Overclock.net banner

121 - 140 of 7246 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Exactly. Compared to a 7960 or 7980, the 7900X die is very small and narrow. Even with direct die mounting like I have, proper contact between the die and the block is critical. Also, if the block only hits the center of the die due to it not being flat, it will put unwanted pressure in the center of the assembly which can bend it thus possibly causing it to not make proper contact in the socket. My 7900x was a bear to get mounted correctly with direct die. It is VERY sensitive to uneven pressure applied by the die frame. Add to that an uneven block surface, and you may as well buy stock in Thermal Grizzly, because you are going to use a lot of liquid metal trying to get the thermal contact just right.
Hi,
Yeah I ordered a direct die frame off aliexpress it never showed up although the shipper said it did
Had to contact credit card and dispute the the charge from the obvious fraud seller aliexpress automatically took sides with never use that rat**** site again but it's all good cc did it's job well :doh:

·
BOINC Cruncher
Serenity Numbskull
951 Posts
I would be interested in them if you offer them.
I am also interested in the alternate mounting studs that would thread into the stock AMD backplate. Let us know when you have them available.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
EK probably has amd mounting kits I know watercool does but not sure what type it is bolts or studs and nuts.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Received my Optimus Foundation water block today. It will be replacing the Corsair XC7 water block. My plan is to compare the 2 water blocks to determine if it might be possible to use the Corsair mounting hardware.
A question concerning temps. I have my CH8 displaying the CPU temp thru the on board display which seems to match the CPU temp from the Nuvoton chip on the MB. Of course HWiNFO shows many other temps. What temperature do you guy's monitor?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Reminder to all here, no matter the block, please don't overscrew. I have noticed this with the heatkiller block on my 3700x. You actually don't want to screw it till its slightly tight as it doesn't take a lot for the cpu to get stuck to the cpu block. Once you pull out the block, the cpu will come out with it. Then you have long time cleaning the cpu.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
466 Posts
Received my Optimus Foundation water block today. It will be replacing the Corsair XC7 water block. My plan is to compare the 2 water blocks to determine if it might be possible to use the Corsair mounting hardware.
A question concerning temps. I have my CH8 displaying the CPU temp thru the on board display which seems to match the CPU temp from the Nuvoton chip on the MB. Of course HWiNFO shows many other temps. What temperature do you guy's monitor?
Great, let me know how it goes!

·
Official OptimusPC.com
466 Posts
Reminder to all here, no matter the block, please don't overscrew. I have noticed this with the heatkiller block on my 3700x. You actually don't want to screw it till its slightly tight as it doesn't take a lot for the cpu to get stuck to the cpu block. Once you pull out the block, the cpu will come out with it. Then you have long time cleaning the cpu.
Definitely. The AM4 needs a redesign. Threadripper is solid, but these cpus pull out way too easily. We've used a number of AM4 blocks and they almost all create suction, which causes the CPU to pull out when dismounting the block.

Also, because the clamping system clamps onto the pins, it seems like it's easy to damage the pins with any waterblock that creates good contact.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
My Signature ultra flat is on its way, looking forward to comparing it to my Heatkiller IV Pro.

Not looking forward to reapplying the liquid metal though, damn stuff gets everywhere

·
Official OptimusPC.com
466 Posts
My Signature ultra flat is on its way, looking forward to comparing it to my Heatkiller IV Pro.

Not looking forward to reapplying the liquid metal though, damn stuff gets everywhere
Awesome! Let me know how it goes :) Performance should be great :) If there are issues, some have reported die frames out there not machined perfectly and the block doesn't make correct contact. But if ya run into any issues, shoot us an email, we'll take care of it :)

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
too honest, you'll never make it in this business! ;)

I hear that in my head often while cashing checks for tasks other shops attempt to throw parts at.

·
Registered
782 Posts

I think I am going to order a Signature too when II get back from Florida in a few weeks. See how it compares to my EVO on my 7900X direct die. Not sure if I am going for the ultra flat or standard. Chime in Optimus if you like :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I wish we could get people to test out the GPU waterblocks tested out. I am really curious how they perform compared to the rest.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
sure, as soon as a 2080ti block actually exists, I'll let you know.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
I think I am going to order a Signature too when II get back from Florida in a few weeks. See how it compares to my EVO on my 7900X direct die. Not sure if I am going for the ultra flat or standard. Chime in Optimus if you like :)
Hi,
Ultra flat would probably be best "no flexing" to deal with
The die for the most part should be flat so contact should be a lot easier with a flat block.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
466 Posts
Hey hey, to answer some questions:

-2080Ti Reference GPU blocks with copper midplates start shipping next week. They're being made right now and they're the best product we've made so far :D

-GPU performance is, like everything, dependent on the silicon lottery. If you're pushing higher wattage through your block, you'll see some nice improvement. We've done some really new things to cool VRMs and the like so you can get higher MHz due to less power consumption.

-That said, it's really hard to give exact numbers. Every GPU we test is different. But compared to the competitor blocks we've tested, ours has the top numbers, especially in custom OC situations. And, of course, it's extremely corrosion and crack resistant. Can't wait to get it in people's hands!!

-Threadripper will be released after GPU blocks go out. Surface area really is 3X+ larger than the next best competitor.

-For bare die, we recommend our Standard Signature. There is zero flex in that block, given it's made out of a solid block of brass. The cold plate is made for bare die as well as normal IHS. If you have a LAPPED IHS, then you need the ultra flat block.

-We're going to stop selling the ultra flat block for bare die because our regular one is the best choice and the die brackets on the market aren't precise enough for users to get consistent results. Our GPU block is, of course, ultra flat for the GPU naked die like the pc gods intended.

-If bare die continues to be viable (looking at you, Intel), then we'll make our own bracket/system.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ordered a foundation block for AMD (before discovering that the mounting requires removal of the factory backplate). Any chance Optimus will release a different mounting system akin to that of EK Evo or XSPC Raystorm blocks? I would rather not take of the backplate off my Aorus Xtreme.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
next week you say? =\

must resist. I was gonna stick a morpheus on this 2080ti & call it my go to backup for the next decade.

Ordered a foundation block for AMD (before discovering that the mounting requires removal of the factory backplate). Any chance Optimus will release a different mounting system akin to that of EK Evo or XSPC Raystorm blocks? I would rather not take of the backplate off my Aorus Xtreme.
there's a post not too far back (2-3 days ago max) that goes over how they're handling this.

I believe it was along the lines of sending out screws to those that wanna retain the back plate.

·
Official OptimusPC.com
466 Posts
next week you say? =\

must resist. I was gonna stick a morpheus on this 2080ti & call it my go to backup for the next decade.

there's a post not too far back (2-3 days ago max) that goes over how they're handling this.

I believe it was along the lines of sending out screws to those that wanna retain the back plate.
Don't resist! :D

For the backplate, really, removing the AMD backplate is the best option. It's there for the stock air coolers. The whole AMD AM4 socket leaves much to be desired. As long as you don't overdo the tightening, you won't have any issues. This is true for all waterblocks.

We're still evaluating options, but the AMD backplate with standoffs that go through the motherboard doesn't provide enough room for mounting our block to that backplate.

Ultimately, you'll get top performance using our screw and nut system :)

TIP: WIGGLE YOUR BLOCKS OFF -- the AMD clamp and pin mount is terrible. Some waterblocks will create suction that can pull the CPU out of the socket, causing pins to be damaged. Try to wiggle then pry off the block, not just lift it straight up like you would with Intel and Threadripper.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
we'll see what the Christmas bonus looks like, maybe :D

^^ can confirm, have ripped AMD chips outta that crappy 2 dollar plastic socket they're so committed to retaining.

121 - 140 of 7246 Posts