Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I finally got my first build together last night formatted the hdd for dual boot (xp pro + fedora core3). Here are the important hardware specs..

Intel P4 2.4c Northwood
Asus p4p800 SE
512 DDR 400 (Corsair value RAM)
80 gig WD SATA

I've got the CPU overclocked from 2.4 to 2.88 and everything seems to be running ok. Idle temp is 33C right now according to MDM5. Haven't done any benchmarking yet.. what do you guys recommend for this (freeware).

I tried turning the setting up to 30% OC in the bios, which is 3.12, and XP is blue screening on me. I'm still looking into the cause of it since I have read many posts about people OC'ing this setup to 3.12 stable using the stock fan.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
2.4 to 3.12 stable with stock cooling? hmm i guess so but i wouldnt

that's 720mhz and i wouldnt go that far without some additional cooling

your PSU seems to be good, and your memory is quick enough

check to make sure that your DDR is set to 400 in your BIOS and not like 266 or 333

btw, nice video card

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,934 Posts
W00T on the VCARD!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, thanks.. the vcard is dope alright
I'm going to upgrade it next month, don't worry :)

As for the CPU oc'ing.. I've changed the CPU External frequency to 250Mhz (3ghz) and ram settings to 400mhz (is that right for ddr400??). Windows XP Pro blue screens with this error=
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Anyone know what's goin on here?

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,934 Posts
yeah, 400mhz is right.

i get that a lot when i go for 2-3-8-6 timings on my RAM

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
try lowering to 2.9 or 2.8 ghz man

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earlier I had achieved ~2940MHz but now the system wont even hit 2.8GHz. hmmmm

Right now it's clocking at 2640MHz and idle temp is 33C still. If I set the CPU Frequency at 250 and the RAM at 400, the computer wont even reach the bios. That would be 3ghz and I know this setup is capable of 3.12. What do you guys recommend changing?? Voltage maybe?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
just because A chip has reacher 3.12 doesnt mean yours will, every chip is different

but yes increase the vcore a notch, that will help for sure

try that and tell me the results, u might have to increase the vdimm (memory volatge) aswell but try just the vcore first

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigval

just because A chip has reacher 3.12 doesnt mean yours will, every chip is different

but yes increase the vcore a notch, that will help for sure

try that and tell me the results, u might have to increase the vdimm (memory volatge) aswell but try just the vcore first

Alright.. changed vcore to 1.5500V and the remaining voltage options are DDR Reference Voltage and AGP VDDQ Voltage. Both of these I have not touched.

System doesn't like this setting, still won't boot

Also, FYI.. I have the AGP/PCI Freq at 66.66/33.33 - is that a good setting to keep it locked?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i've currently got it overclocked to 2.88GHz right now and it's been running for about 2 hours straight with a constant idle temp of 26-29C. I'm pretty happy for now but I'm sure I'll get bored and try to pass up 3GHz soon enough. Not bad for a low budget machine though (;

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get blue screen passing 3.2, I think that is voltage, but I wont modify that, buy a faster cpu!!!

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,934 Posts
why do that? just get a better cooler.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cologsx
Well, i've currently got it overclocked to 2.88GHz right now and it's been running for about 2 hours straight with a constant idle temp of 26-29C. I'm pretty happy for now but I'm sure I'll get bored and try to pass up 3GHz soon enough. Not bad for a low budget machine though (;
man, you have a great northwood chip! you need more vcore!!!

dude, mine is at 1.775, yes i have watercooling, but to oc, you are gonna need more juice!!

i say ease it up to 1.6+ and see what you get -- as long as your temps stay ok, you are good to go!!! those 2.4 nw's can oc better than my 1.8 i think...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah dude, i'd definately have to agree from what I have read about these cpus. I might play with the vcore when I get off work today, we'll see. I don't want to stress the cpu too much and burn it up since this is my first overclock build.

Thanks for the help you have provided so far..

BTW, I've still got it clocking at 2.88GHz and the Idle temp is at 25 right now.. was 27 earlier. That's not too bad for stock air (;

1 - 15 of 15 Posts