Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the specs in my sig. Currently i can hit almost 4ghz stable (as in play CS Source for hours with out trouble) at 17x235 which is good for 3.995ghz or I can hit 3.4ghz or so at 14x245. I am running the voltage at 1.525 and my temps are almost right at 60-65 under load.

anything above that and i get crashes. What is holding me back?

What would it take for me to hit 4ghz with the 14x multi? (that would be 285mhz fsb i belive).

My temps are a bit high but it is realy hot im my room. And would water cooling realy lower them that much?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
60-65 is way to hot!!! im assuming you were talking celsius...

that is way too hot for even a prescott... i would consider 135 as a stopping point for load temps...

What kind of cooling do you have on your chip

abd then what layout are you using in your case..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by remote_username

hmmm well if you have air cooling and its cold outside then put on a coat and open the window(s) it shold help push you over 4ghs

So you think its realy just the heat then hu?

Dam that sucks.. i debated for a long time on if i should go with this heat sink or wait a bit and get a cheap water cooling kit. The heatsink im useing is in my sig. Its the ThermalTake tower 112. From what i read it was supposed to be very good... i belive 2 reviews said "out preforms some water cooling kits"

As for my case setup a total of 5 case fans to exhuast in back to intake in front (though one blows through my 3 raid drives they get rather hot right next to each other so that fan doesnt do much) then one intake in the side in the window. I have 2 more 80mm fans one on each side of the Heat sink tower blowing in the same direction like this <--- heat sink <----- they blow toward the exhuast fans.

So i guess my only option is to trash the heat sink then and try to get a water cooling kit...

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
or u make it cooler in your room! the air cooling isnt going to work very well if its hot in your room. cool it down, and u should get 4ghz on the 14x multi. im at 300x14 almost all the time and i can fold, do 3dmark05, all but prime95. but my highest load temps are about 55 if it runs for like 12 hours or so....but thats cuz the base of my watercooling is a TT aquarious 2...not the best, but my little fridge makes up for that with 32* idle temps...but its time to upgrade to DD. i say just make a duct from outside, that should work the best

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE

Definately becareful in which water cooling u get because sum just totaly suck

I read a few reviews on that one and it seems ok. I plan to do some mods to it i am thinking of mounting it in an exteranl 5 1/4 bayfor better air flow and adding a second pump and then run the 2nd radiator outside my window.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
To answer your questions:

1. Your temps are right in the Prescott range, but under a very heavy load, you could very well be pushing the upper limit of 70*C. That is the breaking point. Prescott is just a hot mutha'

2. You should NOT buy a prefabbed water cooling kit. I have heard from many people that Prefab's perform like trash. You should get a nice Double Heater core from DD and build your system around that.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
He's right, there's a lot of air cooling solutions out there that out perform prefabbed cheapo water cooling kits.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
its supposed to be pretty good, one of the best pre fabs around...and it should be...it has a 120mm radiator

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yes, it would help, but for around the same price u can make a better kit from dangerden. i like that kit...probly the best for layz people, and has nice looks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

yes, it would help, but for around the same price u can make a better kit from dangerden. i like that kit...probly the best for layz people, and has nice looks

Well i ordered that kit i posted... I know it might not be the best but from the way i look at it it has lot of expandability options... I plan to later on get 1/2" tubeing instead of th 1/4 and then possibly add a heater core and better blocks but i think for the money you cant beat it.. I also am thinking about mounting it out side the case like in a external 5 1/4 bay encloser if i can find one...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowmirage

Well i ordered that kit i posted... I know it might not be the best but from the way i look at it it has lot of expandability options... I plan to later on get 1/2" tubeing instead of th 1/4 and then possibly add a heater core and better blocks but i think for the money you cant beat it.. I also am thinking about mounting it out side the case like in a external 5 1/4 bay encloser if i can find one...

Need some help here I decided i want to mount it outside the case in a 5.25" bay encloser. I know i will need longer tubing but the ? is can anyone tell me what i need to get to connect say the stuff from danger den to this kit radiators and blocks?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am wondering if anybody can give me a link to a complete cooling system, I know for a fact that I would screw something up if I tried to get all the parts myself. Also, is this kit a good cooling kit, besides the fact that it doesn't have a coolent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Thx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts