Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just FINALLY got my i5 750 stable at 4ghz. Finished 24 hours of prime95 this morning with no errors. Now that thats done, i would like my processor to underclock itself when idle to save some power, no use browsing the internet at 4ghz. How do i go about doing this? I tried changing some settings in bios which i thought would allow the cpu to underclock itself but it just BSODs shortly after post. doesnt even get into widnows. Namely I enabled intels speed step tech (allows cpu speed to be controlled by the os) and enabled the C states (forgot what the actual option was called). So what did i do wrong? Or is there another trick or something im missing? Can this even be done or is it too high of an overclock to attempt any power saving?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I figured Id do the same thing then someone kindly pointed out to me:

The difference is literally a few pennies an hour (at MOST) and the instabilities that come along with it are not worth it in the long run. I cant find the post right now but the difference from max processor power to underclocked really doesn't make a big difference in your electric bill.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Double check to make sure your C states are all enabled and SpeedStep is enabled.
My 2500k is overclocked only by raising multiplier and it's able to downclock when idle.

Some argue that your CPU shouldn't need to run at full speed all day while you browse the internet. Other's don't mind.
Personally, i like mine to downclock, probably makes near zero impact on the electricity bill anyway, however keeps the CPU running cooler when you're not using it either, would help in the summer to have it this way too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts