Overclock.net banner

Overclock Became unstalbe after 3 months

625 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Starmonger
I had my Q9550 seemingly stable with various benchmark tests at 3.8ghz on my p5q-e board. (prime 95 for over 12 hours blend and small fft's) It ran fine for 3 months. Then i donwgraded my graphics card from an ati 4870x2 to an ati 3450. And not long after that I got a BSOD, and then a couple more spaced out over a few weeks. So a possibility is that it's the new GPU. Or maybe could the huge difference in power requirements in going from the monster 4870x2 to the puny 3450 cause unforseen stability issues? Either way, i've just donwed the GHZ to 3.7 with the hope that it can make it stable, but i hate having to wait weeks for it to randomly BSOD again to see if it's worked.

It's now BSOD'd 3 times, so theres deffinatly some change, as i never got one in over 3 months. But another possiblity is that my OS is now crumbling, I have some basic issues with with my OS as i have transfered it from 3 different computers. Can a bad OS cause BSOD aswell?

my ram is 1066 and so it's currently running at about 840 mhz and it's also only 3 months old. My current rig is:

p5q-e
q9550 @3.7
OCZ platinum 1066 ram
ocz 700w psu
ati 3450
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
What voltage are you running?
I find my p5q-e very buggy just like that. I can run 4.0 for a month, then all of sudden is will bsod. Then rain of terror starts, it won't stop bsoding and sometimes won't boot up. I have to revert back 3.8 for a few day, then switch back to 4.0. I can get 4.2 8 hours prime 95 stable but it'll bsod at least 5 times a week.

Ive seen a few similar threads like this pertaining to similar experience with their p5q-e's too.

I really, really want a Gigabyte P45 UD3P
this is what it was before, but since then i lowered the fsb to 436:

P5Q-E OC- Q9550 @ 3.8
X 8.5
FSB: 450
FSB Strap: 333
DDR2: 901mhz
Dram Static Control : Disabled
Dram Read Training: Disabled
CPU Volt: 1.37500
CPU Volt: 1.52
FSB Term: 1.22
Dram Volt: 2.10
NB Volt: 1.20
LLC (load line calibration): ENABLED

CPU Spread spec: off
PCIE Spread Spec: off
Cpu marg enhan: Optim

Advanced optinos;
All disabled except: Cpu TM function enabled

the actual voltage is 1.368 under load, acording to cpuz
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starmonger
View Post

this is what it was before, but since then i lowered the fsb to 436:

P5Q-E OC- Q9550 @ 3.8
X 8.5
FSB: 450
FSB Strap: 333
DDR2: 901mhz
Dram Static Control : Disabled
Dram Read Training: Disabled
CPU Volt: 1.37500
CPU Volt: 1.52
FSB Term: 1.22
Dram Volt: 2.10
NB Volt: 1.20
LLC (load line calibration): ENABLED

CPU Spread spec: off
PCIE Spread Spec: off
Cpu marg enhan: Optim

Advanced optinos;
All disabled except: Cpu TM function enabled

the actual voltage is 1.368 under load, acording to cpuz

There are concerns about running LLC enabled, especially with the max vcore set. The voltage spike vdroop is designed to prevent can damage the CPU itself.

But before you consider that, I would uninstall CCC, run Driver Cleaner, then reinstall.
See less See more

What you reckon this means? i've had this about 3 times now, since getting the new gfx card. when this happens, the computer still works, if for example i load up a webpage, it will get rid of the blackness.

This has to be a dodgey GPU right? maybe the BSOD's are related to this..
See less See more
^^ id reinstall gpu drivers. at least before assuming its a "dodgey GPU".
sorry i forgot to mention this: at first when i got the card, i installed the latest drivers form ati's site. but then after seeing this glitch a couple of times, i uninstalled them, and installed the drivers from off of the cd which came with the card. Both times, I uninstalled and then ran driver cleaner in safe mode, then installed. So orginally i had uninstalled my 4870x2 drivers using the driver cleaner method, and have used that method each time.
Looks GPU related. How are your temps?

Like said above, might wanna check your RAM, I've seen bad ram make your video card do wierd things.
im sure that there is a quick fix for that.. nvidia pills
my gpu temps seem fine. i ran furmark and it didnt artifact, but i only ran it for 2 mins. ill try for more later. ill run a memtest aswell
The plot thickens... i have tried running memtest but it's having issues. First i ran it and the computer restarted after 10 seconds, and the same thing happend 3 times- at the same point in memtest. So i then took out 1 stick of ram, and tried it and got the same result at the same spot. So then i thought, maybe it's just that stick, and so i tried the other and the same thing happend. i then thought that it could be the slot on the motherboard, so tried the other slot, and the same thing- memtest crashed. sometimes it doesnt crash, other times it does, but it seems to crash if both sticks are in. But it doesnt seem like it's either stick at fault in particular, or it doesnt matter which slot on the motherboard they are in. Im not sure of the exact order i tried things in, in the above description, but either way, it seems like i have tried all combinations, and sometimes it will fail at the exact same point, and other times it doesnt, but with both sticks in it will allways fail- i think. Also i did turn off my OC, and reset the bios to defaults after the intial failier to rule out the OC.

Im very confused now.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starmonger
View Post

The plot thickens... i have tried running memtest but it's having issues. First i ran it and the computer restarted after 10 seconds, and the same thing happend 3 times- at the same point in memtest. So i then took out 1 stick of ram, and tried it and got the same result at the same spot. So then i thought, maybe it's just that stick, and so i tried the other and the same thing happend. i then thought that it could be the slot on the motherboard, so tried the other slot, and the same thing- memtest crashed. sometimes it doesnt crash, other times it does, but it seems to crash if both sticks are in. But it doesnt seem like it's either stick at fault in particular, or it doesnt matter which slot on the motherboard they are in. Im not sure of the exact order i tried things in, in the above description, but either way, it seems like i have tried all combinations, and sometimes it will fail at the exact same point, and other times it doesnt, but with both sticks in it will allways fail- i think. Also i did turn off my OC, and reset the bios to defaults after the intial failier to rule out the OC.

Im very confused now.

That sounds like a ram/motherboard compatibility issue, which becomes more apparent when enabling dual channel. I think it's time to contact your mobo maker. Rule out compatibility by talking to them and maybe RMA since this is happing @ stock.
See less See more
1. Why would you downgrade the GPU?
2. Either GPU, Drivers, or Corrupt OS.... I doubt it would be your CPU.
EDIT: i have now tried version 3.4 of memtest, which is also on the cd. and that seems to work with both sticks in so far, ill leave it running. Maybe the ram issue was a red herring, and it was just an issue with version 3.5 of memtest.

I downgraded my GPU cos i quit gaming.

Corrupted OS? that's definatly possible, my OS is pretty flakey as i have transfered it from 3 different machines, windows media player crashes sometimes. its not too bad though, but that could be possible.

Im going to install vista soon, I just need to transfer all my music making apps safely, that's why i ran this OS for so long as a dual boot OS alongside my gaming one.

So if it passes memtest 3.4 for say 8 hours.. should i rule out the ram? i could then try a new Bios version, returning the GPU, new OS, or it still could be the cpu OC.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starmonger View Post
EDIT: i have now tried version 3.4 of memtest, which is also on the cd. and that seems to work with both sticks in so far, ill leave it running. Maybe the ram issue was a red herring, and it was just an issue with version 3.5 of memtest.

I downgraded my GPU cos i quit gaming.

Corrupted OS? that's definatly possible, my OS is pretty flakey as i have transfered it from 3 different machines, windows media player crashes sometimes. its not too bad though, but that could be possible.

Im going to install vista soon, I just need to transfer all my music making apps safely, that's why i ran this OS for so long as a dual boot OS alongside my gaming one.

So if it passes memtest 3.4 for say 8 hours.. should i rule out the ram? i could then try a new Bios version, returning the GPU, new OS, or it still could be the cpu OC.

An OS that has had 3 different motherboard drivers installed on it. This sounds like an issue. Reformatting would prbly correct lots of issues.
See less See more
i agree, but things worked ok untill i got this new GPU, then i started getting ocasional BSOD, and these graphical glitches. So i dunno. Im gunna reformat soon anyway, but i think it's quite likely that there is another issue here, to do with a bad GPU or something.
Just RMA your GPU.
yeah, gunna RMA it then. Thanks for helping folks.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.