Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background - I've just put together a system last week and have everything set at stock settings and clock speed. It's my fourth custom system, but I haven't overclocked one since my Celeron 300A to 450 two systems ago... needless to say I'm a bit out of the loop.

I've been playing FEAR and am a bit disappointed at my systems performance. I know it's a hog to run, but I was hoping for better performance.

I've read a couple places that having only 1 gig of RAM in FEAR is a limiting factor. Should I pop another gig in? Is it worth it? Or should I consider overclocking some things. I'm not sure where to begin. Is the CPU the bottleneck here or the RAM?

Thanks gang.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Going all the way up to 2 GB ram sure makes sense today.
Especially in games like FEAR and BF2.
I think your value select RAM is more likely to be holding you back than your cpu.
I know for a fact that mine is holding me back.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Maybe you're expecting a bit much from your system, FEAR can really bring a system to it's knees with everything on max. An extra 512MB-1GB or ram would help running higher settings and textures, but overclocking the GFX should help a bit as well.

If you haven't already, I'd turn Soft Shadows off as these are a real killer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy replies... I'm gonna go for another 1gb of ram and see what happens before starting any overclocking.

Could you link me to some info on overclocking a 7800gt? As I said previously, only did OCing with my mobo and cpu way back when.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeMonkey79

Thanks for the speedy replies... I'm gonna go for another 1gb of ram and see what happens before starting any overclocking.

Could you link me to some info on overclocking a 7800gt? As I said previously, only did OCing with my mobo and cpu way back when.

thanks.

Download ATI Tool: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/104
Set find max core and leave for between 30-60 mins without any artifacts and then do the same for the max memory.
Once you have the settings, either startup with ATI Tool to enable the settings or modify and flash your bios. I can change the clockspeeds on your bios if necessary

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
...and like someone said before, don't expect too much out of your system. a lot of people will spend a couple of thousand dollars and expect the best from everything, and it just don't happen.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello! I feel for you! i have an outdated system by my specs but the ramis not the bottleneck i think...i have corsair value select ram 1gb and works fine and have a 512mb crucial...i recomend the vlue unless you are OCing i would go for value..this is my opinion but the expensive ram costs doulbe as much as regular ram so it is worth considering. In FEAR when you go to performance put your pc to medium/minimum/low and also make sure Vsync is off....just an unnecessary feature and you should be fine. I can run FEAR 32FPS 4xFSAA and 49FPS pure speed (1024x768) and this is the maximum my GFX card can perform as i have compared it to online test reslts! hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
good quality ram gets you more than just spending money. expensive ram gets you tighter timings OR higher overclock which makes it worth the value....i paid to get up to ddr650+

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeMonkey79

Quick background - I've just put together a system last week and have everything set at stock settings and clock speed. It's my fourth custom system, but I haven't overclocked one since my Celeron 300A to 450 two systems ago... needless to say I'm a bit out of the loop.

I've been playing FEAR and am a bit disappointed at my systems performance. I know it's a hog to run, but I was hoping for better performance.

I've read a couple places that having only 1 gig of RAM in FEAR is a limiting factor. Should I pop another gig in? Is it worth it? Or should I consider overclocking some things. I'm not sure where to begin. Is the CPU the bottleneck here or the RAM?

Thanks gang.

If you are going to end up overclocking to play FEAR, I'd suggest considering getting a brand-name PSU, at least 500W.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dump the on board sound and go for an X-fi sound card (huge framerate boost.) and update the video card. I have been playing fear with an XP2800 and it runs great with 2Gig of ram, the right sound and video cards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts