Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no problems with my 3200+ @ 3.11ghz. I recently upgraded (or so I thought) to an Opty 146. I swapped out the CPU's and now the Opty wont post on even a 2.4ghz overclock. Nothing else in the system has changed. Am I just forgetting to do something when changing out CPUs?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Since opterons are made for server boards. They are not usually made to work with normal mobos, but are very compatible, enough to be almost perfect. To succeed this you definetly need a BIOS update. That should do it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

Since opterons are made for server boards. They are not usually made to work with normal mobos, but are very compatible, enough to be almost perfect. To succeed this you definetly need a BIOS update. That should do it.

BIOS update to what? I am currently running the most recent version. Should I try rolling back the BIOS?

·
Registered
455 Posts
just flash or update the bios, let your motherboard configure itself to a "server" enhanced cpu. im really not sure if it works, but everywhere ive read it says before you do any overclocking on an opteron, you need to reupdate your bios to attain its "opteron" overclockage.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

just flash or update the bios, let your motherboard configure itself to a "server" enhanced cpu. im really not sure if it works, but everywhere ive read it says before you do any overclocking on an opteron, you need to reupdate your bios to attain its "opteron" overclockage.

So just reflash to the same version that I have and it should get the "server" enhanced CPU you talk about? If that works, major reps coming your way.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolutionsentra

Yes, it's on Phase. If it was the cold bug it wouldn't post with stock settings correct? Which it does without any hitches.

Not always (from what I have heard), sometimes phase will just limit the OC because the CPU is running too cold. You rembered to grease the socket with dielectric grease, right? And every thing is properly insulated too, correct?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

Not always (from what I have heard), sometimes phase will just limit the OC because the CPU is running too cold. You rembered to grease the socket with dielectric grease, right? And every thing is properly insulated too, correct?

Yes sir. dielectric grease all around the socket and on the pins. Everything is very well insulated, never had a problem with condensation.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Yes sir. dielectric grease all around the socket and on the pins. Everything is very well insulated, never had a problem with condensation.

Do you have an air cooler sitting around? The stock cooler maybe? Try OCing the CPU with the stock cooler, 939 Opterons seem to OC well with the AMD box cooler.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

Do you have an air cooler sitting around? The stock cooler maybe? Try OCing the CPU with the stock cooler, 939 Opterons seem to OC well with the AMD box cooler.

have a stock heatsink, a zalman something or other and a BT. I would try air but it takes so long to swap out phase for air (1hr. +)

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
I have recently put my 144 under a test with a TEC. The load temps have gone down about 20c below ambient which still brings me to about 15-20c load and I dont seem to be able to get it to clock as well. It seems to like running at around 50c. I will be doing more testing on this as to where or what the problem could be. 2600 seems to struggle with the TEC but 2900 on water is not a problem. weird for sure.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuchan

I have recently put my 144 under a test with a TEC. The load temps have gone down about 20c below ambient which still brings me to about 15-20c load and I dont seem to be able to get it to clock as well. It seems to like running at around 50c. I will be doing more testing on this as to where or what the problem could be. 2600 seems to struggle with the TEC but 2900 on water is not a problem. weird for sure.....

Maybe it just doesn't like the cold. I'll probably go back to my 3200+ in this rig and either sell the 146 (cab2e 0604) or build a 2nd rig with all the spare parts I have lying around.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
It is probably the Cold Bug as most if not all CAB2E memory controllers do not like the sub-zero temps

Quote:

Maybe it just doesn't like the cold. I'll probably go back to my 3200+ in this rig and either sell the 146 (cab2e 0604) or build a 2nd rig with all the spare parts I have lying around.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Ok a few things.

You dont need to do any bios flashing, the opteron is perfectly compatible. The 939 opterons are NOT server cpus so dont even think of that. The 940 opterons are server cpus. You dont need dielectric grease either, when using a prometia phase change because the sealstring fully seals the socket off. I'd personally use it still, but just sharing info with you. As ncsa said, it sounds like a cold bug. Cold bugs usually effect the OC and not the operation of the chip at stock.

Return the 146 and get a 3700+ San Diego. You should hit 3.2 or so with one on phase.

• Rep+
Reactions: Tobuk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigval

Ok a few things.

You dont need to do any bios flashing, the opteron is perfectly compatible. The 939 opterons are NOT server cpus so dont even think of that. The 940 opterons are server cpus. You dont need dielectric grease either, when using a prometia phase change because the sealstring fully seals the socket off. I'd personally use it still, but just sharing info with you. As ncsa said, it sounds like a cold bug. Cold bugs usually effect the OC and not the operation of the chip at stock.

Return the 146 and get a 3700+ San Diego. You should hit 3.2 or so with one on phase.

what this guy said. :withstupi

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:

I had no problems with my 3200+ @ 3.11ghz. I recently upgraded (or so I thought) to an Opty 146. I swapped out the CPU's and now the Opty wont post on even a 2.4ghz overclock. Nothing else in the system has changed. Am I just forgetting to do something when changing out CPUs?

my friend asus got new bios for optys go update and come bak and let me know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts