Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed Metro Redux earlier today, and have begun LL redux, and I'm noticing some pretty significant downgrades in the image quality between the original titles and the re-releases, specifically in LL. The tessellation appears visibly worse than that of the original LL, and the image quality in general generally appears blurrier. Has anyone else encountered this, or is it just my imagination? I'd upload screenshots from the original LL to prove this discrepancy, but I don't have it installed anymore.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlybacon View Post

I completed Metro Redux earlier today, and have begun LL redux, and I'm noticing some pretty significant downgrades in the image quality between the original titles and the re-releases, specifically in LL. The tessellation appears visibly worse than that of the original LL, and the image quality in general generally appears blurrier. Has anyone else encountered this, or is it just my imagination? I'd upload screenshots from the original LL to prove this discrepancy, but I don't have it installed anymore.
LL was already in the latest engine. I dont think Redox did anything for it. 2033 should have looked better since that was ported to LL updated engine. In a way it can be a downgrade because the game was made for Xbox and PS4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
iirc LL-Redux had some bugs at launch which did make it worse than the original LL in terms of graphics (lighting and tessellation were broken), but I believe they fixed that.

If it seems blurry, make sure FXAA is off, and SMAA is set to at least 1x (0.5 halves the resolution). Not sure on the tessellation though.
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlybacon View Post

I completed Metro Redux earlier today, and have begun LL redux, and I'm noticing some pretty significant downgrades in the image quality between the original titles and the re-releases, specifically in LL. The tessellation appears visibly worse than that of the original LL, and the image quality in general generally appears blurrier. Has anyone else encountered this, or is it just my imagination? I'd upload screenshots from the original LL to prove this discrepancy, but I don't have it installed anymore.
I never noticed LL Redux being more blurry, but LL, LL Redux, and 2033 Redux all have post-process AA running in the background and this can only be disabled by editing a config file which is somewhere in Appdata. The original Metro 2033 had no post-process AA so looked less blurry, but it also looked much more aliased. Metro Redux and the original Last Light have surprisingly effective post AA in my opinion, it really masks aliasing well.

You are absolutely right about tessellation. Me and you are some of the only people who noticed. LL Redux only has visible tessellation on small objects like valves and what not, but all the major tessellation from the original is gone.

Metro 2033 Redux overall is vastly superior to the original though. You can disable post-process AA if it bothers you, and you'll be left with more aliasing but less blur. Graphics quality is overall a drastic improvement over the original which looks dated by today's standards (play it now if you don't believe me), and Redux has all of the gameplay improvements from LL as well as a bunch of new hidden areas which are amazingly detailed (like Last Light). I wish I hadn't played the original so many times, otherwise 2033 Redux would be even more amazing for me to play. I do hate the new child voice acting though, it's the worst thing I ever heard LOL. Also I liked the original's cinematic cutscenes more than Redux's first person cutscenes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

iirc LL-Redux had some bugs at launch which did make it worse than the original LL in terms of graphics (lighting and tessellation were broken), but I believe they fixed that.

If it seems blurry, make sure FXAA is off, and SMAA is set to at least 1x (0.5 halves the resolution). Not sure on the tessellation though.
You're one of the only people whose word I trust about graphics. Any chance you can confirm that they fixed LL Redux's graphics? Almost all of the tessellation (except on minor objects) was gone at launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

You're one of the only people whose word I trust about graphics. Any chance you can confirm that they fixed LL Redux's graphics? Almost all of the tessellation (except on minor objects) was gone at launch.
I've only based that on what other people have said, and from the LL-redux patch notes. I don't have 2033/LL redux (yet), but the easy solution would be to launch LL Redux through Renderdoc, and get the info first hand through that.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top