on samples. But everything is very, very limited. If we get samples, we'll have blocks ideally a few weeks after that.
Looks like a nightmare honestly if you don't have an in with the board manufacturers. I want the 3090 FE just because the pcb is small enough with a block to fit in my 011D.

So many weird things to actually consider before buying compared to my 1080ti, power restrictions, pcb size differences, power connector locations, reference pcb board and block compatibility. This is all awful lol.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
Looks like a nightmare honestly if you don't have an in with the board manufacturers. I want the 3090 FE just because the pcb is small enough with a block to fit in my 011D.

So many weird things to actually consider before buying compared to my 1080ti, power restrictions, pcb size differences, power connector locations, reference pcb board and block compatibility. This is all awful lol.

Hah, yeah it's definitely a big, crazy launch. The speculation is rampant between FE and custom variants, like actual performance differences, especially how far one can push the cards under good liquid cooling.

For the partners like ASUS, EVGA, etc, it's never easy for any company. To give some examples, the custom FTW3 2080Ti blocks took a good year to arrive. There was never really any good options for the Kingpin. The Strix changed pcb layout at one point without a wide update, leaving the water cooling companies in the dark. And it's honestly the same this way, no one has shown a waterblock on a PCB yet, as far as I know.

That said, we have a plan for being able to make numerous varieties quickly. Can't explain details yet but it's something that will make sense in the future.

·
Booo
687 Posts
Hah, yeah it's definitely a big, crazy launch. The speculation is rampant between FE and custom variants, like actual performance differences, especially how far one can push the cards under good liquid cooling.

For the partners like ASUS, EVGA, etc, it's never easy for any company. To give some examples, the custom FTW3 2080Ti blocks took a good year to arrive. There was never really any good options for the Kingpin. The Strix changed pcb layout at one point without a wide update, leaving the water cooling companies in the dark. And it's honestly the same this way, no one has shown a waterblock on a PCB yet, as far as I know.

That said, we have a plan for being able to make numerous varieties quickly. Can't explain details yet but it's something that will make sense in the future.
Well, if I can get my hands on an FTW3 from EVGA, and you guys aren't able to obtain the right data from EVGA, I'll let you borrow it for a week or two so you can build a block (provided I can be the first to get a block at a nice discount :))

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Well, if I can get my hands on an FTW3 from EVGA, and you guys aren't able to obtain the right data from EVGA, I'll let you borrow it for a week or two so you can build a block (provided I can be the first to get a block at a nice discount :))
I'll be sending mine direct to them if I manage to snatch one on launch

·
Booo
687 Posts
I'll be sending mine direct to them if I manage to snatch one on launch
The trick with the FTW3 now is, when will it launch? It's not launching on Thursday, and EVGA hasn't given a launch date yet. They said "a few days later", at least for the 3080. 3090 still on track for the 24th. I'm gonna try to get the 3080, as I'm not paying double the cost for a 20% increase in performance.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
366 Posts
It's looking more and more like GPUs are going the direction of mobos -- every model is different. So chances are we won't get physical working samples (maybe nuked demo samples) of all the cards to validate the blocks.

If we need tester cards and you send yours to us, we'll include a free block when we ship it back to you.

Right now, we want to pursue:
  • EVGA FTW3
  • ASUS Strix
  • Founders
Second wave:
  • ASUS TUF (same as strix?)
  • EVGA XC3
  • MSI
  • GIGABYTE
Third wave:
  • Reference? Zotac? PNY?
  • Kingpin when it's released :)
My guess is we'll have lots of requests for everything -- MSI, Gig, etc etc because quantities of the popular cards will be so limited. We're going to have to see what happens once the PCB designs start showing up.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i got an asus tuf on preorder i was aiming to get an nvidia card or "reference" but saw a preorder window and pull the trigger on that after looking at the whole dilema on the pcb issues .. hopefully they dont cancel it.. So, i put my name on that list for that block lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's looking more and more like GPUs are going the direction of mobos -- every model is different. So chances are we won't get physical working samples (maybe nuked demo samples) of all the cards to validate the blocks.

If we need tester cards and you send yours to us, we'll include a free block when we ship it back to you.

Right now, we want to pursue:
  • EVGA FTW3
  • ASUS Strix
  • Founders
Second wave:
  • ASUS TUF (same as strix?)
  • EVGA XC3
  • MSI
  • GIGABYTE
Third wave:
  • Reference? Zotac? PNY?
  • Kingpin when it's released :)
My guess is we'll have lots of requests for everything -- MSI, Gig, etc etc because quantities of the popular cards will be so limited. We're going to have to see what happens once the PCB designs start showing up.
This seems like a good order

Based on the gamers nexus review with overclocking the cards were consuming all of the 375W available to them, so the higher 3X8 pin versions are going to have more headroom, it is annoying that the FTW3 was delayed a few days because it had the full 525W and the other 3x8 were 450W. Not really sure it is worth waiting to try and get it though or just get what is available.

https://www.alphacool.com/detail/index/sArticle/27822/sCategory/20538 has a list of reference cards, none of the big brands.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i got an asus tuf on preorder i was aiming to get an nvidia card or "reference" but saw a preorder window and pull the trigger on that after looking at the whole dilema on the pcb issues .. hopefully they dont cancel it.. So, i put my name on that list for that block lol
who was doing preorders?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, it's looking like the 3080 fe is power limited on the fe card in terms of oc. This is... Really disappointing. Guess I'll have to research which 3090 pcb with more power connectors even fit in my case. I really wish the board partners release their pcb dimensions soon...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, it's looking like the 3080 fe is power limited on the fe card in terms of oc. This is... Really disappointing. Guess I'll have to research which 3090 pcb with more power connectors even fit in my case. I really wish the board partners release their pcb dimensions soon...
Yeah, same feeling, still might grab one just to flip and reduce the cost of a 3090

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just throwing this out there .. if you guys are having issues getting a 3090 FE from NV, if I get mine on release, I might be able to send it your way..

·
Registered
85 Posts

3080 breakdown but I can only assume the 3090 is similar if not the same. It doesn't look terribly difficult imo. I think its much easier than the 1080 ti.

Typically, how different are the cooler dimensions on a card vs the pcb not including the current FE version of the RTX 3000 series?

·
Registered
25 Posts
3090 Kingpin with an Optimus copper/acetal block sounds nice.

4521 - 4540 of 4644 Posts