Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys been thinking and if I did get a second card which motherboards fit the bill?

as you know my gene is pretty small and is only 1 x 16 pcie

need some opinions! don't really fancy the maximus extreme as I think its overpriced for what it is
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow the hero has 2 x 16 pcie? I didn't think it did, ill check it out
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
only motherboards with a plx chip on socket lga 1150 have full x16 3.0 bandwidth cpu only has 16 lanes of pci-e

but x8 x8 3.0 is equal to x16 x16 2.0

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 5 LGA

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Unless you buy a board such as the Maximus VI Extreme that has a PLX chip your not going to get full x16 on both slots, haswell has only 16 lanes of PCIE so.... yeah but x8 3.0 is like having x16 2.0 which is more then enough for any card on the market. I went from a Maximus VI FORMULA, to a MAXIMUS VI Extreme, to a Sabertooth x79 the latter 2 have full x16/x16 Crossfire and even on 290x's that don't have crossfire bridges so everything goes though the PCIE lanes, i noticed 0 improvements in graphics benchmarks.

My Vote is the Maximus VI Hero, its $200 i think, and it has a good set of features.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstock76 View Post

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 5 LGA
don't buy the sniper. Get either the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO or GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H that should be more than enough.

I would avoid anything with a PLX chip if i was you. It adds latency. 2x 8x PCIexpress 3.0 is fast enough for dual sli or crossfire

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanian View Post

don't buy the sniper. Get either the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO or GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H that should be more than enough.

I would avoid anything with a PLX chip if i was you. It adds latency. 2x 8x PCIexpress 3.0 is fast enough for dual sli or crossfire
Ya I would never buy a Giga or an ASRock MB. The reliability isn't as good as the ASUS. I just answered the question the OP asked.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Guess that everybody is entitled to their opinions, but a blanket statement of "I would never buy brand XX or XX because reliability isn't as good as Asus" is about a miss-informed statement as anyone could make. Especially if you clumped Gigabyte in as a brand XX.

• Rep+
Reactions: DeXel

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstock76 View Post

Ya I would never buy a Giga or an ASRock MB. The reliability isn't as good as the ASUS. I just answered the question the OP asked.
biggrin.gif
My one and only ASROCK board, died twice within 3 months.... Z77 OC Formula first came DOA newegg RMA was good had a new one in box in 3 days. That one lasted about 3 months, only PCIE slot that worked was the top one, Emailed ASROCK on a monday, got a reply friday to reset the BIOS, which i had told them in the orginal email i had already done. RMA was approved the thursday 2 weeks after my first contact with them. My RMA agent was Deisy i think, I sent my board in that friday, it got to ASROCK the next tuesday. I waited a month and heard nothing and saw no new board in the mail, i emailed again, got no responce for another 2 weeks, where i was told my RMA agent Deisy had left on Materinity leave, and she was the agent who would need to finish the RMA process. So it took a total of 2 months once it got to ASROCK america before they sent a new one out.

It sucks about ASROCK, they always have great priced well featured boards, I always click on them when im looking at new systems, but then i say to myself never again, the service suck, and their quality control is horrible as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'm not sure that I would personally buy an ASRock board, but I don't have any problem picking Gigabyte over Asus sometimes. And (at least in my experience) Gigabyte products have been as reliable as Asus products when considering motherboards and video cards.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevsspot View Post

Guess that everybody is entitled to their opinions, but a blanket statement of "I would never buy brand XX or XX because reliability isn't as good as Asus" is about a miss-informed statement as anyone could make. Especially if you clumped Gigabyte in as a brand XX.
It's not a blanket statement. I've been building gaming rigs for a few years now and I prefer ASUS. It's not a misinformed opinion by any stretch of the imagination. You're statement is misinformed by assuming I have no idea what I'm talking about. My view point comes from experience and community feedback.

·
Go Again!
5,871 Posts
I own two Asus z87 boards from the gold line and they are both really solid z87-plus $160 and z87-A $130. both offer SLI pcie 3.0 8x. The only gigabyte board I ever owned was on amd platform but it was solid board.

The only Mobo I ever truly had issues with was made by MSI although not exactly their fault I paired a fx6300 on a 970-g46. It did scare me from buying a MSI z87 though even though those boards have good reviews. Which sucks cause i loved the look of the msi boards and own msi gpus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts