Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a program anyone knows of that can read below freezing? Once my cpu comes up to 1c or 33f core temp starts reading, below that I just get 32 question mark. I would like to know how cold I'm going. Core temp has me between 32 and 68f. Most of the time it sits on 32? I'm not worried about my coolant freezing as it should be good to -10f or less. It would just be nice to know how things are operating. I'm running an amd fx8150 at around 4300 mhz which for a lot of you guys is only a minor boost. :confused:http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how are you getting your CPU that cold?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Zalman reserator with two pumps on it. To go really cold I have a couple of stainless steel water bottles that I freeze with gel for a soda cooler. I opened the plastic unit and filled the water bottle. Put them in a freezer or outdoors if it is below freezing. The bottles can fit inside the resorator and the water circulates around the water bottle. The stainless bottle won't hurt the system and it lets the water with methanol get cold. After that in the cpu block the venturi effect helps lower the temp even more.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Cool! Literally...........

But the venturi effect only causes changes in velocity and pressure in liquids.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beigefloyd View Post

Is there a program anyone knows of that can read below freezing? Once my cpu comes up to 1c or 33f core temp starts reading, below that I just get 32 question mark. I would like to know how cold I'm going. Core temp has me between 32 and 68f. Most of the time it sits on 32? I'm not worried about my coolant freezing as it should be good to -10f or less. It would just be nice to know how things are operating. I'm running an amd fx8150 at around 4300 mhz which for a lot of you guys is only a minor boost. :confused:http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
The FX chips only report their correct temp under load and even then the margin of error is 10c either way. They don't have a thermometer like Intel chips they use an algorithm to produce a temperature reading.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is from a web search. There isn't much information on venturi effect cooling but here is some.

CoreTemp-ice2-Scr.png 20k .png file

FreshPatents.com Logo
stats FreshPatents Stats
19 views for this patent on FreshPatents.com
2013: 1 views
2012: 3 views
2011: 7 views
2010: 8 views
newTOP 200 Companies filing patents this week

Advertise Here
Promote your product, service and ideas.

Free Services
MONITOR KEYWORDS

twitter [email protected]

12/17/09 | Class 361 Monitor | rss RSS | Industry | Agents | Inventors
Systems and methods for venturi fan-assisted cooling
last patentdownload pdfimage previewnext patent

Title: Systems and methods for venturi fan-assisted cooling.
Abstract: Systems and methods for Venturi fan-assisted cooling of electrical equipment are provided. In one embodiment, a cooling unit for an enclosure housing electronics is provided. The cooling unit comprises: a fan shroud having at least one electrical fan; and a Venturi chamber having a first inlet for receiving a heated airflow from a heatsink, a second inlet for receiving an airflow from a surrounding environment, and an outlet coupled to the fan shroud, the fan drawing air from the Venturi chamber via the outlet when the fan is on. The Venturi chamber comprises a wall for directing the airflow air from the surrounding environment in from the second inlet and across the heated airflow from the heatsink in a manner to as to draw the heated airflow through the heatsink using a Venturi effect, when the fan is on. ...

Browse recent Adc Telecommunications, Inc. patents
USPTO Applicaton #: #20090310301 - Class: 361695 (USPTO) - 12/17/09 - Class 361

Either venturi effect cooling works for me or the Zalman resorator I bought on ebay was built at Hogwarts for professor Dumbledorf. Any way I look at it it works for me.

Attachments

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
So, you put some frozen SS bottles in here:

And where does this venturi cooling take place?

The patent you referred to is about an air venture

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
The temperature sensors don't even need to reach below 0c and stop reading to become inaccurate. They really are only tuned to read load temps, so the best way to measure temps with a sub ambient loop is to use a temp probe. If you aren't running a cold plate that has room to drill into you can epoxy one to the side of the IHS if you don't want to drill or damage anything. Just be sure it isn't directly inbetween anything or it will ruin your temps.

To show just how innacurate they are, my temp probe drilled into my cold plate consistently shows a higher temp by a few degrees then the IHS temp probe inside my 3770k. Common sense states that the cold plate should be colder then the die of the processor since there are two layers of TIM and an IHS between them. The colder I go, the bigger the discrepancy. By ~7c cold plate temp at idle the software will peg all four core temps in Realtemp at 0c when they are probably around ~10c. At higher temps like 15c the temps make a lot more sense, and range from 17-20c core. That means you can't even just set an offset in the software because it can range from reading a -7c to a +5c discrepancy depending on what temps are set for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Air is considered as a liquid when speaking of fluid dynamics so although the article referred to air it is also valid for water as well. My feeling is that the effect takes place in the cpu block itself. The quick disconnects don't seem to have a temperature difference either. The other place it could happen is when the coolant reenters the reserator, but I don't think so because it would get cooler not warmer as I work. I can't verify where the effect is taking place but right now I'm running around 38 to 40f with no ice. No the room temperature isn't that cold. Ambient is about 68f. SO I guess it's just a Hogwarts effect I'm seeing with the old reserator I got on ebay. This one must have been professor Dumbledorfs but it still works for me very well.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Air is considered as a liquid when speaking of fluid dynamics so although the article referred to air it is also valid for water as well. .
You're confusing fluid dynamics with thermodynamics The fluid dynamics of liquids and gasses are quite similar, but the thermodynamics are very different. The "Ideal Gas Laws" don't apply to liquids. Liquids are incompressible at normal pressures. At the 5 or so psi in a water cooling system there is essentially no compression / expansion of the water. Yes, when you get to pressures in the range of 50 bar and above there is minimal compression but almost no heat gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then you tell me how I'm getting to the temperatures I'm running. It's rare I get over 18c even doing video editing.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Then you tell me how I'm getting to the temperatures I'm running. It's rare I get over 18c even doing video editing.
Sure. Post some pics or a drawing of your setup. It's hard to tell what you're actually doing from this thread..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts