Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what im doing so I halfway copied someone elses stuff. Ill fill in my cpu info tmrw but I got a 1055t with nh-d14 cpu cooler 8gigs of gskill eco ddr3 1600 cas7 and a crosshair iv mobo. I was able to throw my stuff to this, but not sure what to do from there or what tests to run/temps to watch.
cpu bus 286
dram frequency 1525
cpu/nb 2574
cpu offset + .05, 1.396 stock so im assuming just +.05 to that
cpu/nb offset +.1, 1.250 stock
dram voltage 1.455
my timings are just set at 9/9/9/24, I know if I try 7/8/7/24 my comp wont start lol.

According to speedfan my core is 20c, asus probe shows my cpu at 34c at idle. Im assuming I need to run like prime95 or is there something else I should run, and what temps and temp ranges should I look out for.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Very quickly, and to start you off right, go to this thread. Once their, read the first post as it will help you understand more.

Then, to keep going and get further help with the little things, fill in your specs in the control panel here on the forum so everyone knows what you're working with (without having to list it every time you need help).

Also, IBT is OK for some relatively quick testing, but P95 (Prime) is better for overall system stability.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ill look into those now.

I got it filled in. Just did a quick stability test with amd overdrive for 5mins, ss is right after the test was over. Speedfan and Core temp are showing my core temps and I guess asus probe is showing cpu temp, not sure what the diff is but ill google it lol.
LL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oo lol I was just making sure the temps didn't get anything to crazy, my thermal past job is horrendous >.< At what core and cpu temps should I get worried? I read the sensor could be up to 10 degrees off but is that core or cpu?

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Forget about core temps altogether. Only monitor your CPU temp. It should stay under 60c (62c is max by AMD) but myself and others prefer to stay under 55c.

The core temps can be off by 10c, the CPU temp is more reliable. It's not 100% accurate, but close enough where it won't matter for most people.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks alot man, was worried it was CPU temp that was 10 off lol. So ill run prime95 for a hour, if it passes ill up the clock and go another hour. Then when im where I wanna be ill run it for like 12hours or something.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Sounds like a plan! If you want a little bit shorter run, you can use IBT or LinX for some quick maximum passes (5-10) - which won't take an hour (give you some more time!). Once you pass or fail you can keep adjusting.

Just remember if you use IBT or LinX to use the 'All' or 'Maximum' to get all your RAM tested as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok ive ran prime95 for about a hour, my cpu temp is at 47c, hows that? 0 errors and 0 warnings! Half tempted to just throw it at 4ghz and see what happens, maybe ill be lucky?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what to do with my ram timings/voltage. I tried linx and it errored right away with 3.8ghz so I went back down to 3.5ghz and it shutdown after a min or two, then my mobo had the dram light on. After completely powering it down and turning it back on the comp started back up tho. I got my ram at 9/9/9/24 1333 1.4volts. They are rated at 7/8/7/24 1600 1.35v.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Have you set the timings manually @ 1.35v? I'm not familiar with the GSkill Eco's but I have seen threads about them being finicky.

I would try 1.5v on the RAM if 1.35 won't cut it, or 1.4. A lot of DDR3 is run at 1.65, mine runs at 1.8v.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea when I first got it with no overclock I left it at 1.4v because thats what my mobo puts it at and gave it 7/8/7/24 and it worked, didn't do any test tho. My comp just froze after 4:39 of linx so iunno...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had it at 1.225. I just put my ram to the factory settings and set my cpu clock back to 2.8ghz and did linx for 6mins w.o any prob so evidently it was a issue in my settings. I was gettin worried my ram might of been bad or something.

Now like 10mins into linx test my darn display went out lol, and the vga light on my mobo was on... what a pain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe the problem was that I have virtual memory disabled and I ran outta ram? I wanted to get 4ghz lol, but that probably wont happen without a ton of researching and working. Also read someone having problem gettin past 3.5 with 4sticks of ram so maybe thats a issue for me?

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
It shouldn't be too hampering, I bet you can get past 3.5 without too many problems. You may need to loosen the timings so you don't strain the IMC on your chip as much (with 8GB).

Do not by any means disable virtual memory (the page file). Since you have 8GB of RAM I recommend you set it to a static size, 768MB for both the minimum and maximum (to make it static). If you have a second HDD, place it on that disk, if you don't leave it on HDD that Windows is installed to (even if you partitioned your HDD). You will need a page file for some programs and things and completely removing it won't make your PC any faster - it will actually decrease performance.

Just be sure to read that first post in the link I provided earlier in this thread. It will help you overclock with ease, very simple guide to follow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What should I loosen the timings to? Imma try and lower my NB speed up some voltages and see what I can do.

lol okay I got virtual memory back, maybe that was my problems.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts