Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reloaded Windows 10 and decided to upgrade from 1809 to Windows10 20H2 build 19042.804 and now as soon as the CPU gets a little load on it the PC freezes completely for a few seconds then reboots
I installed Timespy and it ran great right up to the end where it benches the CPU then it froze
BFV also freezes and reboots at startup because of the CPU intensive launch screen
I don't want to hear any suggestions of hardware problems because I've been running this overclock for nearly a year with not even one BSOD :)

As always any help appreciated

·
sudo apt install sl
8,353 Posts
Blue screens when you run CPU intensive workloads with an overclock and you expect to get suggestions that don't suggest re-testing your overclock? How long have you ran Prime95 w/ AVX to actually test stability?

Going off these statics 5.2Ghz is rare.

Comet LakeAll Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyPer Core FrequencyAll Core Die Sense VcorePower Limit% Capable
10900K4.80GHz4.70GHz6C+100MHz
3C+200MHz
1.130V210W100%
10900K4.90GHz4.80GHz6C+100MHz
3C+200MHz
1.150V220WTop 99%
10900K5.00GHz4.90GHz6C+100MHz
3C+200MHz
1.170V230WTop 68%
10900K5.10GHz5.00GHz6C+100MHz
3C+200MHz
1.190V250WTop 21%
10900K5.20GHz5.10GHz6C+100MHz
3C+200MHz
1.210V270WTop 1%

• Rep+
Reactions: munternet

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get blue screens
Until yesterday directly after I installed the new windows the PC ran smooth as
The motherboard VRMs would also be a factor
I'm trying to find out if there is a problem with this version of Windows10
Cheers for the reply :)

·
Robotic Chemist
3,301 Posts
Interesting, I have also had a few odd reboots running 19042.804 recently. I have been running 20H2 for a while but it did get Cumulative Update KB4601319 recently. I was worried about VRMs as well since it seems more like power reboots I had in the past.

No signs of stability otherwise though, and benchmarks and stability tests all pass, so it seems odd. :unsure:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't get blue screens
Until yesterday directly after I installed the new windows the PC ran smooth as
The motherboard VRMs would also be a factor
I'm trying to find out if there is a problem with this version of Windows10
Did you try reinstalling 1809 and seeing if all the problems go away?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try reinstalling 1809 and seeing if all the problems go away?
As fun as that sounds....no :p
Hey guess what? It's fixed itself, so it looks like it might be something to do with an update patch it did in the background
I guess now is a good time to shut updates off :)

·
hazed is lazed
316 Posts
i had some issues with windows 10 recently i think it was a update from microsoft. i updated my pc and i got BSOD when i restart. so i reinstall windows and did all the updates and reinstalled everything and then i was getting a flashing desktop onboot and i resinstalled again. i think there was a bug in the update that was fixed. sucks for all the people that dont know how to "factory reset" windows and install it from USB.. Prolly a lot of trips to the computer repair shop..but anyway..
im currently rock solid stable on all stress tests and benchmarks. Im at 5.2GHZ All Core, LLC6, 1.39Vcore, 1.26 Load Voltage and a max temp of 78c. My ram is 64GB at c18, 1.41 Vdimm, 1.27 VCCSA, 1.25 VCCIO and 1.24DMI rock solid stable.
Iv been running like this for few months with 0 errors, BSOD, and WHEA Errors, if i put the voltage down to 1.38 i get WHEA error after hr long gaming sessions.
Here is a pic when i just start prime 95.

temps start out at 65-69c and rise to mid 70s in about 5 mins. then after about 20 mins it caps off at 79c. at a 310W Load.. Amazing what direct die, lapping the cpu die with cool laboratory liquid metal pro does..
im gonna try to set adaptive voltage and see what i can do with the AC/DC load line. anyone here running adaptive. id like to get my idle voltage down from high 1.30,s to under 1.3 right now i idle at 1.385 Vcore, and while gaming the CPU never goes below 1.3, im sure i could clock it up to 5.4 or 5.5 and be stable in games but my rule of thumb is if it aint prime95 small FFT stable i dont wana risk it crashing right when im in the middle of doing something. if i go to 5.3GHZ all Core it requires a large voltage bump and more LLC and its just not worth it to me.. the load wattage is somthing like over 400W. and extra 100w for just a 100MHZ boost isint worth it. so im staying at 5.2 All core for now.

here is a pic after 10mins of prime95 small fft

amazing how cool you can get this chip with liquid metal. after 10 mins max core temp is 79c on core 1 and lowest is core 9 at 70c

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,053 Posts
Drop overclock down to 4.8ghz, finish updating windows and do a sfc /scannow to make sure any files are good to go, then re-apply your overclock.

Doesnt matter in the slightest if you have been running that overclock since day one. Different software ALWAYS plays games with your OC in different ways. Might be something as simple as at idle and very light loads, windows is using the hardware more.

This is almost exactly why I never choose the bleeding edge with an overclock. I would find the edge, then if thermally able, add a tiny bit more voltage, or if thermally limited, back the clocks down one tick, then run it.

helps a lot in preventing that 1% issue popping up. idle and low loads are always the hardest to fully stabilize.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drop overclock down to 4.8ghz, finish updating windows and do a sfc /scannow to make sure any files are good to go, then re-apply your overclock.

Doesnt matter in the slightest if you have been running that overclock since day one. Different software ALWAYS plays games with your OC in different ways. Might be something as simple as at idle and very light loads, windows is using the hardware more.

This is almost exactly why I never choose the bleeding edge with an overclock. I would find the edge, then if thermally able, add a tiny bit more voltage, or if thermally limited, back the clocks down one tick, then run it.

helps a lot in preventing that 1% issue popping up. idle and low loads are always the hardest to fully stabilize.
It was rock solid in all the tests I did for nearly a year now. Not one BSOD or freeze unless I overcooked the ram overclock, but the CPU has been a trooper
It has fixed itself now so I'm fairly sure it was a windows patch. I turned off updates in gpedit.msc today so I'm pretty positive it's sorted and will stay that way
Power plan is set to "cook" in windows and it stays at 5.2GHz 100% as always :)
Ram overclock on the other hand....well we'll see but that's another story :p
how long did you stress test?
It was insta crashing before the stress even went on. It was something very dire
It's all good now thankyou :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
It hit me and through some diagnostics/benchmarking figured out it was the Vdroop. Had to reset it for a bigger spread and after that it was fine. Only caused issues when playing division 2. Would at first freeze/crash the game and eventually was getting blue screen and it would reboot the system. Dropped the vdroop down to 6 (strix z390-e board) and after that the problem went away.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
4,163 Posts
I reloaded Windows 10 and decided to upgrade from 1809 to Windows10 20H2 build 19042.804 and now as soon as the CPU gets a little load on it the PC freezes completely for a few seconds then reboots
I installed Timespy and it ran great right up to the end where it benches the CPU then it froze
BFV also freezes and reboots at startup because of the CPU intensive launch screen
I don't want to hear any suggestions of hardware problems because I've been running this overclock for nearly a year with not even one BSOD :)

As always any help appreciated
whats your setup.. meaning mobo
and which bios are you using??

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whats your setup.. meaning mobo
and which bios are you using??
Hardware is in my sig and BIOS 0088
Looks like I had to add a little vccio to fix it 100% but all good now
Just played about 2 1/2 hours BFV with no problems (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts