Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'd recently completed my first overclock. I have an i7 5820k. I'd successfully, and stably, overclocked it to 4.1 GHz from the stock 3.3. Then I decided to increase my RAM from 16 to 32. The first boot was successful to the log in menu. Then, after logging in, CPU usage was stuck at 100% and my system was completely dragging. So I restarted. Restart resulted in Asus' Overclock Failure notice popping up. So, I went into BIOS and restored all defaults. Restarted one last time, and haven't had any problems since. My only guess is that the installation of the RAM messed with the voltages, but I had all my voltage selection pieces set to auto and I'm not entirely sure that's it. I figured it was time to hit the forums and look for some more experienced help. I am still using the stock clocks on both my CPU and RAM. My GPU overclock is stable and working perfectly. I switch between it and stock depending on what I'm doing.

Hardware:

Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1
CPU: Intel i7 5820K (currently set to base clock at 3.3 GHz)
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 (2x SLI) (base clock/memory/boost: 1683/1251/1823 MHz, overclocked: 1813/1409/1953 MHz)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 (currently set to stock which is a down-clock to 2133 MHz)

System is water cooled. One loop for CPU and one loop for the GPUs.

Hope I included all the information you need. If I missed anything, let me know. Like I said, this was my first attempt at overclocking. I stopped at at 4.1 on the CPU because I was hitting TJ Max at 100% load (103 C for my CPU). Though my usage temp actually holds between 36 and 48 C depending on whether I'm gaming or not.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts