Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i need help with the setting's in the bios.

i want to get my p4 2.4 to a 3.0 or maybe even a 3.2

my hardware is:
CPU: P4 2.4GHZ w/HT 800fsb
MotherBoard: Asus P4S800
RAM: 512MB pc3200

Have any idea what my setting in the bios should be?

Please repost your answers.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER)xL(

hi,

i need help with the setting's in the bios.

i want to get my p4 2.4 to a 3.0 or maybe even a 3.2

my hardware is:
CPU: P4 2.4GHZ w/HT 800fsb
MotherBoard: Asus P4S800
RAM: 512MB pc3200

Have any idea what my setting in the bios should be?

Please repost your answers.

Welcome to the forum RANGER)xL(. Have you read the Intel Overclocking Guide? Read it thoroughly, and it will give you a good start. A couple of people here have that same board and have been able to get some "ok" overclocks on it. On your board you will need to change the "Chipset Clock Mode" from Synchronous to Asynchronous, this is located under the "Advanced" menu then under "Chip configuration" options in your BIOS. This will prevent your PCI frequency from increasing along with the FSB. You need to do this before you overclock. If you have anymore questions after you have read the guide, let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
The P4S800 is a sis chipset, if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately, they're not normally too functional, in terms of overclockability. Check to see if you have a PCI/AGP lock (or possibly can change it between "synchrounous" and "asynchronous"). If not, you will probably be limited to ~15-20 mhz FSB overclock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm thinking it's the ram settings. (ex: 2-2-2-6)

here are my setting that are availible.

SDRAM CAS LATENCY: 2.5,2,3
SDRAM RAS TO CAS DELAY: 3,2,4
SDRAM PRECHARGE TIME: 3,2,4
SDRAM RAS ACTIVE TIME: 6,7,5,9

there is also sdram command lead-off time: i have that set to auto.

So have any idea at which my ram setting should be at?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

i'm thinking it's the ram settings. (ex: 2-2-2-6)

here are my setting that are availible.

SDRAM CAS LATENCY: 2.5,2,3
SDRAM RAS TO CAS DELAY: 3,2,4
SDRAM PRECHARGE TIME: 3,2,4
SDRAM RAS ACTIVE TIME: 6,7,5,9

there is also sdram command lead-off time: i have that set to auto.

So have any idea at which my ram setting should be at?

I'd start with loose timings while overclocking. Something like:

CAS Latency: 3
RAS To Cas: 4
Precharge: 4
RAS Active: 7 or 9

Once you have a successful overclock, then start reducing them a bit..

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I have the P4S800 and I've done a 1ghz overclock with it on synchrounous, if I put it on asynchounous will it give me a better overclock? If the pci-bus isn't locked, I should have been getting data curruption at about 115FSB, I'm just confused now...

·
Registered
78 Posts
if I am not mistaken from reading the oc thread. you have to increase the core voltage once the system becomes unstable from increasing the fsb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i have the C.P.R. thing. i already have the core voltage at 1.6v(Thats the highest) and it still hangs.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

my windows keeps on hanging or something when i oc it over 2.8

Are you still running the Ram at 400 mhz? if so, try setting it to 320Mhz or 333Mhz in the Bios. then see if you are able to increase the FSB any more. Setting your RAM to run at a slower speed will let you know if your memory is holding you back. This is what is meant by running a divider or ratio.

If you are able to OC the FSB further after you decrease the memory frequency, you know it was your RAM holding you back. If you are not able to incease the FSB afterwards, then more than likely 2.8Ghz is going to be the max on your mobo and/or chip.

Also have you set the "Clock Mode" to Asychronous? if not, go ahead and set it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also have this motherboard. I don't think that my asynchronous mode works. After I start getting high up in my overclocks, my graphics card starts crashing. Windows is stable. I've run burn in tests that test the stability of the ram and processor, and there isn't a problem there. but when I try to run a 3d application, the application crashes. I have a Radeon 9600SE. I also have the latest bios. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzerker

I also have this motherboard. I don't think that my asynchronous mode works. After I start getting high up in my overclocks, my graphics card starts crashing. Windows is stable. I've run burn in tests that test the stability of the ram and processor, and there isn't a problem there. but when I try to run a 3d application, the application crashes. I have a Radeon 9600SE. I also have the latest bios. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

holy mother that was a big bump... wonder what the record is for the biggest bump....

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks wowza that was very insightful, but do you know what's causing that to happen?

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is just a wild guess but your CPU could be consuming too much power and not enough is getting to your GFX, but that would probably affect both and the voltage on the rails would drop. So that's probably not the problem... If it wasn't locking the PCI/AGP bus though, I doubt Windows would be stable. Are you OCing your GFX as well? What hardware do you have and what are you running it at? Just fill in the Rig Showcase info in your Profile.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yea, the power thing probably isn't the issue. I have a 480w power supply, plus I haven't really upped the voltage yet. I have my 3.06 celeron running at 3.5, but when I start going up over that, the apps start crashing.

I have tried it without overclocking the gfx card and I still get the same results. it's stable for like a minute or two more, but the 3d app still crashes

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's weird. Especially since it runs stress tests fine. What tests did you run, btw?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
yea, sry i do go on some trails sometimes, anyways that is strange... It sounds like a PSU related issue... What are the Amps on your 12v rail rated at? Also what 3D app are you trying to run? Well my best guess for now would just be your motherboard. SIS chipsets arnt very strong OCers to start out with, and i think your Celly D is a prescott...which isnt a nice fit with an older motherboard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
for the stress test, I ran Passmark burn in test. I did both of the CPU tests at full load, and the RAM test at full load.

I don't know what the amps on the 12v rail are or how to find out.

3d apps, mostly video games and 3dMark. there's also a 3d test that uses your graphics card in Passmark and that'll crash as well

prior to the celeron I had an old P4(Northwood?) 2.4Ghz 400Mhz fsb. 3d apps would crash when I got up over 2.76Ghz, but again, the burn in test would be stable with the CPU and RAM.

I think I'm just going to go with a new mobo that has an Intel chipset, probably Abit. I've heard, pretty much everywhere, that SiS tend not to overclock well.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzerker

for the stress test, I ran Passmark burn in test. I did both of the CPU tests at full load, and the RAM test at full load.

I don't know what the amps on the 12v rail are or how to find out.

3d apps, mostly video games and 3dMark. there's also a 3d test that uses your graphics card in Passmark and that'll crash as well

prior to the celeron I had an old P4(Northwood?) 2.4Ghz 400Mhz fsb. 3d apps would crash when I got up over 2.76Ghz, but again, the burn in test would be stable with the CPU and RAM.

I think I'm just going to go with a new mobo that has an Intel chipset, probably Abit. I've heard, pretty much everywhere, that SiS tend not to overclock well.

Yea, look at the intel 865 Springdale line of chipsets, the best for Northwoods right now, and the best value for your buck. Abit makes the IS7 and the AI7 in this series, both which are very good boards, (i owned the AI7 for some time and it was very strong, taking my 3GHz northy to 3.75 stable) The IS7 is also very good too.

If you have a Prescott core, look for the 875 Canterwood chipset motherboards, they are good for prescott OCing. Some good ones from abit are the IC7(-G) and IC7-MAXIII which i have and is very good (taking my 2.4AE prescott to 3.6 so far) The chipset will also OC northwoods good, but not quite as good as a Springdale chipset would.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts