Overclock.net banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedub View Post

Nothing out the ordinary to me, looks good. Can you load the CPU to 100% and tell me if the core speed drops to 3.7ghz?
Whenever I OC I disable C-States, Turbo, Speed Step and any other power saving feature, but if this still gets to 3.7ghz with 4 cores loaded there is no harm in leaving it exactly as is.
Sounds good, how do I load the CPU to 100%?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedub View Post

After manually setting the multi to 36x you just disable speed step, etc just as if you were OCing on any other chip. There is no more turbo freq at that point and the core will run at one speed constantly. The core speed in that screen shot is locked at 3600mhz- the clock never drops or increases.
It might be a little difficult to understand if you've never worked with a non K series chip before. Maybe you read somewhere that exceeding 103 could cause problems but how many people have actually posted real issues @ 103? A 103mhz base clock is nowhere near approaching 'unsafe' and the computer never experienced any issues. It was tested hard with 24/7 100% WCG WUs and never spit out an invalid WU, BSOD, or other error.
I'm giving real deal first hand experience with the CPU, not conjecture, speculation, or what ifs.
Thanks for assuming I'm merely speaking with no experience. I'm running an i5-2400 right now. Can you please tell me where in the BIOS can I change the multiplier? There is no option for it. The only option that is there is for changing the turbo multi and you can only have 100 mhz difference with all cores enabled. Board is Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3 I'm not even going to touch the base clock and I highly suggest you don't go recommending it to others just because you had no troubles. That leaves you responsible if they mess something up. Intel themselves said not to touch the base clock.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

Thanks for assuming I'm merely speaking with no experience. I'm running an i5-2400 right now. Can you please tell me where in the BIOS can I change the multiplier? There is no option for it. The only option that is there is for changing the turbo multi and you can only have 100 mhz difference with all cores enabled. Board is Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3 I'm not even going to touch the base clock and I highly suggest you don't go recommending it to others just because you had no troubles. That leaves you responsible if they mess something up. Intel themselves said not to touch the base clock.
Go into your UEFI and enter advanced mode. Click on the 'Advanced' tab and select 'CPU Configuration'. At this point press F12 and save a screen capture so we can all see the available options. I'll wait for the screenshot.

As far as the BCLK, ill say it again- how many people have posted actual problems with a BCLK of 103mhz? If its surely a horrible thing that will mess up your PC, surely we would see a handful of examples, no? How about just 3? OK, how about 1? Show me the real evidence that says its an issue. I liken the BCLK fear to the PCIe bus fears from years ago- everything was OK in moderation despite the same 'risk.'

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
CPU ratio is currently at max which is 28 as you can see. It cannot go higher. Turbo, however, can be overclocked by going into Ai Tweaker and adjusting the turbo ratio. It only goes up to 3.5 ghz (I stand corrected from when I said only 100mhz difference) with all cores enabled.

As far as not seeing any problems out there from people messing with base clock, well how many people have done it? I don't see many, if any, people overclocking with base clock.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
Maybe your board requires it be done through the Turbo multiplier versus the CPU Ratio- could be a difference in UEFI/BIOS, but either way you can get get the 2400 to 3.6ghz across all four cores.

Its odd that you said you have an i5 2400 but you can only get to 3.5ghz and your multiplier has a max value of 28. What i5-2400 has a multiplier of 28x? How about another screen shot scrolled up from the last one that shows that is really a i5 2400.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My mistake I have the 2300 not 2400. But still cpu ratio cannot go higher than 28, hence the term locked multiplier. The only way to overclock these locked chips is through either the turbo multi or base clock (not recommended).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:

After manually setting the multi to 36x you just disable speed step, etc just as if you were OCing on any other chip. There is no more turbo freq at that point and the core will run at one speed constantly. The core speed in that screen shot is locked at 3600mhz- the clock never drops or increases.

It might be a little difficult to understand if you've never worked with a non K series chip before. Maybe you read somewhere that exceeding 103 could cause problems but how many people have actually posted real issues @ 103? A 103mhz base clock is nowhere near approaching 'unsafe' and the computer never experienced any issues. It was tested hard with 24/7 100% WCG WUs and never spit out an invalid WU, BSOD, or other error.

I'm giving real deal first hand experience with the CPU, not conjecture, speculation, or what ifs.
Nearly 8 years later and I'm back with a master's in data science, typing up this comment on the same rig running the i5 2400, still OC'd according to your guidance. Crazy how time flies!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts