Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to overclock my cpu to 3 from 2.4. I have watched alot of videos and kind of understand some aspects.

I know how to change it to 9 and then to 333, but i get confused about playing with the ram, changing settings to disabled like in the video in his advanced tab in bios and changing the power to the cpu. His motherboard in the youtube video has similar but different bios settings.

Im running 6gb of corsair 800 ram
850 watt psu
q6600 cpu
asus P5Q pro motherboard

If anyone could help me, id be really happy to get my cpu overclocked at getting my computer faster.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Yeah just increasing the FSB a bit and then giving the NB and Vcore a tiny bump for stability should give you 3ghz with no troubles. You could also give the ram a small voltage increase if its not stalbe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks=
so if i change it to 333 and 9
do i need to change the cpu voltage and do i need to disable those settings in his advanced tab, y options are pretty similar but there area few different settings. Which is confusing me a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would i notice a increase going to 3 from 2.4, i enjoy multiplayer gaming and i recently installed 2x4870 which was a hell of a time crossfiring and was looking to increase my fps even more by overclocking. with the increase to the vcore and nb what would you suggest me to put in, 1.4?

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Increase to 333x9, what is the stock voltage? if It's 1.3V set the CPU Vcore to 1.3 Manually, should do it, maybe increase NB 1 notch, or 2, and CPU Fsb/Vtt 1 notch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davieale View Post
would i notice a increase going to 3 from 2.4, i enjoy multiplayer gaming and i recently installed 2x4870 which was a hell of a time crossfiring and was looking to increase my fps even more by overclocking. with the increase to the vcore and nb what would you suggest me to put in, 1.4?
For gaming you might not notice much difference, but having the Q66 clocked higher will help it feed the dual cards information faster

·
Registered
230 Posts
You need to step back and have a really good read up on some guides.

I tend to start at the stock voltage then bump up the fsb bit by bit until it becomes unstable, then add a little voltage and again bump the fsb up until it becomes unstabe. This should get you the lowest possible voltage for your overclock.

Watch the ram speed and keep it just under stock speeds on stock voltage while you're oc'ing, that should discount it being a problem.

Make sure the PCI speed is fixed at 100mhz

Keep an eye on the temps, Q6600's can get very hot very quickly in my experiance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and one last question why does he turn those settings to disabled is there any point in the advanced tab to do that?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's the relationship between the fsb speed and the memory speed.

i.e my FSB is 471, my ram speed at 1:1 is 942mhz (twice the fsb figure as speed is doubled) - within the specs of my ram. You need to make sure that you keep under yours.

Those advance settings are turned off for stablity, once you have a stable oc you can have a play with some of them, but read up on them first!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts