Overclock.net banner
11201 - 11220 of 11344 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
2022 - War of 140mm Fans.

Also i have finalized my Alderlake Upgrade (Good thing i sold extra stuff)

ROG Z690 -Either Strix(High End) or Hero
Gskill DDR5-6400 (CL36)

I’ve thought about it and looked at different memory options. And I’ve decided I’m going with a DDR4 Alderlake motherboard. Even the best DDR5 memory announced so far has 60% more bandwidth, but also 60% higher latency compared to a DDR4-4000-14 set. For any application that doesn’t require high memory bandwidth (as in…any application where your memory bandwidth is not causing a bottleneck) latency will be more important. So I don’t see the point of paying extra money for new ram that will give me lower performance if the main purpose of my build is gaming.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I’ve thought about it and looked at different memory options. And I’ve decided I’m going with a DDR4 Alderlake motherboard. Even the best DDR5 memory announced so far has 60% more bandwidth, but also 60% higher latency compared to a DDR4-4000-14 set. For any application that doesn’t require high memory bandwidth (as in…any application where your memory bandwidth is not causing a bottleneck) latency will be more important. So I don’t see the point of paying extra money for new ram that will give me lower performance if the main purpose of my build is gaming.
Rumor has it that only low end boards will be DDR4.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,203 ·
Tableware Hood Product Chair Drinkware

MDPC-X also money sinkhole lol. So many nice new colors. Just got friends aluminum grey (got one coming for avaitor cable). Damn nice

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Rumor has it that only low end boards will be DDR4.
I’ve seen that from Asus at least so far. Yeah. Figured I’d buy a different brand this time around after using Asus exclusively for over 20 years. If every other brand is doing the same thing, then I’m in trouble and won’t know what to do. Haha. Although boards are generally quite overbuilt for the basic levels of overclocking we’re doing nowadays anyway.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I’ve seen that from Asus at least so far. Yeah. Figured I’d buy a different brand this time around after using Asus exclusively for over 20 years. If every other brand is doing the same thing, then I’m in trouble and won’t know what to do. Haha. Although boards are generally quite overbuilt for the basic levels of overclocking we’re doing nowadays anyway.
MSI has been giving us a lot of smart power stages at the mid range with the Carbon and Unify. Asus charges more at every feature level.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,206 ·
Fair point there. I suspect the Strix will have DDR4 variant. Nice talk that keeps us all involved in the hobby.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,207 ·
MSI has been giving us a lot of smart power stages at the mid range with the Carbon and Unify. Asus charges more at every feature level.
Motherboard are very personal. Through work i have tried almost all brands but i still prefer Asus. mainly for its rog bios. I just don't want to learn new bios again so easier i stick with Asus.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Motherboard are very personal. Through work i have tried almost all brands but i still prefer Asus. mainly for its rog bios. I just don't want to learn new bios again so easier i stick with Asus.
I had a Z590 Apex but switched to the Asrock Z590 OC Formula and I’m glad I did. Asus bioses would gain or lose performance with each revision. I wasn’t impressed. AsRock nailed it on release and I never felt compelled to update my bios. I think Asus is having their intern write all the bioses.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,209 ·
I had a Z590 Apex but switched to the Asrock Z590 OC Formula and I’m glad I did. Asus bioses would gain or lose performance with each revision. I wasn’t impressed. AsRock nailed it on release and I never felt compelled to update my bios. I think Asus is having their intern write all the bioses.
What's most important is you are happy with your product lol.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Here are the new chromax fans. Definitely not a fan of the center nipple. The cable is short by default with an extension.

Font Automotive design Metal Bicycle part Fashion accessory

Automotive design Output device Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget

Sports gear Helmet Automotive tire Ball Rim

Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel

Automotive tire Output device Automotive design Audio equipment Font

Plant Steering part Window Automotive design Steering wheel

• Rep+
Reactions: Section31

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,212 ·

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The prototype from 2019 looks way better in my opinion.

Peripheral Computer cooling Output device Ventilation fan Audio equipment

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently bought a second hand Sig V2 block for my 10900k. Didn't clean the block :((
On heavy load the cpu seems to be a bit too hot (imo). At around 280w cpu power draw the cpu temps rise to 94c. CPU is not delidded.
Pumpspeed did not really affect cpu temps (1-2c maybe). Water temps max out at 29c

are seems temps normal for the block?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recently bought a second hand Sig V2 block for my 10900k. Didn't clean the block :((
On heavy load the cpu seems to be a bit too hot (imo). At around 280w cpu power draw the cpu temps rise to 94c. CPU is not delidded.
Pumpspeed did not really affect cpu temps (1-2c maybe). Water temps max out at 29c

I would definitely take it apart and clean the block. It gets clogged very easily.

·
Registered
746 Posts

Block is either clogged or you have poor mounting contact. That is way to high for a 10900k. Unless your pushing like 5.4-5.5ghz.

Do yourself a favor. On your next tear down to check and clean the block. Install a real proper flow sensor...... There are so many reasons to have one. One being the ability to see real time flow problems. Id recommend the High flow 2 sensor from aquacomputer.

• Rep+
Reactions: chibi

·
Registered
44 Posts
Block is either clogged or you have poor mounting contact. That is way to high for a 10900k. Unless your pushing like 5.4-5.5ghz.

Do yourself a favor. On your next tear down to check and clean the block. Install a real proper flow sensor...... There are so many reasons to have one. One being the ability to see real time flow problems. Id recommend the High flow 2 sensor from aquacomputer.
I do in fact have a flow sensor ;-) and my cpu is unable to hit 5.4Ghz without at least 1.425v. But a power draw of 285watt is already relatively high, thats with 1.3625v.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

+Rep and post for anyone else on the fence of getting a proper flow sensor. This one is the bees knees and a highly accurate built in temp sensor as well. Less cables to run for this aio sensor. (y)

• Rep+
Reactions: Section31

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,220 ·

Great candidate for future sponsorship by aquacomputer. Don’t send to linus, youtube guys. Send to users here.

11201 - 11220 of 11344 Posts