Overclock.net banner
9501 - 9520 of 9928 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Can I get silver instead of copper? Have the block cost more then the card!

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Really would only need the cold plate but having the whole thing in silver would look cooler I'd think. Then instead of acrylic make it out of gold. Now that would look sick.

·
Founder
2,190 Posts
FWIW, I've been keeping you in mind regarding them.

I'm actually now looking at having the plates milled (CNC) out of copper in such a way that I don't have to mess with shims. That way I could also work in multiple mounting points for blocks that could be added to the front as well (e.g., a few different options like mp5s, the bitspower P900 blocks, smaller blocks, etc.; while keeping in mind that I might want to still use a separate block for the gpu itself). I'll also be adding slotted ventilation to the plates that won't interfere with block mounting and screw holes that would allow you to add forced air as an additional option (similar to the fan on the hybrid KPE).

They might not end up looking as pretty as what Optimus is working on, but they should get the job done. That said, the work is somewhat more tedious given how exacting the tolerances have to be.
I appreciate you keeping me in mind! I hear ya on the shim work. I respect the process in whichever way you want to go, but if it were me, I would just snag shims from McMaster and plan accordingly with the copper plate in regards to thermal pad and shim thicknesses.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,512 ·
you guys are nuts lol
They are. Holding the equivalent of Investment Grade Gold/Silver Bar lol. Not an easy thing to get ahold of.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
594 Posts
Will kingpin blocks be a few weeks wait after order? Or will they ship out within a week or two
Our current plan is to allow orders once the blocks are being manufactured. That also helps us know how many to make in what quantities so we can balance with other product.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A silver cold plate would be fantastic both for a KPE and a threadripper block. I probably wouldn’t spring for silver on the GPU block myself, but I know some would. I would strongly consider a silver block for a Zen 4 threadripper, assuming that the socket and block would work for at least 1 upgrade to Zen 5.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds good! I’m excited to see what temps happen, right now I sit at about 12-14c delta between water and gpu temps, and 10c or so between water and ambient temps that’s at 500-520w or so.
Are you guys thinking 8-10c even with 500 or 1000w bios?

I like the block now but want something better that will last long term and is not a pain in the rear to take apart and clean etc when needed.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
594 Posts
A silver cold plate would be fantastic both for a KPE and a threadripper block. I probably wouldn’t spring for silver on the GPU block myself, but I know some would. I would strongly consider a silver block for a Zen 4 threadripper, assuming that the socket and block would work for at least 1 upgrade to Zen 5.
We like silver, we've actually made cold plates out of the good stuff before for fun :D The biggest issue with adding silver to a loop is galvanic corrosion. Already, loops have problems with radiators, bad components, etc and that's with coolants that have tons of corrosion inhibitors. Silver adds another factor. And it'd be a LOT of silver :)

That said, we'll probably do an entire silver system: blocks, fittings, radiator, etc etc. Starting price: $20k.

Sounds good! I’m excited to see what temps happen, right now I sit at about 12-14c delta between water and gpu temps, and 10c or so between water and ambient temps that’s at 500-520w or so.
Are you guys thinking 8-10c even with 500 or 1000w bios?

I like the block now but want something better that will last long term and is not a pain in the rear to take apart and clean etc when needed.
Cool, what block are you using for those temps? And yes 8-10c with the big boy bios is how we test. And what others are reporting with ftw3 blocks :) The KP should just be a lot more stable at the higher numbers, regardless of temps. So we'll see how high people can get them with good cooling :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the Kingpin Hydro Copper card so it’s whatever block that EVGA makes or has a 3rd party make for their card, it’s okay but I can’t wait to throw an Absolute block on there.

I am not sure if any other water block companies have made a kingpin block, I assume not as I was unable to find anything

·
Official OptimusPC.com
594 Posts
I bought the Kingpin Hydro Copper card so it’s whatever block that EVGA makes or has a 3rd party make for their card, it’s okay but I can’t wait to throw an Absolute block on there.

I am not sure if any other water block companies have made a kingpin block, I assume not as I was unable to find anything
Yeah those blocks aren't really optimized for extreme performance. Last gen some chinese company made a KP block, but it was trash

·
Registered
5 Posts
We like silver, we've actually made cold plates out of the good stuff before for fun :D The biggest issue with adding silver to a loop is galvanic corrosion. Already, loops have problems with radiators, bad components, etc and that's with coolants that have tons of corrosion inhibitors. Silver adds another factor. And it'd be a LOT of silver :)

That said, we'll probably do an entire silver system: blocks, fittings, radiator, etc etc. Starting price: $20k.
lol, 20k would be well out of my price range… at least up front. I could see buying a fitting here, a block there, though, and ending with a high value system.

As for corrosion, I’ve been using kill coils forever, and I’ve had my original black ice extreme rads in use one way or another for 18 years now. I would think if silver was a problem, those old rads would be Swiss cheese at this point

9501 - 9520 of 9928 Posts