Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I just overclocked my 1.6ghz willmatte cpu to 1.85ghz and its on stock cooling and stock voltage (1.70) and i am currently using the heat test on prime 95 and it is up to 51degrees celcius i was wondering if this is ok and if i could push it further

·
Registered
965 Posts
51c idle or load?

See what your load temps are for sure.. Prime95 with do a good job of that, or play a game that leaves your cpu at 100%

My 1.4 wilamette was 51c idle and 68c load with stock cooling and stock clock! I used that for about 3 years...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was 51 load

but after about 10 minutes of running prime 95 it said there was an error so i put it back to stock(im a noob)

·
Registered
840 Posts
hmm.. if you were lucky with that core (I used to have a willamette too, a 1.7Ghz one and I got it up to 2.25Ghz) you may be able to get to 2.15Ghz. Try upping the vcore and buying a better HSF... those are your best shots.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
My Wilamette always ran on the hot side, I'd push 65C with the stock sink and stock clocks, so if you're really wanting to do some overclocking it, you should consider a new heatsink. I used a volcano 7+ on mine and it would top out around 40C load, so you might want to consider the Spark 7 (samething) or a Volcano 12+.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the reply yiffy but what i really want to know is should i be worried about the error that prime 95 produced or should it not matter that much

I am very cautious with this type of thing because i am only 14 and dont have much spare money to throw around.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The error given out just means that while running the tests, the results of a given operation on the processor didn't meet up with what it should be, basically meaning the overclock was unstable. No damage would be done, you might just get crashes in games and such. You usually counter Prime95 errors by increasing the core voltage, but doing so will generate more heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts