Overclock.net banner
781 - 800 of 11786 Posts

·
BOINC Cruncher
Serenity Numbskull
1,026 Posts
I know your post is a little old but I've been struggling to keep decent temps with my EK Velocity (I also have a Heatkiller IV). How are thermals on the Foundation vs your Silver + Nickel Cuplex Kryos? Those are the top 2 on my list right now.
I would say on average between 2 - 5° C. better depending on the workload. My BOINC workload is very variable and works the cpu either harder or easier but on a synthetic workload like Prime95 or y-cruncher it is very consistent.

I had the Silver + PVD Cuplex Kryos block on it before. And before that I had the XSPC Raystorm Pro. I'm convinced the Silver coldplate of the AQ block and the direction of array flow across the dies is what allowed it to consistently beat the Raystorm Pro by 2° C. I think that the speed of heat conduction advantage that silver has over copper is a good portion of the improvement.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,
Yeah didn't know the velocity was that much worse than the heatkiller 4 pro thanks for that :thumb:
The difference is noticeable for sure. My 3900X during gaming averages 80W with stock clocks/voltage. At that power draw, I average 60C but will spike to the 70's sometimes with an ambient of ~21C. This is all with the EK Velocity +ThermalGrizzly Kryonaught paste. Those temps are rather high for a 360mm radiator + D5 at ~230 L/H per Aquasuite. Power draw is low so I see no reason other than poor block design for those temps. Meanwhile, my GPU also running an EK block sits around 35-40C with a dual 360mm loop (HW Labs SR2 + EK SE360 I added for fun) with a D5 giving me 270L/H+

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would say on average between 2 - 5° C. better depending on the workload. My BOINC workload is very variable and works the cpu either harder or easier but on a synthetic workload like Prime95 or y-cruncher it is very consistent.

I had the Silver + PVD Cuplex Kryos block on it before. And before that I had the XSPC Raystorm Pro. I'm convinced the Silver coldplate of the AQ block and the direction of array flow across the dies is what allowed it to consistently beat the Raystorm Pro by 2° C. I think that the speed of heat conduction advantage that silver has over copper is a good portion of the improvement.
Thank you for the info! Did you test it against the Optimus yet? I have no problem picking up the AC Cuplex in silver if it's the better block. I ordered my Optimus today and will put it to the test once it arrives next week. I changed my EK Velocity to be mounted 'Goofy' since temps seem to be better in that orientation

Edit: Did you adjust the AC block with their Vario screws to ensure the best contact?

·
Official OptimusPC.com
672 Posts
Hey Pilz,

Here's a rough ongoing list of our AMD user reviews:

RYZEN 3950x (16 core) REVIEWS:

"Holy cow, finished installing the block and got 7C drop from the Phanteks under load on the 3950X, really happy with it, AMAZING Block" Source

"I did drop about 5-6c with this block compared to both the EK Velocity and the heatkiller pro IV, so GREAT BLOCK HERE..." Source

"As a guess, from the temps I am seeing now, I will achieve the 5-6° that Optimus saysthey see in their tests." Source

"...it appears that when compared to my EisBlock, the Optimus is about 5c Cooler...I have to say this block is definitely a win! 10 Out of 10, Would Recommend!" (3950x and 3900x) Source

"...So, my take away from these temps is this new block probably lowers the temps by about 4 C..." Source

3900x REVIEWS:

"...without a DOUBT, the Optimus Block Outperforms Every AM4 Block I currently have... in Every Single Test I have run, the Optimus Outperforms the Eisblock by between 4 and 6c. The More Amps I push the chip, the bigger Difference I can measure..." Source

"The upgrade is 3-4degrees it appears...I did notice the flow rate for the block was much better than the heatkiller, it went up by 0.9-1 L/min." Source

"...it's stellar. The full coverage of the chiplets on the Ryzen 3900X definitely makes a difference vs corsair xc7 and ekwb velocity (which were the roughly the same performance)...I would say I see a ~3-5c (sometimes even higher) difference in all workloads as well as idle..." Source

MORE:

"The Optimus does out perform the Heatkiller on 3700x by about 4 degrees.
Optimus: 58-61
Heatkiller: 63-65
Noctua U12A: 66-70"
Source

Links didn't copy but you can see more here: https://optimuspc.com/products/foundation-cpu-block-amd

·
BOINC Cruncher
Serenity Numbskull
1,026 Posts
Thank you for the info! Did you test it against the Optimus yet? I have no problem picking up the AC Cuplex in silver if it's the better block. I ordered my Optimus today and will put it to the test once it arrives next week. I changed my EK Velocity to be mounted 'Goofy' since temps seem to be better in that orientation

Edit: Did you adjust the AC block with their Vario screws to ensure the best contact?
Yes, I did test with the Silver/PVD Cuplex Kryos Next block. That was what was on it before the Foundation block. The Foundation block is 2 - 5 ° better in average Tdie temps than the AQ block.
Mine was the Next block and not the Vario. Just the basic block without the Vario or the temp display.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Would a single D5 pump be strong enough for a triple rad setup in a Lian Li O11 XL or Phantek 719?
Hi,
Most people would want two d5's.
Heck I have two d5's on two 280gtx rads :)

·
Official OptimusPC.com
672 Posts
Is there customer service at Optimus? I ordered the Foundation, sent an email concerning it's status, but I get crickets.
Hey there, responded to your DM. We were hoping to get your block out today, but our Foundation AMD has been popular so it should take a few extra days until they can ship. Sorry for the delay!

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
EK makes good waterblocks.

If I'm gonna watercool, I'm using a bong, though. It works, and how!

The water never heats up, most often stays sub-ambient. There are issues..scale..corrosion check/cleaning every 6 mos.

I use Twinkle.

Since I put a filter on, the scale is much better. Green copper Lime scale is not pretty.

Tell ya what, I will not buy another XSPC waterblock. 3x (I have to use bleach) the water eroded a pinhole in the block and ruined cpu/mobo.

It really happened 5x, but twice I saved them. The mil on the copper plate is simply just too thin.

Hmm, wonder if I still have that universal EK GPU block?

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
EK used to make good waterblocks. Now they make mediocre ones. hopefully that changes with their next overhaul.

• Rep+
Reactions: Schmuckley

·
Old and Decrepit
2,652 Posts
Block arrived today Took a little longer than expected but oh well.
Initial presentation is OK. I am going to flush it, already cleaned the exterior. I can't speak for the interior but the exterior was not at all clean and there was some black gunk on the edge of the cold plate, not excatly a warm fuzzy out of the gate. That all cleaned up with 99% denatured alcohol. Attention to details goes a long way in my book.
Not so sure Im all that confident in the hardware even though it did come with springs that were not shown online I may still use the HK hardware to mount it as its just more robust.

Ill put some pics up later, plenty of time as the late arrival will have me behind on getting it installed. Busy Saturday and just got booked every day next week at a Digital Realty site.

Its a fairly chunky bit of metal, not quite as heavy as expected but performance is what matters most. The HK IV pro I believe actually has a bit more weight. Ill find all that out when I pull it and weigh each of them nekked.

Overall first impression was stained only by it not being pristine and clean. Cold plate under film looks good though. Ill have shots of both side by side once the HK IV is pulled and TIM cleaned.

Ill be going back with my go to thermal grizzly kryonaut. Yes, its thick, better for me since Im not pulling the board. If I had zero doubts would probably go ahead and pull the board and use conductonaut. While it doesnt get much better at thermal capacity its extremely easy to botch and impossible on a board thats vertical. Once its on there, its on there and takes a lot of time to remove and redo, not a wipe off clean up.

Depending on how my work day goes tomorrow may start with draining loop and begin rework on what I know Im doing anyhow and add the 3 extra SSDs I bought and rework rads.

Currently 480 on top, 480 0n bottom and 360 in front. May end up with 480 on top, 360 on bottom, 280 mid and fans in front or any combination there of. May even just put all fans in the top and the 480 in the front.

Everything hinges on whether I leave my Bitspower dual D5 where it is. Its either there or relocated to bottom with a 360 instead of a 480. Too many ideas going at once ATM. In the least there is a Phanteks D140 distro going in the back and a crossflow 480, may go on top or bottom Depending on whether or not I add the 280 back in and remove the front 360.

Im just glad Im not trying to cram all this in an evolv shift x. Even though the case is huge having 5 Samsung 1TB evos and a 905P, might even try to shoewhorn the pair of 900P AICs I have back in but that will be a PITA with vertical GPUs, would have to use another type of mount or just take them off the mount and use long PCIE extensions and work them to the back with industrial Velcro. Will be interesting to say the least.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,652 Posts
EK makes good waterblocks.

If I'm gonna watercool, I'm using a bong, though. It works, and how!

The water never heats up, most often stays sub-ambient. There are issues..scale..corrosion check/cleaning every 6 mos.

I use Twinkle.

Since I put a filter on, the scale is much better. Green copper Lime scale is not pretty.

Tell ya what, I will not buy another XSPC waterblock. 3x (I have to use bleach) the water eroded a pinhole in the block and ruined cpu/mobo.

It really happened 5x, but twice I saved them. The mil on the copper plate is simply just too thin.

Hmm, wonder if I still have that universal EK GPU block?
Im going to ditto on the slipping of EK. Not writing them off as there is still a demand and so long as thats there they will keep their doors open. Thing is though the market is growing with more competition which is a good thing. Id say 5 years ago they were at or near top heap, not so much anymore. Honestly when I waited an eternity for the 2080Ti Strix blocks that were released a few months behind what was promised I was disappointed in the aesthetics. They said the hold up was the back plate but the rest of it IMO is one UGLY card.

Im not so much for EK, they mess up the percolation of the bong water.

Even the Phanteks who is new perfromed about the same without a back plate and IMO looks a lot better. Thats whats in there now but changing out to HK. I really like the aquacumputer blocks but they dont go outside of FE or Titans and they are always top heap with the active backplate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
Im going to ditto on the slipping of EK. Not writing them off as there is still a demand and so long as thats there they will keep their doors open. Thing is though the market is growing with more competition which is a good thing. Id say 5 years ago they were at or near top heap, not so much anymore. Honestly when I waited an eternity for the 2080Ti Strix blocks that were released a few months behind what was promised I was disappointed in the aesthetics. They said the hold up was the back plate but the rest of it IMO is one UGLY card.

Im not so much for EK, they mess up the percolation of the bong water.

Even the Phanteks who is new perfromed about the same without a back plate and IMO looks a lot better. Thats whats in there now but changing out to HK. I really like the aquacumputer blocks but they dont go outside of FE or Titans and they are always top heap with the active backplate.
So who makes a good anodized thick-plate waterblock now?

·
Old and Decrepit
2,652 Posts
So who makes a good anodized thick-plate waterblock now?
Who Knows, Ive not had issue with my HK IV but Thrash came up in here twisting my arm and forced me to drop $200 on an Optimus Signature V2. Ill let you know how it works out! LOL

EK just burned my buns with monoblocks and a few seeeping GPU blocks. Never did like the reservoirs in the first place. Im just saying they need to step up their game before they fall too far behind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Pilz,

Here's a rough ongoing list of our AMD user reviews:

RYZEN 3950x (16 core) REVIEWS:

"Holy cow, finished installing the block and got 7C drop from the Phanteks under load on the 3950X, really happy with it, AMAZING Block" Source

"I did drop about 5-6c with this block compared to both the EK Velocity and the heatkiller pro IV, so GREAT BLOCK HERE..." Source

"As a guess, from the temps I am seeing now, I will achieve the 5-6° that Optimus saysthey see in their tests." Source

"...it appears that when compared to my EisBlock, the Optimus is about 5c Cooler...I have to say this block is definitely a win! 10 Out of 10, Would Recommend!" (3950x and 3900x) Source

"...So, my take away from these temps is this new block probably lowers the temps by about 4 C..." Source

3900x REVIEWS:

"...without a DOUBT, the Optimus Block Outperforms Every AM4 Block I currently have... in Every Single Test I have run, the Optimus Outperforms the Eisblock by between 4 and 6c. The More Amps I push the chip, the bigger Difference I can measure..." Source

"The upgrade is 3-4degrees it appears...I did notice the flow rate for the block was much better than the heatkiller, it went up by 0.9-1 L/min." Source

"...it's stellar. The full coverage of the chiplets on the Ryzen 3900X definitely makes a difference vs corsair xc7 and ekwb velocity (which were the roughly the same performance)...I would say I see a ~3-5c (sometimes even higher) difference in all workloads as well as idle..." Source

MORE:

"The Optimus does out perform the Heatkiller on 3700x by about 4 degrees.
Optimus: 58-61
Heatkiller: 63-65
Noctua U12A: 66-70"
Source

Links didn't copy but you can see more here: https://optimuspc.com/products/foundation-cpu-block-amd
Thank you, I prefer real reviews by sites that actually test by some sort of scientific method. Steve at GN does an excellent job conducting comparisons of everything for example.

I can test the 3 of mine at a fixed ambient temp (not sure if my wife will be happy when I take the HK IV out of her PC so I might hold off on that one for now).

I haven't seen any trusted places do a proper review and compare the top 2 against this. Those are the Watercool Heatkiller IV and Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos Next w/Vision.
I've build dozens of PCs over the years so time will tell with this block. I run Mayhem's Pastel coolant which has never caused ant issues for me

Yes, I did test with the Silver/PVD Cuplex Kryos Next block. That was what was on it before the Foundation block. The Foundation block is 2 - 5 ° better in average Tdie temps than the AQ block.
Mine was the Next block and not the Vario. Just the basic block without the Vario or the temp display.

The Vario would likely perform a bit better from what I've seen. I have a full AC set up (pumps, sensors, flow meters, controller etc) so getting one with Vision would be my plan if the Optimus disappoints.

I'm an engineer and very particular with quality of components and how things are presented. EK dropped the ball with their latest series.

I might go AC for the next GPU block I get when Nvidia launches their new cards. Having flow rate data and temp sensors in the block is pretty cool and very useful for me.

EK used to make good waterblocks. Now they make mediocre ones. hopefully that changes with their next overhaul.

·
BOINC Cruncher
Serenity Numbskull
1,026 Posts
Give Optimus a break. You can't expect a newcomer to the market to have review samples in the hands of web tech review sites on first day of product announcement or availability. I would like to see the Foundation block reviewed by water cooling review sites like Igor's Lab and ExtremeRigs. They seem to do a really thorough review with good test setups and writeups. I believe they stated they would get review samples out to the reviewers as soon as they got caught up with the initial demand.

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
Who Knows, Ive not had issue with my HK IV but Thrash came up in here twisting my arm and forced me to drop $200 on an Optimus Signature V2. Ill let you know how it works out! LOL

EK just burned my buns with monoblocks and a few seeeping GPU blocks. Never did like the reservoirs in the first place. Im just saying they need to step up their game before they fall too far behind.
Seeping is no bueno!

781 - 800 of 11786 Posts