Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast can your hot rod go?

I was shocked recently when I was able to push my Hotrod to 4664MHz. That's 4.66GHz. I did it without going beyond Intel's 'relative maximum' guidelines for Vcore and Vtt. Can you beat my speed?

I can boot my machine at up to BCLK=207MHz with a 22x multiplier. To get a higher speed I used EasyTune6 motherboard management software that comes with Gigabyte mb's to increment the BCLK while Windows was running.

Here at 4642MHz my machine was able to do some useful work: CPU-Z validated the setting, Firefox displayed the validation page, a screenshot was obtained, the screenshot was pasted, and the screenshot was saved.

(these screenshots were trimmed to get them inside OCN's Gallery image size limits.)

You will note that I stayed within safe voltages. The relative max voltage recommended by Intel for Lynnfield chips is 1.4v for both Vcore and Vtt (IMC). Since my Vtt goes up in 0.02v increments I had to settle for 1.39v - 1.41v would go above the guideline.

At 4664MHz, CPU-Z was able to validate the speed (the screenshot was gotten later). I was able to copy the screenshot to clipboard, but when I went to paste it, the machine crashed.

Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1388045

Now for BCLK. My previous GA-P55A-UD3P could boot up with a BCLK of 230MHz. My current board (had to RMA the first board for bad sound) won't boot to 230. So I booted to 225 and worked up to 230 with ET6.

Again, CPU-Z validated the setting, Firefox displayed the validation page, a screenshot was obtained, the screenshot was pasted, and the screenshot was saved:

Next I increased the BCLK by 2MHz to 232. CPU-Z was able to validate the speed (the screenshot was gotten later). I was able to copy the screenshot to clipboard, but when I went to paste it, the machine crashed.

Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1388071

So here's the challenge: beat my cpu speed or my bclk.

The rules:

1. All four cores, but safe voltage: no more than the Intel recommended relative maximum cpu voltage (Vcore) and/or IMC/Vtt, etc. for your cpu.

2. Get the speeds up however you can. You don't have to boot up into your settings. You can use software to do it. HT can be on or off. We're not looking for any real stability here, just enough to record your speed. If it passes prime95 or LinX, it's not fast enough. Pure speed - that's the ticket.

3. Validate with CPU-Z and post the validation with screenshots - one of the highest speed where you can save a screenshot showing your voltages, and one that shows the highest CPU-Z validation you were able to achieve. The idea is to show that you stayed within safe voltages.

Please let us know when you are using below room temperature cooling, like dry ice, liquid nitrogen, piped-in winter air, etc. Also, if your cpu is not on a 45nm process, also include that.

So, will OCNers with fancy i7 9xx's beat our lowly 8xx's? Who makes the fastest boards? Gigabyte? Asus? EVGA? Biostar?

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines! Post your speeds!

<gets out of the way>

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing angel View Post
Is it prime 95/ linX stable?
Thanks for the question. I'll amend the post. We're looking for pure speed here, with just enough stability to post the results. No prime95, LinX, OCCT, etc. need apply.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I am terrified. Just holding on for dear life at 4.10 Ghz. Will this software be useful on a Non EVGA Board. I am in amazement that I can beat Prime 95 at 4.10 . This has taken me a year. 4.6 ,on less than 1.4 vcore? Must be a Golden supreme blessed chip.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutty1998 View Post
I am terrified. Just holding on for dear life at 4.10 Ghz. Will this software be useful on a Non EVGA Board. I am in amazement that I can beat Prime 95 at 4.10 . This has taken me a year. 4.6 ,on less than 1.4 vcore? Must be a Golden supreme blessed chip.
No prime95. No stability testing. Just speed, pure and simple. With my system, for example, I had not really taken it above 4GHz with stability testing. But now with the 1.4v Vtt limit (it was 1.21v) I can raise that and lower my Vcore, with lower cpu core temps. Might be able to get to 4.05GHz before it gets too hot.

So this is just what a chip will do unloaded. That's why 4664MHz crashed when it was asked to do a paste.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Well, if I leave HT on, and all 4 cores too. I can get a run at your speed with 1.65v
. You didn't mention earlier if HT had to be on, and if all cores need to be on also. Might be able to squeeze that on 2 cores/2 threads

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All four cores. HT can be on or off. I'll update the OP.

And with the 875k: can't you guys use a low bclk and a high multi, like 30x?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
All four cores. HT can be on or off. I'll update the OP.

And with the 875k: can't you guys use a low bclk and a high multi, like 30x?
I tried 133 bclk @ 35x multi for 4.655GHz, still a no go.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by R00ST3R View Post
I tried 133 bclk @ 35x multi for 4.655GHz, still a no go.
Slightly higher bclk, slightly lower multi? I crept up on my 4664MHz, booting into 22x207 then incrementing my bclk one MHz at a time with the Windows based software that came with my MB. Your MB must have similar software.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
im fairly sure that absolute maximums are 1.55v for vcore and like 1.45 for VTT.

but thats not the "max" is the absolute max.

EDIT: I was thinking bloomfield. my bad

Lynnfield IS 1.4 FOR vtt and Vcore

Bloomfield is 1.55v Vcore and 1.35v VTT

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
im fairly sure that absolute maximums are 1.55v for vcore and like 1.45 for VTT.

but thats not the "max" is the absolute max.

EDIT: I was thinking bloomfield. my bad

Lynnfield IS 1.4 FOR vtt and Vcore

Bloomfield is 1.55v Vcore and 1.35v VTT
For Lynnfield the relative max for Vcore and Vtt is 1.4v. The absolute max for Vcore is 1.55v. I have not seen an absolute max for Vtt. I'll go look.

But I would not want anyone going over the relative max. That's the ceiling. No suicide runs!!!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Slightly higher bclk, slightly lower multi? I crept up on my 4664MHz, booting into 22x207 then incrementing my bclk one MHz at a time with the Windows based software that came with my MB. Your MB must have similar software.
It does. The EVGA E-Leet utility. I messed around with it a bit a while back, going to have to try it out again. I really don't have too much faith in this chip. I was able to pull this on the 860: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1046671 Fully stable at 4.305GHz. I can't get this 875K stable at 4.4GHz with 1.55vCore. I'll try the software out though, might be surprised.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, not looking for real stability. Just enough to touch base with the Internet through CPU-Z.

I'm looking at the June revision of the Intel Processor Datasheet for Lynnfields. It looks as though what used to be relative maxes for Vcore and Vtt are now absolute maxes: 1.4v (table 7-4, p 65). And Vddq (Vdimm, Vram) absolute max is 1.8v.

The relative maxes for these are in table 7-6 on page 67: 1.155v for Vtt and 1.575v for Vddq. Note that many of our RAM sticks require a lot more voltage than that.

So, to reaffirm: no going over 1.4v for Vcore or Vtt for Lynnfields.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice View Post
Would you care if I took you up on this challenge on a Bloomfield? Here's what I managed without going that high on volts, no screenshot because it never occurred to me at that time.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1367990
By all means join in with a Bloomfield! Bloomfields, quad Core 2's, any Intel cpu quad. This is a dragstrip!

And 4523.31 MHz (215.4 * 21) is a fine . . . start. What a lovely BCLK.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Within the rules

247.81 Bclk w/ 655K On P55A-UD6 @ 1.28v

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1350332

The above CPU is for sale BTW, and can do 6Ghz+, here is my FS thread
http://www.overclock.net/main-compon...-655k-can.html

Just outside the rules (I think?) @ 1.408V

235.07 Bclk @ 4.46 w/ 980X on X58A-UD7 (On water)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1131837

247.38 Bclk w/ 875K On P55A-UD6 @ 1.36V 1c/1t though, so invalid entry (Was doing testing is why 1c/1t)
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1346836

Outside the rules, but valid and super cool to post

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1193181

Yes guys, that is a bugged result

Gigabyte all the way here!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts