Overclock.net banner
9921 - 9940 of 10921 Posts

·
Still here...
5,017 Posts
@LiquidHaus Figured I'd let you know where the backplate stands for the KPE 3090:

I'll drill the screw holes myself (reflected in yellow) on the drill press, but all the other cutouts will be done by water jet or cnc:

As for the lip that goes around the edge of the plate where the small screw holes are, I'll use something like mylar plastic washers for the offset (haven't sourced them yet).

The nice thing about doing this is now I'll be able to fasten anything I want to the backplate using countersunk holes on the inside of the plate. It'll make for a much tighter fit thermal-wise, and I won't have to drill any holes in the oem backplate.

Once I tighten up the specs, I'll submit the file for production.

·
Overclocker
787 Posts
So it looks like optimus finally has flex fittings available. Ordered some but there is a quantity limit of 2 6 packs. I need 2 more 6 packs for the 2 upcoming builds I have planned. If I put a second order in to get around this is it getting cancelled?

·
Founder
2,222 Posts
@LiquidHaus Figured I'd let you know where the backplate stands for the KPE 3090:

I'll drill the screw holes myself (reflected in yellow) on the drill press, but all the other cutouts will be done by water jet or cnc:
View attachment 2518395

As for the lip that goes around the edge of the plate where the small screw holes are, I'll use something like mylar plastic washers for the offset (haven't sourced them yet).

The nice thing about doing this is now I'll be able to fasten anything I want to the backplate using countersunk holes on the inside of the plate. It'll make for a much tighter fit thermal-wise, and I won't have to drill any holes in the oem backplate.

Once I tighten up the specs, I'll submit the file for production.
That's epic man, nice work on that! What is your solution that you have planned for an actively cooled attachment for your backplate then? For instance, I have one of those MP5 backplate blocks as well as a Bitspower HDD block. Both are quite different since the HDD block would be screwed into place while the MP5 block is meant to use the included hook and bungie system.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,924 ·
For those searching for GPU, don't give up hope. Memory Express called me about my backordered 3080Strix (Oct 2020 backorder) and my good friend really wanted to upgrade GPU so let him have it (didn't need otherwise). Friend got good deal, paid 1219cad per taxes (1366cad here).

·
Still here...
5,017 Posts
That's epic man, nice work on that! What is your solution that you have planned for an actively cooled attachment for your backplate then? For instance, I have one of those MP5 backplate blocks as well as a Bitspower HDD block. Both are quite different since the HDD block would be screwed into place while the MP5 block is meant to use the included hook and bungie system.
Thanks. I'm actually checking out blocks specifically designed for the purpose now since doing away with the hybrid pump/block combo also does away with the need to access those four larger screw holes on the backplate. I could easily go as large as 150x80mm block-wise (e.g., here's a smaller, Bitspower example) . Heck, if I really wanted to go overboard, I could even surround the block with air cooled heat sinks (the whole backplate will be a solid 3-5mm thick piece of copper).

Anyway, haven't made up my mind yet about which block I'll attach to the backplate, but it'll be something I can tighten down using screws, and use quality tim like Kryonaut with. My preference of course would include a block that provides great flow and thermal conductivity/efficiency.

Lastly, also thinking about bright nickel plating the copper backplate once all cutting/drilling is done, as an anticorrosive (anti-tarnish) measure.

Edit (added): so I did some additional research online and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Bitspower's BP-EVB3090 for the backplate. It ticks what needs ticking and will cover all of the VRAM. It's designed to be used with thermal pads which only cover the VRAM themselves on the reference 3090, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to improve on that mounting it directly to a sheet of plated copper using a quality TIM interface.

Only drawback is Taiwan's the only place it's available at the moment, and Bitspower wants $45 to ship the block to the US. I'll call them on Monday when they're open and request an invoice, which has resulted in better shipping options in the past.

2nd edit (add): as for the MP5WORKS block, there'd be a relatively simple mounting solution given what I described above. Instead of using their bungee cords mounting schema, I'd disassemble the block and reassemble it using longer screws through countersunk holes on the backplate as well. Again, would make for a much tighter fit and Kryonaut could be used in place of the thermal pads.

I might order one of them as well.

Anyway, ran the file I worked up through my waterjet cutter's online system, and it processed okay. I'll order the backplate this week (0.125" 310 copper):

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,927 ·

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,929 ·

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,931 ·

·
Registered
788 Posts
Im tempted to jump to but awaiting final results
My 10900K is a POS. I'm hoping the X299 successor drops pretty quick so that I can avoid the consumer platform all together. The leaked results are extremely promising for a very early sample chip with JEDEC DDR5 (slow as piss) and a low-end mobo. I think it's going to rock!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,933 ·
My 10900K is a POS. I'm hoping the X299 successor drops pretty quick so that I can avoid the consumer platform all together. The leaked results are extremely promising for a very early sample chip with JEDEC DDR5 (slow as piss) and a low-end mobo. I think it's going to rock!
I am tired of ryzen lol and i got the cooling to handle a lot. Already lot of ppl who want my 5950x etc lol

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wouldn't touch a Ryzen. Maybe next-gen .. but I was not impressed at all with Ryzen outside of the nice improvements they made from chip to chip. Great that AMD is at least relevant again, but for gaming they really haven't done much to make me feel justified in the cost.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,515 Posts
I wouldn't touch a Ryzen. Maybe next-gen .. but I was not impressed at all with Ryzen outside of the nice improvements they made from chip to chip. Great that AMD is at least relevant again, but for gaming they really haven't done much to make me feel justified in the cost.
I’m trying to figure out the market segment myself. Not in data centers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a question: does anyone want raw copper or raw brass finish? Anyone interested in a line of pure copper fittings, rather than brass and, ahem, mystery brass?
Good day.

I was always interested in buying raw copper/brass fittings. Sure i'm not alone.

I have a question, last friday i ordered ftw3 block with black backplate because it was available. Will silver backplate will be available before ftw3 block will be rady for shipping?

Now i have an answer for my question. I got email from Optimus that my ftw3 block is on the way and a track number. That was pretty fast.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,938 ·
That’s most likely because the backlog on that block (first one they did) is cleared. Now try and order a strix block.
Lol. I am probably number 1 on strix list lol

9921 - 9940 of 10921 Posts