1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CPU: Athlon XP 1800+
MB: ASUS A7V8X-X
Memory: 512MB DDR333

I am noob in OC world, and Im trying to OC my computer here.
Im now using the stock setting - 11.5 x 133 = 1530

Tried to lower my multiplyer and raise the FBS...but doesnt work, it wont boot up.

What should I do to make my PC runs a little bit faster??

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm...

Is it locking up? Crashing? Spontaneously rebooting? More information is better.

First thing I'd check is how hot you're running. That's been my main problem. Also, you might need to up your voltages to make sure that you get enough power.

Check your temperature in the bios, and you can also use a program called EVEREST (Click for link) to do scans of your status.

I'm a noob, so I don't know everything, but these checking things has helped me.
There's a guide somewhere around this forum called the Ultimate Guide to Overclocking. I suggest you give it a gander if you haven't yet.

Peace,
---Ae

·
Registered
311 Posts
First before you do anything i would Lower that Multi to 11 see if it boots up. If it boots up i'd start raising the FSB until it don't boot anymore. Then i would up the vcore to maybe 1.7 and see where that gets me. I wouldn't go past 1.8 with
aircooling though. If it don't boot up when you change the multi, that probably means 1 of 2 things, 1= Your multi is locked 2= You motherboard sucks. If you can't change Multi then just start raising FSB until it won't boot anymore, and then raise the VCORE just a hair and see where that gets you. Keep doing that until you feel comfortable with the temps and everthing. Also try a multi of 10 and see if you can get the FSB up to 220. Then you would have a AMD 3200+. REmeber the more FSB the better!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aenimalius
Hmm...

Is it locking up? Crashing? Spontaneously rebooting? More information is better.

First thing I'd check is how hot you're running. That's been my main problem. Also, you might need to up your voltages to make sure that you get enough power.

Check your temperature in the bios, and you can also use a program called EVEREST (Click for link) to do scans of your status.

I'm a noob, so I don't know everything, but these checking things has helped me.
There's a guide somewhere around this forum called the Ultimate Guide to Overclocking. I suggest you give it a gander if you haven't yet.

Peace,
---Ae
Hi

Oh, it just locking up.
Then, I have to restart the PC and change back to the previous (working) settings in BIOS before it boots again.

I read that Ultimate .... OC Guide. I guess Im just too dumb to make it work.

For the CPU temp. : Idle - 45 Celsius
.......... MB temp. : 33 Celsius

Im using the Volcano 6Cu HS+Fan

Thank You

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclocking-the-world
WHOA!!!!!! 45ºC IDLE!! Dude if you want to consider overclocking i recommend a way better Heatsink. Try a Thermalright SI-97 or if you like copper SP-97
So for the average IDLE temp., how cool should consider as "COOL" ??
30 celsius?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahson
I read that Ultimate .... OC Guide. I guess Im just too dumb to make it work.
Hey, man. It ain't smarts you're lacking, it's knowledge. You probably just don't have enough information and background knowledge to make it all work out right. I don't either. That's why I'm here: To learn more.

Peace,
---Ae

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
1 get CPU-Z @ www.cpuid.com and see it your core is an 0 or A, 1 or B. THe B core is a better OCer.
2. If you want a good inexpensive FHS get the Thermaltake volcano 12 but dont bother with installing the sensor because you lose the fan speed control.
3. Your avg idle would be an excelent 28ish to low 30s
4. The case info is correct, make sure you have good in and out air flow. More and bigger is good. I prefer LARGE over fast because you still get the volume but not the noise. Always have more pushing in the front/or side bottom than drawing out the back/top.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since my Multipier is locked as 11.5x, so I decided to raise the FSB.
I tested out 1 by 1 from stock's 133/33, 134 .... to 149....it works.....but after 149 it just won't work.
I even tried to raise the VCore from 1.75 to 1.8....it still wont boots up.
It just locks up when I try to reboot it.

Whats wrong? Memory is limiting me to go even higher?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Could be that your motherboard just can't take anymore. At a certain point, you just won't be stable. Are you still idling at 45ºC? That might be the problem. When you're going through startup, things get too hot, the computer freaks out and commits seppuku.

I know that my cpu temp idles at 63ºC and my case temp at 48ºC. I can't push my FSB more than about 12 MHz above stock without it freaking out. Seems to be about where you are. My guess would be to try some better cooling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahson

Since my Multipier is locked as 11.5x, so I decided to raise the FSB.
I tested out 1 by 1 from stock's 133/33, 134 .... to 149....it works.....but after 149 it just won't work.
I even tried to raise the VCore from 1.75 to 1.8....it still wont boots up.
It just locks up when I try to reboot it.

Whats wrong? Memory is limiting me to go even higher?

It's your Via chip set motherboard.( A7 " V " 8X. The V stands for Via " ) If you have a preset 200 mhz stepping in your bios, it may lock your divider at 1/6. this will put your AGP/PCI at 66/33 mhz at 200 mhz fsb. If it does you might get up to 210 mhz. At 166 mhz fsb the divider is set at 1/5. This will allow you to get up to 180 mhz fsb. Also update your bios to the latest one if you haven't already done so. All this will depend on your motherboard, ram, and cpu. Every one of them is different. So every overclock will be different, even with identical equipment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts