Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've OCed many time...finally I have a question, it may be simple but...actually a big one :

If you keep using your overclocked system ( @ good temp, pass many stability tests...) does it still reduce your CPU life time day by day ???

I just wanna have idea from anyone who are overclock their computer !!

thanks so much for replying

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you run increased voltage on a 24/7 basis it will deacrease the lifetime of your processor. Processors are made to last a long time.As long as you do not run an unhealthy voltage through it it will last you at least 5 years and in 5 you will probably have a newer processor anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is extreme overclocking ???

if I raise my vcore from 1.5 to 1.57 (full load), CPU run @ 2.4GHz (240x10) 166 divider, RAM run @ stock peed ---> what kind of OC is this ???

thanks for replying

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
1.5-1.57 is barely anything... the cpu will be way out dated before it dies from old age.... what he means by extreme overclocking is if you crank up vcore to say...1.85+ and be running over 3ghz 24/7, thats extreme, and still wouldnt kill your cpu for a while as long as temps are ok... so u have nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranphuloc

what is extreme overclocking ???

if I raise my vcore from 1.5 to 1.57 (full load), CPU run @ 2.4GHz (240x10) 166 divider, RAM run @ stock peed ---> what kind of OC is this ???

thanks for replying

I had a P4 2.4C SL6WF (Philippines) on an MSI 865PE Neo-2 Platinum mobo. I ran it at stock voltage @ FSB 250 with a 1:1 divider so I was at 3GHz. I ran it like this for 6 months.

I don't know if it was the processor or the mobo, but one of the two (or both) broke. The guys on the MSI forums thought that a 2.4C @ 3GHz was a pretty big overclock and that it could easily have broken the CPU or mobo.

Just so you know, I had excellent cooling on the CPU and in my case, including an extra 120mm fan blowing on the RAM/MOSFETS.

So I'm pretty much a stocker now and it's been my experience that OCing can break stuff.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've oc'd a couple systems and have never had a chip die on me. The life of the cpu is sooo long, that by the time it might die, you probably would have bought 3 more new chips by then..

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I wouldn't worry about decreasing the life of the chip. Especially with all of the new innovations coming out in the past couple of years, chips will become obsolete well before they croak. When the software world finally catches up, single core chips will become obsolete, and who knows, maybe in several years, dual core will be replaced by gazillion core chips. There's no fun in running a chip at stock!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts