Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just attempted my first CPU overclock on my E6750 2.66GHZ with the
ASUS PN5E-SLI MOBO and think I damaged something along the way. I had been playing with the fsb and could get it to 1640mhz in bios with 960mhz memory "linked" and load windows fine if I put my vcore up to 1.6v... I tried every combination to get it going higher as I've heard others with much better success... 1640mhz on the fsb only equates to like 3.280ghz which seems low for the E6750. Anyways I had all but given up and decided i'd just drop it down to 3.2ghz and keep my vcore at defaults etc. Now I have a problem where I can not load windows XP. Windows will show its loading and get all the way to the default blue login window where it shows a small winxp logo again briefly(usually) but my PC now freezes there and just locks up. No error messages of any type... Worried I might have hurt something I put everything back to defaults and still no go even with 1333mhz fsb default and 800mhz default on the ram.

my specs -
CPU - E6750
HEATSINK - ZALMAN BIG COPPER ONE >>>
MOBO - ASUS PN5E-SLI 650I
PSU - 850W ANTEC SIGNATURE
GPU - 9800GTX+
RAM - 4GIG PC2-6400 PATRIOT 800MHZ 5-5-5-12

I kept notice of my temps and even when it was working...and at 1640fsb and ram oc'd to 960mhz with the vcore at 1.6v the cpu was only running at like 48C...my pc is fairly well air-cooled and I don't think I overheated anything...not sure what to do? I don't see how doing this would prevent winXP from loading past the login screen...esp after putting it back down to standard settings. APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS ONE, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it! I'm stuck here smashing my head into my keyboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone please help me out here? My seagate 1tb sata harddrive just does not finish a load anymore and I can not repair it with windows CD. I have no idea how this happened from overclocking... It shows windows loading up and then on the login screen just freezes up. I have a secondary slave IDE drive I can boot on just fine with winxp, just not when I try to boot from my main SERIAL ATA HD. I've disabled any sort of raid configuration in bios...nothing seems to work. It seems like its a windows xp pro issue but I can't get in to repair or reinstall winxp on that Harddrive, it just won't allow me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
it seems as if a failed oc or 2 has corrupted your installation

and what do you mean it wont allow you like the cd wont boot or the hdd isnt in the list or what

and it just might be your hdd all the new seagates have had notable reliability issues

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniTuckin
View Post

your saying with that zalman cooler and 1.6v you were at 48C? I think a program is lying to you my friend and the cpu just overheated and yes those seagate do have problems

it may have caused the lockups when overclocked or it could be instability either way it shouldnt continue after it was returned to stock

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyxix
View Post

Try removing ram and boot with 1 ram at a time? Or maybe try a reformat clean boot.

FYI, the Intel recommend 1.5Vcore max so 1.6 is a tad high.

1.6 is rather high mine hits 4ghz stable at 1.57 and 3.64 with 1.46 and it has an awful 1.325vid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am stupid...I finally figured it out. I think anyways...still waiting on the verdict. I have no idea how the hell it happened but this is what i've gathered and am in the process of doing now.

I did all the overclocking playin with in the course of like one night, I know the 1.6v is too high but it was literally set to that for a matter of minutes...even with that high volts I couldn't get windows to boot at all past like 3.280ghz. So I started bringing it back down to what it was running fine at...3.2ghz and it windows would load and it would get to the login screen and lock up. I dropped it down some more and still it continued...put everything back to defaults reset cmos, same issue. Tried to reinstall windows and it wouldn't let me reinstall a new copy of winxp on the sata drive i'd been using all along as my primary so I formatted my good ol' ide drive and it ran fine loaded windows etc. Downloaded all the p5ne-sli bios updates, tried it again still nogo if I tried to boot from my sata drive.

It finally dawned on me that it had made my ide drive my "primary slave" and my sata as my extended drive and windows was putting it ahead of my SATA drive even tho it was still formatted as the C:/drive and marked as ID 0.

So I took out my IDE drive that had been working and windows let me then reinstall windows xp onto my SATA drive. Before reinstalling windows I tried just to boot from the sata one last time before reinstalling windows on it and nogo...still froze.

My question now is...is this typical? Not that I had to pull out my IDE drive but that this happened in the first place just from doing some overclocks? Corrupted my winxp and threw off my master/slave HDD's I've been running the same way for a year?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last thing as well...i'm still interested in overclocking. What are the recommendations for a stable OC on a p5ne-sli board and an E6750....3.280ghz is pretty sad yea? I've had the processor running stock little over a year maybe its just lost its youth? I've also heard theres a problem with the ram on this board so a 1:1 ratio really hurts, might have to keep my pc6400 800mhz at stock? I was running em at 960mhz and it would boot...didn't do any tests with it though. I had tried several combinations of linked/unlinked as far as that goes, nothing seemed to work and then I ran into the bump in the road. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrubs187
View Post

I am stupid...I finally figured it out. I think anyways...still waiting on the verdict. I have no idea how the hell it happened but this is what i've gathered and am in the process of doing now.

I did all the overclocking playin with in the course of like one night, I know the 1.6v is too high but it was literally set to that for a matter of minutes...even with that high volts I couldn't get windows to boot at all past like 3.280ghz. So I started bringing it back down to what it was running fine at...3.2ghz and it windows would load and it would get to the login screen and lock up. I dropped it down some more and still it continued...put everything back to defaults reset cmos, same issue. Tried to reinstall windows and it wouldn't let me reinstall a new copy of winxp on the sata drive i'd been using all along as my primary so I formatted my good ol' ide drive and it ran fine loaded windows etc. Downloaded all the p5ne-sli bios updates, tried it again still nogo if I tried to boot from my sata drive.

It finally dawned on me that it had made my ide drive my "primary slave" and my sata as my extended drive and windows was putting it ahead of my SATA drive even tho it was still formatted as the C:/drive and marked as ID 0.

So I took out my IDE drive that had been working and windows let me then reinstall windows xp onto my SATA drive. Before reinstalling windows I tried just to boot from the sata one last time before reinstalling windows on it and nogo...still froze.

My question now is...is this typical? Not that I had to pull out my IDE drive but that this happened in the first place just from doing some overclocks? Corrupted my winxp and threw off my master/slave HDD's I've been running the same way for a year?

yes i have seen stranger things happen my buddys pc will randomly change boot order and my pc will randomly forget is overclock sometimes and boot at stock with no warning till i get into windows and my sidebar tells me my clocks, but the windows thing is rather common, whenever i decide i want to start oc'ing something i make sure everything is backed up and stored on a backup usb hdd thats unplugged during the process because i seem to have a niche for screwing up windows installations LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrubs187
View Post

One last thing as well...i'm still interested in overclocking. What are the recommendations for a stable OC on a p5ne-sli board and an E6750....3.280ghz is pretty sad yea? I've had the processor running stock little over a year maybe its just lost its youth? I've also heard theres a problem with the ram on this board so a 1:1 ratio really hurts, might have to keep my pc6400 800mhz at stock? I was running em at 960mhz and it would boot...didn't do any tests with it though. I had tried several combinations of linked/unlinked as far as that goes, nothing seemed to work and then I ran into the bump in the road. Any advice would be appreciated!

as far as the cpu goes it likes a cpu vtt around 1.4 and a higher cpu pll than stock but thats on an P35 as far as nvidia chipsets go they are a pain to oc from my experience

heres a great thread on your board and it claims you can get about 450fsb on avg which will get you 3.6 on that board

good luck
http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...0i-thread.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Elev8rshoes I really appreciate all the support, i've got one last noob question for ya. As far as the multiplier goes with the fsb etc...is there a preference or a method behind it? Or do you just wing it? I see a lot of people with the higher clock speeds have lowered there multipliers and increased the fsb. I don't see why this is any different then keeping the multiplier at 8, and not pushing the fsb as much for the same gain? But apparently sometimes you get more doing it one way then you do another?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.