Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to be getting a 2nd gtx480 so I want to overclock to like 4.0 so I do not bottleneck but should I wait until I get it for just OC now? I never oc'd before so I am kind of nervous. I am not even 100% sure how to yet lol but I want to...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would go ahead and start overclocking it now, that way you have time to find your stable settings and there are plenty of articles here that you can read to assist you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
im actually in the same boat as the OP, i'll be picking up a 2nd GTX 460 and would like to overclock too.

Do you have any links to particular guides you'd reccomend for first time OCers?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking around so if no one posts and I find one I will post it here.

Also, another question. I know this should be a lot easier but I need to change my ram speed because it wasn't right when I installed it but I do not know how to do that either.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can change the DRAM timings in your bios, mine are natively 1600mhz though they have to be entered that way manually into the bios.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: pistons50

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkDrgn28 View Post
Although this is a sticky in the AMD forums these will still be beneficial for you for testing the stability of your overclocks.. as I find more links I will post them here..

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...are-tools.html
Thanks I bookmarked.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yeah I would check the manual of your motherboard to find the settings to change to have your memory run at the correct speeds. I had to adjust mine to get my DDR2 memory to run at the rated 1066Mhz instead of 800Mhz that my BIOS defaulted the memory to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50 View Post
Thanks I bookmarked.
You are most welcome.. enjoy your self and don't get to frustrated when things don't seem to be going right.. there are alot of knowledgeable people here willing and able to assist you.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday View Post
oc now so that when the gtx 480 comes, yo'll be ready.
It wont be for a month or 2 and hopefully a price drop will happen but yeah I would like to be ready. I just am scared I still haven't found what I was looking for to help me do it. I am an OC noob.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
If your getting the 480 soon like a week or so, I would wait.
I had a 100% stable rig, even folding for months then I got 1 GTX 480 and it threw off my OC.

If your getting the 2nd GTX 480 in a long time from now then just OC now, and enjoy your extra free performance!

Edit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50 View Post
It wont be for a month or 2 and hopefully a price drop will happen but yeah I would like to be ready. I just am scared I still haven't found what I was looking for to help me do it. I am an OC noob.
Just OC that i7 930 now, its asking you to since 1-2 months is too long.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will be like a few months until I get the 2nd one so I am going to try and OC today or by the end of the weekend. I just need help.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggaaar
View Post

Ok, try these to guides - different approaches, I've done both:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/...-and-gulftown/

The first is easiest to get a nice overclock with very little effort. I'd never overclocked, and within a day I had a fairly stable 4GHz OC (it took 1 more click of Vcore to make it solid).
I then followed the advice in the second guide, just to help me understand OC'ing better, but you don't need to.

Thanks if my current OC doesn't work out I will take a look. Here is my current one. I am still testing stability.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-gener...l#post11033156

·
Registered
234 Posts
Excellent, hopefully someone with more experience than I will check your figures.

The main surprise to me is that you have a 19x multiplier. I can't see if you have turbo mode on, or what your temps are at load. Can you do a screenshot like that while running Prime or similar?

EDIT - bye the way, how did you come up with those settings? Have you already tested at lower OCs, like 3.36 or 3.8GHz?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replied to your other post in my other thread. I used a guide to get that high I never had a stable OC yet though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts