Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm just wondering if I can overclock a Core i5-2400. I'm pretty new to overclocking. And if I can overclock a 2400, how would I do it? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
You can overclock it through the base clock, but not by much and it probably will end up corrupting some of the data on your hard drives, so don't do it. Get a 2500k or 3570k to overclock.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
The non K series allows the multiplier to to be upped slightly and the base clock to be manipulated a couple Mhz.

I used to have a 2400 and I was able to get it to 3.7ghz.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedub View Post

The non K series allows the multiplier to to be upped slightly and the base clock to be manipulated a couple Mhz.
I used to have a 2400 and I was able to get it to 3.7ghz.
How exactly do I overclock it?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You can raise CPU multiplier by a bit, I think 4 speed bins on top of normal turbo but I'm not sure if that's with all cores active. You can also try raising BCLK by ~5mhz. More than that probably won't be stable since so much is tied to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelspark View Post

Go to BIOS and increase the BLCK to 105-110.
Keep in mind you need a P67 or Z68 motherboard.
I have a P67 mobo

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelspark View Post

Go to BIOS and increase the BLCK to 105-110.
Keep in mind you need a P67 or Z68 motherboard.
If you increase the base clock, it may corrupt your data and damage your motherboard, expansion cards and storage devices. I've been told that you should not overclock via the base clock within windows.

As far as I'm told, you probably won't get more than a base clock of 103 MHz and keep it stable.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
In the BIOS set the multiplier to maximum value of 36x and set the bclock to a relatively safe and conservative 103mhz. That will net you 3.7ghz at full tilt on all four cores and since its not that high of a boost its unlikely you will need to mess with voltage at all- my chip didnt need anything else.

Ran this setup in one of my secondary builds for months with no issues, corruption, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So from what I'm reading, my safest bet is to get a 2500k and just OC that?

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
If you already have the 2400, I would OC it and see if it performs to your needs. If you don't already own a CPU and are deciding between a 2500k and the 2400 and want full range of OC ability, pick up the 2500k.

From personal use, the 2400 @ 3.7ghz was pretty snappy and it saved money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clau View Post

So from what I'm reading, my safest bet is to get a 2500k and just OC that?
Yes. The 2400 can't be overclocked, not on all 4 cores anyway. Don't even think about touching the base clock in the BIOS.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

Yes. The 2400 can't be overclocked, not on all 4 cores anyway. Don't even think about touching the base clock in the BIOS.
Aside from the fact that I already stated that is not true, I was able to dig up one of my old screenshots from my 2400. This is with the multi set to 36 and the bclock @ stock. Like I mentioned, I later upped the bclock to 103 to get 3.7ghz on all four cores loaded 100%.

In the pic WCG/BOINC is running 4 WUs for 100% CPU Utilization:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Quote:

Aside from the fact that I already stated that is not true, I was able to dig up one of my old screenshots from my 2400. This is with the multi set to 36 and the bclock @ stock. Like I mentioned, I later upped the bclock to 103 to get 3.7ghz on all four cores loaded 100%.
In the pic WCG/BOINC is running 4 WUs for 100% CPU Utilization:
So you overclocked the turbo on it 300 mhz by risky means. Base (non turbo) speed cannot be overclocked without upping base clock which is risky.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

So you overclocked the turbo on it 300 mhz by risky means. Base (non turbo) speed cannot be overclocked without upping base clock which is risky.
After manually setting the multi to 36x you just disable speed step, etc just as if you were OCing on any other chip. There is no more turbo freq at that point and the core will run at one speed constantly. The core speed in that screen shot is locked at 3600mhz- the clock never drops or increases.

It might be a little difficult to understand if you've never worked with a non K series chip before. Maybe you read somewhere that exceeding 103 could cause problems but how many people have actually posted real issues @ 103? A 103mhz base clock is nowhere near approaching 'unsafe' and the computer never experienced any issues. It was tested hard with 24/7 100% WCG WUs and never spit out an invalid WU, BSOD, or other error.

I'm giving real deal first hand experience with the CPU, not conjecture, speculation, or what ifs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

After manually setting the multi to 36x you just disable speed step, etc just as if you were OCing on any other chip. There is no more turbo freq at that point and the core will run at one speed constantly. The core speed in that screen shot is locked at 3600mhz- the clock never drops or increases.
It might be a little difficult to understand if you've never worked with a non K series chip before. Maybe you read somewhere that exceeding 103 could cause problems but how many people have actually posted real issues @ 103? A 103mhz base clock is nowhere near approaching 'unsafe' and the computer never experienced any issues. It was tested hard with 24/7 100% WCG WUs and never spit out an invalid WU, BSOD, or other error.
I'm giving real deal first hand experience with the CPU, not conjecture, speculation, or what ifs.
Alright I think I'll set it to 103mhz. What did you use to cool your CPU?

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
It was cooled with a H60, but that was strictly for looks and brand matching (PC pictured below). You could easily get away with any $20-25 aftermarket cooler, or even the stock one if you don't mind temps in the mid to upper 50s low 60s with a moderate fan noise. The H60 was setup to have the lowest fan speed possible for silence over cooling.

• Rep+
Reactions: Clau

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

It was cooled with a H60, but that was strictly for looks and brand matching (PC pictured below). You could easily get away with any $20-25 aftermarket cooler, or even the stock one if you don't mind temps in the mid to upper 50s low 60s with a moderate fan noise. The H60 was setup to have the lowest fan speed possible for silence over cooling.
Alright well I'm using an H70 so I guess I should be good for now. Just placed an order for an NZXT Switch 810 full tower, so I'll probably upgrade to an H100/H100i in the future. Thanks for you help guys, Ill post an update as well as a screenshot soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

There is what I'm getting after setting base clock to 103 and disabled speed step. If there is anything you see that is wrong, please notify me ASAP. Thanks

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
Nothing out the ordinary to me, looks good. Can you load the CPU to 100% and tell me if the core speed drops to 3.7ghz?

Whenever I OC I disable C-States, Turbo, Speed Step and any other power saving feature, but if this still gets to 3.7ghz with 4 cores loaded there is no harm in leaving it exactly as is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts