Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to edit anything really useful in my bios.. Has anyone else had this problem with the Dell XPS 420?

Currently my CPU speed is at 3.00Ghz

The motherboard model is 0tp406 I just updated to the A07 Bios.

I've read somewhere the Dell locked the ability to edit? I don't know how true this is any feedback on this would be great though.

Also if it is true, is there a way around it?

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
with a lower clocked processor there are some ways [like a BSEL mod] to increase speed without a supporting BIOS...this requires more voltage though..and typically means a 2nd BSEL mod...you may get lucky and be stable without the additional voltage though [just unlikely].

just Google 'BSEL mod'... you'll find what your looking for...You may want to try the 1066->1333 mod... which would increase your CPU to ~3.6ghz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
with a lower clocked processor there are some ways [like a BSEL mod] to increase speed without a supporting BIOS...this requires more voltage though..and typically means a 2nd BSEL mod...you may get lucky and be stable without the additional voltage though [just unlikely].

just Google 'BSEL mod'... you'll find what your looking for...You may want to try the 1066->1333 mod... which would increase your CPU to ~3.6ghz.
Do you think I will need to VID mod as well? if so to which. Current vid is at 1.288V

Also does Windows 7 affect anything? I have 64 bit version

Also how do you know that the 1066->1333 is the right one for my CPU i`m just wondering on this.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
1.- VID mod may be necessary... for sure. Any 65nm dual-core I have with 4MB's of cache needs at least 1.34v to hold 3.6ghz stable.

2. OS is of no concern..

3. your cpu has a 266mhz strap..or 1066mhz default FSB..the next highest boot strap for Intel is 333mhz...or 1333FSB... this is the BSEL mod you will be able to perform on your CPU...

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Your cpu fsb is already 1333, you would have to do a 1600mhz FSB BESEL mod. Even if it's not officially supported, it should still work. But if you will need 800mhz ram to be able to keep up with a 1600FSB (your ram needs to be atleast half the speed of your Quad Pumped FSB).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts