Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my family has a business that uses a pretty basic program to lookup customer info. the computer its currently running on is probably 10 years old or close to it and its starting to die. i havent diagnosed it yet as it may be something as simple as a dying power supply but if its possible to upgrade it with some cheap parts i may just do that. i know it has an IDE HDD but if it was possible to clone that to a small SSD i would probably do that. it isnt connected to the net so its pretty basic.

what im wondering is will XP have issues with new hardware (drivers)? i think i have a G1610 ivy chip in the closet i could use and a few other parts but i would need a board if anyone has any suggestions.

·
It's a me
2,882 Posts
Don't clone to an SSD, No AHCI or TRIM in XP. Just clone to a newer basic 500GB hard drive and make sure AHCI is NOT enabled. Use legacy or IDE mode. New hardware should be no problem, just use Intel if you were previously using an intel system and vice versa. If you have issues booting with the new hardware, XP had an awesome repair mode that will likely fix it, you just need a legit XP disc.

BTW, there is a registry hack to allow XP to still receive critical security updates. Just google it.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what would be the best way to clone the IDE drive to the SATA drive? some type of docking station/converter or can it be done through USB? ive never had to do it with such old hardware before.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMach1 View Post

what would be the best way to clone the IDE drive to the SATA drive? some type of docking station/converter or can it be done through USB? ive never had to do it with such old hardware before.
Works every time for me, and the price is positively outstanding at $0.00:

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Paragon Hard Disk Manager will clone one drive to another. I doubt the drives being SATA/IDE matter.

I have used it a few times, works great for cloning. Although you have to pay for it.

I'm sure theres some free software out there that will do it as well. Just google it

EDIT: Nevermind, I see jsc1973 already has you covered.
tongue.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: TurboMach1

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only problem i see for that is i dont think this old PC has any SATA ports and i highly doubt ill find any ivy boards with IDE.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sata to IDE adapters are pretty cheap bro. Easy fix.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
wouldnt a better way to do this is to clone the XP machine into a VM and run it from there? you dont get hardware driver issue that way and as a VM its easily transportable

·
It's a me
2,882 Posts
You don't need IDE. Use SATA drive with the new setup and set BIOS to legacy/IDE mode (not AHCI). If you're talking about the clone... Just use Acronis or Macrium. Backup the system to an image file on a USB hard drive and then restore it on the new.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wasnt planning to keep an IDE drive. i was just trying to figure out how to transfer it to a SATA drive. i dont want to risk loosing the information on the currect HDD because its got important customer info on it. i can assemble a computer no issues, software side im not so good with.

·
It's a me
2,882 Posts
Quote:

i wasnt planning to keep an IDE drive. i was just trying to figure out how to transfer it to a SATA drive. i dont want to risk loosing the information on the currect HDD because its got important customer info on it. i can assemble a computer no issues, software side im not so good with.
Does the original system have sata ports? If so just use the old system to clone to the new drive. If not you have two options maybe three. Option 1, backup the original drive "as an image" then you can restore the image on the destination machine. You can do this with Acronis/Macrium/Ghost, etc. Option 2, buy an IDE card for $5 on ebay to clone directly on the new motherboard. Option 3, possibly find a motherboard that still has an IDE port. They are still out there but hard to find.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Quote:

what im wondering is will XP have issues with new hardware (drivers)? i think i have a G1610 ivy chip in the closet i could use and a few other parts but i would need a board if anyone has any suggestions.
For compatibility with hardware, Windows XP is still pretty well supported.
Its definitely worth checking things out before buying, though the same goes for any OS.

You will be missing out on some new things by sticking with XP, but to just have a system up and running and continuing to use stuff you're already using you shouldn't really have a problem. Here are some things you should be aware of though. If you have any questions, ask me and I can better explain each.

-USB 3.0 is unsupported on Windows XP You will only be limited in speed, as it is backwards compatible with 2.0 performance.
-AHCI and Hardware RAID are both unsupported by default but with a driver, they're supported.
-GPT is unavailable with Windows XP. You will have to format your hard drives in the MBR format and be limited to ~2TB per drive.
-Trim is unsupported, but SSD manufacturers often have software compatible with XP that does the same thing manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjr1105 View Post

Don't clone to an SSD, No AHCI or TRIM in XP. Just clone to a newer basic 500GB hard drive and make sure AHCI is NOT enabled. Use legacy or IDE mode. New hardware should be no problem, just use Intel if you were previously using an intel system and vice versa. If you have issues booting with the new hardware, XP had an awesome repair mode that will likely fix it, you just need a legit XP disc.

BTW, there is a registry hack to allow XP to still receive critical security updates. Just google it.
While an SSD without TRIM or AHCI will still give you performance gains, make sure to disable AHCI if you're cloning to a new motherboard unless it is of the same series chipset. You'll be unable to boot with AHCI on and lacking the drivers. Turning BIOS to Legacy mode solves this though.

·
It's a me
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow11377 View Post

For compatibility with hardware, Windows XP is still pretty well supported.
Its definitely worth checking things out before buying, though the same goes for any OS.

You will be missing out on some new things by sticking with XP, but to just have a system up and running and continuing to use stuff you're already using you shouldn't really have a problem. Here are some things you should be aware of though. If you have any questions, ask me and I can better explain each.

-USB 3.0 is unsupported on Windows XP You will only be limited in speed, as it is backwards compatible with 2.0 performance.
-AHCI and Hardware RAID are both unsupported by default but with a driver, they're supported.
-GPT is unavailable with Windows XP. You will have to format your hard drives in the MBR format and be limited to ~2TB per drive.
-Trim is unsupported, but SSD manufacturers often have software compatible with XP that does the same thing manually.
While an SSD without TRIM or AHCI will still give you performance gains, make sure to disable AHCI if you're cloning to a new motherboard unless it is of the same series chipset. You'll be unable to boot with AHCI on and lacking the drivers. Turning BIOS to Legacy mode solves this though.
XP won't support AHCI regardless. You need to run IDE or legacy SATA mode.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjr1105 View Post

XP won't support AHCI regardless. You need to run IDE or legacy SATA mode.
I'm running Windows XP right now on AHCI mode and have a perfectly functioning hardware RAID0 and a hotswap bay that I use every now and then. It isn't natively supported because the driver isn't on the original XP disc, but it does work fine once you get it.

You can either install Windows XP under IDE/Legacy mode using the original disc, then install the driver and apply a registry setting to support it then reboot and change the SATA mode, or or you can install the OS under AHCI mode from the start with the driver during installation using a Floppy disk, usb drive, or customized iso.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just to throw another idea into the mix - if it's just for a basic program, is it possible it would run in a virtual machine? Specifically I'm thinking of Windows 7's XP mode. I've used that to get a scanner working that only worked in XP, and there are no windows 7 drivers/software for. It means you can use a more up to date OS, yet still run your program on XP under a VM.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the people using the program have never even heard the term VM lol. it isnt connected to the internet and doesnt get used for anything besides that one program, so there is no real reason to not use XP as is.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
I would have no issue recommending a SSD for an XP system- provided there was basic SATA support. TRIM isn't an issue because all (nearly all?) modern SSD's will do periodic garbage collection to prevent slowdowns. A SSD even on SATA 1.0 is still much faster than any mechanical drive.

Basically just make sure the motherboard you choose has XP drivers.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just got done putting it together sans the OS swap because i dont have the other one here to do it. i ended up picking up a gigabyte GA-H61 board and tossing a G1610 i had in the closet on it. grabbed a WD blue 500GB but wish i knew an SSD would have worked i would have grabbed a 60gb for the same price. ill attempt the OS swap tomorrow, bought a startech IDE/SATA docking station to do the clone with hopefully it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts