Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need a basic OS, doesn't need to have all the the flashy stuff.

Basically, just a shell and the ability to connect to a network and access the internet. I figured, I'd just end up getting a stripped down linux distro, but which one would be best?

Thanks.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
I dont know which distro you want, per say, but what you should look for is a commant-promped only, server stile distro (like DOS, but MUCH better). My boss uses one for his Linux mail server.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Debian, I think thats the one the hardcore linux nuts use although it's a challenge for most cause it's so complex. You have to compile the kernal yourself and tune it for your hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
My dad's got SUsE running on his old PII400 laptop with 192MB RAM. It loads faster than his windows XP partition does. Looks good, and has a lot of built-in features and programs. Comes with some addicting games, too. My dad tried Ubuntu, but he hated it. Didn't support about half of the hardware in his lappy and the screen was all messed up. My personal favorite has always been Red Hat 9.0, but that's getting very old now and I haven't seen too many places with it avaiable for download. Fedora and Mandrake are also supposed to be good. I tried to install Mandrake, but I couldn't get it properly partition my HDD. Seeing as you have an IDE drive, it'll probably work. If you want something that's dirt simple to install, try ARK Linux. It's one CD, and you just push two little buttons to install it. Then you sit around for an hour playing Tetrix (not Tetris). The interface is nice, but it does have issues with some graphics cards.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
People...there is no difference between linux and windows, because in the end theyre both gonna use the same amount of resources...its all a myth, linux isnt faster than windows, windows doesnt suck, linux doesnt suck, the only difference between the two is one is best used for a server!

Dont try and tell me otherwise because ive used both and the only damn difference is one is more command line based, if you want true fewer resource go use a unix box!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts