Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a system you can see it below. I need some help deciding on something.

I have a friend that is offering to buy the cpu the mobo and possibly the ram.

for what I paid for it (since its overclocked now). if I did that I could either Upgrade to a Core i7 950, ASUS P6X58D-E and 6Gb of Corsair ram.

Or.... I can go with the I7 2600k, and probably an asus mobo and keep the current ram that I am running.

Taking everything into consideration, mainly the cfx I am running, would I just be better to upgrade to i7 950 with an actual motherboard that will run 16x/16x pciE ? all the 1156 / 1155 that I have see so far only run 16x/8x.

Would there be much of a performance gain do you know, when going from 8x/8x to 16x/16x ?

cant wait for the feedback
smile.gif

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm so a 2% loss is very acceptable, on average thats what it was.

so I need to weight the amount of performance increase that comes with the i7 2600k over the i7 950. I see the 2600k is faster in all cases that the i7 965 ee, and the i7 965 ee is faster than the 950.

soooo it just makes sense to go with the 2600k, and keep my current ram.

does this choice make sense to anyone else ?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I came across that article earlier, but some of its comments had me thinking without Crossfire/SLI the tests aren't sound. I posted on the TPU forums and W1zzard mentioned he might followup on P67 boards. I'm assuming with/SLI & Crossfire.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=137861

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I can be a guinea pig....

I am going with the 2600k. Will have it on sunday. asus sabertooth
smile.gif

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M0N5T3R;11919996
asus sabertooth
smile.gif
Nice choice, I'm stuck deciding between Sabertooth, Deluxe, Maximus or UD7. I actually like the shroud on the Sabertooth, think it would look sick with black or white water tubing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts