Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/powercolor_rx_vega_56_8gb_nano_edition_review/1

"Today's review is a bit of a rarity around these parts, it's a RX Vega based GPU.

It can't have escaped your attention that there are very few RX Vega models on the market as the mining community snaps them up so quickly that there is almost no reason to advertise them or send them into review websites.

It was therefore with a reasonable amount of surprise that we saw PowerColor had produced a Nano model of the super-popular Vega 56 graphics card as we couldn't wait to see what it has to offer. Normally when we're reviewing PowerColor models that utilise an AMD GPU we're look at their Devil series. Can the more standard Nano still produce the goods?"

First review of Vega nano. Includes undervolting results.

Performance isn't bad with performance close to a vega 56 for the most part except for some throttling issues at 4k in certain titles. However, the power consumption is just like the regular vega 56.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
who's this card for?
someone who already has freesync display and wants to go ITX?
we just need a Vega64 version for $299 please

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Hate to say it, but is there really a point getting this over a mini 1070? The original R9 Nano was a nice GPU: it was between a Fury and Fury X, overall, and comfortably ahead of the 980. Power consumption wasn't outrageous either; AMD claimed the last 10% of the Fury X's performance was a result of 50% of its power draw. It was expensive, obviously, but it had a niche and was even smaller than most mini 970s.

Vega on the other hand has been really disappointing, overall. Power draw on this is close to a 1080Ti but it's not offering anywhere near the performance to justify it; contrast with Fiji which just barely trailed behind GM200 while using a similar amount of power. AMD has lost a lot of ground in a single generation, though I guess it's nice in the short-term that they're selling Vega as fast as they can produce it. They might not have had that luxury or maybe even would have been forced to cut prices if it weren't for mining.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
I still love the form factor but I agree that this is a hard sell for most users. I thought the Fury X had pretty a pretty bad performance/power consumption ratio, but this takes the cake and this is coming from a Fury X owner. Can't believe such a little gpu can use almost as much power as my 1080Ti...

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
But does it ~mine~

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
who's this card for?
someone who already has freesync display and wants to go ITX?
we just need a Vega64 version for $299 please

Ayup. Until that happens I'm sticking with my Fury. They are slowly getting there as they are now under $600.

·
GPU Enthusiast
2,561 Posts
Eh card. If there was a plan for a block at its $450 price it might be worthwhile if you have a loop.

Terrible review. No HBM Clock testing, no comparison cards in several pages, not listing GPU scores in 3Dmark tests. Bleh.

·
Registered
323 Posts
what happened to all the other aib vegas that were supposed to come out

·
2,327 Posts

·
More Vcore
1,559 Posts
what happened to all the other aib vegas that were supposed to come out
Which ones are you referring to? We already have

Sapphire Nitro+
Sapphire Nitro+ LE
Sapphire Pulse
Powercolor Red Devil
Powercolor Red Dragon
Asus ROG Strix
Gigabyte Windforce
MSi Airboost (crap blower card)

Only reason why I am asking is because the only cards really missing are the MSi Gaming or maybe a Gigabyte Aorus. There are big performance differences between some of the AIB models too. I have reviewed a handful so far.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Which ones are you referring to? We already have

Sapphire Nitro+
Sapphire Nitro+ LE
Sapphire Pulse
Powercolor Red Devil
Powercolor Red Dragon
Asus ROG Strix
Gigabyte Windforce
MSi Airboost (crap blower card)

Only reason why I am asking is because the only cards really missing are the MSi Gaming or maybe a Gigabyte Aorus. There are big performance differences between some of the AIB models too. I have reviewed a handful so far.
Don't forget the Asus AREZ too lol: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...245&cm_re=asus_vega_64-_-14-126-245-_-Product

·
More Vcore
1,559 Posts
I wasn't going to list the Arez since everything about the GPP needs to die in an AMD fire 🔥

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,749 Posts
Glad I picked up the limited edition RX Vega 64 XTX(LC) All these custom cards look like garbage.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Isn't this card a little late to the game?
I would have bought a 64 if not for mining but mining did happen and now any one that wanted a vega either got one or bought nvidia. It's a cool card for sure but who's it for this late in the game?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hate to say it, but is there really a point getting this over a mini 1070? The original R9 Nano was a nice GPU: it was between a Fury and Fury X, overall, and comfortably ahead of the 980. Power consumption wasn't outrageous either; AMD claimed the last 10% of the Fury X's performance was a result of 50% of its power draw. It was expensive, obviously, but it had a niche and was even smaller than most mini 970s.

Vega on the other hand has been really disappointing, overall. Power draw on this is close to a 1080Ti but it's not offering anywhere near the performance to justify it; contrast with Fiji which just barely trailed behind GM200 while using a similar amount of power. AMD has lost a lot of ground in a single generation, though I guess it's nice in the short-term that they're selling Vega as fast as they can produce it. They might not have had that luxury or maybe even would have been forced to cut prices if it weren't for mining.
Its for people who know what the Vega can do in the realm of actual work that need that capacity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts