1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
price range: $215 to $350ish

Willing to do used maybe

Good for OC and maybe future wc

Or should i wait for the ati 7xxx series of cards coming out soon? Not a very patient person :/ so need some how to have a sound mind about this decision.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Did your thread probably fail because you lack any sort of detail in your post? You could just copy and paste if you put in in another, but both will probably get locked since you're apparently asking the same thing.

I'll assume you're talking about a graphics card here because you mention the AMD 7xxx series. Here are some simple questions you can answer to get people to respond and not think you want us to be mind readers:

1)What are you using it for?
2)At what resolution?
3)Do you have plans for CF/SLI?
4)What games do you usually play?
5)What settings are you comfortable turning down?
6)Do you have a brand preference?
7)Are you picky about warranty?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1)What are you using it for? First person shooters
2)At what resolution?
1920X1080(new screen can't remember exact resolution but it is 1080p)
3)Do you have plans for CF/SLI?
I want to do that some time down the future but i have intel board and not a nvidia bored.
4)What games do you usually play?(bf3, batman, hitman, for example)
5)What settings are you comfortable turning down? i like to say i like the eye candy with good fps :/
6)Do you have a brand preference? kinda wanna go back to nvidia but wouldn't mind staying with ati if i get more performance for around the same amount.
7)Are you picky about warranty? i like evga because of there OC warrant they have.... but something oc friendly ??

thank you this is what I'm looking for. i need to do this so i can get a list i need to ask in order to get the answer i want.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
I say go for a 6950 and overclock the crap out of it.
biggrin.gif
6950 is the best way to go at the moment. ^_^

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya my friends have the 6950 with the bios flash to 6970 and it the rev. 1 or something and new ones can't do it now more. i would love to get the 6950 cf and have both bios flashed to 6970 but i would want over 1gb for screen resolution.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
New cards can do it too? o_O They just have to be the reference card. Though according to what everyone else tells me, just find a Sapphire Toxic 6950 because it has the 6970 bios on it.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere;15357226
Sapphire Toxic 6950
IMO i would get this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but will it have the same number of share/pipelines(cant remember which one) as the 6970? also i heard of unlocking shaders too hmm

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O, another food for thought lets say the 7 seriers comes out and the toxic card goes down to lets ay amazing 200. would me putting this in cf be a good thing to maybe almost max out bf3? i know im talking about a game we all played in beta form but just trying to paint a picture on how this shoot out going to come down to.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman21988;15357768
O, another food for thought lets say the 7 seriers comes out and the toxic card goes down to lets ay amazing 200. would me putting this in cf be a good thing to maybe almost max out bf3? i know im talking about a game we all played in beta form but just trying to paint a picture on how this shoot out going to come down to.
You should do really well with a single Toxic 6950 on BF3. Maybe AA turned down but you should be able to max most settings. Its really the best price/performance at $280 right now.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The Sapphire HD-6950 TOXIC edition is the ONLY way to go ...

under $300 ($270 w/ MIR expires 10/31/2001 NewEgg put the REBATE BACK !!!! WooHooo !
biggrin.gif
), OC's like a mother and is already Factory OC'd out of the box, EK makes FULL Cover WaterBlocks and a backing plate for it, can UnLock to HD-6970 (66% chance or better at least that it will) ...

It meets EVERY requirement you asked for in spades ! you'd be foolish not to consider this card IMO.

IF you don't want to risk that you'd be in that 33% of people that get LOCKED Toxic cards, then you could also buy the Sapphire HD-6970, it's still within your budget at $320.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm, la king you drive hard point threw.... hmm so what if i don't get the unlock... do you think i could send back to newegg but just switch out? also why is there only a 66% chance... why is the company doing that?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman21988;15358583
hmm, la king you drive hard point threw.... hmm so what if i don't get the unlock... do you think i could send back to newegg but just switch out? also why is there only a 66% chance... why is the company doing that?
because obviously the company doesn't want you to flash. they lose money that way really.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman21988
View Post

If it was guaranteed they'd charge you the 6970 price.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3d using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman21988
View Post

You couldn't RMA it back to NewEgg JUST because it doesn't UNLOCK, it's not gauranteed to do so, and thus you'd still have gotten a working card and what you paid for. You'd have to LIE and tell them the cad was defective for some reason or another ... and of course we know no one would LIE and do such a thing
right ?

As for the 66% rate of unlock, I'd say between 66.6% and 75% almost now, as it seems like at least 2/3rds to maybe as many as 3/4ths of the reviews and response's I've read through over the last 3 months regarding the Toxic seem to report successful UNLOCKS to HD-6970 levels and one guy who for some reason that couldn't UnLock it via the simple DUAL BIOS Switch, turned around and FLASHED his card with the 6970 BIOS and got it working that way, so who knows maybe even higher ? or even a sure fire result if his claim is true, still looking into that one.

But like I said, if you want 100% guarantee that you'll get a HD-6970 spend the extra $50 and get the Sapphire HD-6970, it's the TOXIC with the UNLOCK already done for you IF YOU WILL
LOL.

And either of these cards use the same EK WaterCooling block/plate I mentioned above.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
O, so even if you didnt get the 6970 unlock you can still flash it supposely?? if so that could be the nail on the head.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
My question is: so what if the Toxic 6950 doesn't unlock? Comparing straight 6950's to 6970's, the difference is right around the 10-15% range in average fps anyway, depending on the game. A 6950 is a heck of an upgrade already, let alone one that comes pre-overclocked, and even has some headroom for more. Unlocking would just be the cherry on top of your dessert, not the actual meat and potatoes.

For around $270 after rebate, that's an amazing deal to beat for close to (if not, better than) GTX 580 level, which significantly more than what you are looking to spend. If you want the guaranteed unlock for meager performance gains, you would need to spend the extra money on the 6970. In my opinion, a $320 Toxic 6970, that dances back and forth with a GTX 580 at stock factory clocks, is still a great deal.

You really can't go wrong with these Sapphires.
These cards are actually making me consider switching my 580's out for them, thanks to having good waterblock support.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts