Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this overclocking thing. how can i overclock my computer; i know the following:
i have a p4 1.8Ghz intel cpu (not celeron but i don't know if it's northwood)
I have a P4S533 Asus motherboard.

is it safe because i need my computer and i don't have the money to buy another one if something happens to it. I saw that in my bios i can chose 1.8Ghz or 2.4Ghz those are my only options, it's on 1.8 but i didn't change it because i don't want to overheat or burn anything (and i don't think it's as easy as a push of a button...is it??)
I could use some step by step help becaue i know nothing.

Thank you very much for your time.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ravislb

Hi,

I am new to this overclocking thing. how can i overclock my computer; i know the following:
i have a p4 1.8Ghz intel cpu (not celeron but i don't know if it's northwood)
I have a P4S533 Asus motherboard.

is it safe because i need my computer and i don't have the money to buy another one if something happens to it. I saw that in my bios i can chose 1.8Ghz or 2.4Ghz those are my only options, it's on 1.8 but i didn't change it because i don't want to overheat or burn anything (and i don't think it's as easy as a push of a button...is it??)
I could use some step by step help becaue i know nothing.

Thank you very much for your time.

well if you have an aftermarket heatsink fan then you could push your cpu a lil bit...
all i recomend is to always monitor your cpu temps...
you can use MBM5, google it....

then take it slow and see how far you can go.. for your chip i wouldnt recomend running it hotter than 120°f (48.8°c)

also look in your bios for agp/pci lock function...
if there isnt one dont push your agp past 74mhz and dont push your pci past 37mhz

this might all sound confusing but when you get into your bios things will clear up...

thats all i have to say for now ask me questions if you need to

1 - 2 of 2 Posts