Overclock.net banner

3261 - 3280 of 3521 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi dr.Rafi
I see what you are saying but I never had any overheating problems before and I think the extra flow actually helped bleed all the air from the top of system really well
I'm probably more interested in the reasons for the blue screens and whether I need to get a new waterblock tomorrow because it's black Friday :)
I have turned the pump up from 45% to 80% and flow is slower than before
How old is the pump and what brand is it. Youtuber "der8auer" had a recent youtube video and he mentioned how his girls 9900k's system ddc pump has died and had to be replaced like 5xs. He was using pastel fluid so maybe it had something to do with that, but furthermore i would for sure check the pump. What bsod did you get? You could always run realbench testing cpu only to rule the cpu out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I fitted my air cooled 3080 Tuf OC in place of my water cooled 1080 ti a few days back and since then I have had 2 bsod while running realbench 2.56. Something which never happened before. Been running this setup for a few months now with no problems at all.
I just now turned the GPU voltage limiter up from 100 to 110% in afterburner which seems to have solved the bluescreen problem but I'm not really sure why.
Having removed the GPU from the water loop I have a temporary soft section and I seem to get more restriction now as the coolant can't take the easier route through the GPU waterblock and must pass through the CPU block.
The block is very old and I'm wondering if I should bin it and get a new one? The pump really struggles to turn the flow wheel now and I'm wondering if the early EK blocks were any good?.
I was testing to see if I need to water cool the GPU and I don't think I will bother at this stage as the frames in BFV are plentiful.
Any suggestions appreciated as always :)
Original loop and temporary loop pics
Something is wrong with your loop. Are you sure that your CPU block or radiators aren't dirty and clog up? That hwinfo screen shot doing Realbench are really high temperatures for only CPU in loop. For comparison, my 10900k which is at the moment on test bench cooled with Corsair h115i platinum, are much cooler even on 5.3 cpu and 5GHz cache. You can say that EKWB is not greatest water cooling blocks/radiators but for sure they are better than one AIO.

I think that @Placekicker19 is maybe is right about your pump, especially as your flow has dropped when you have increased speed.

Here is it Prime95 nonAVX 5.3/5.0

Prime95 non-AVX 5.3-5.0GHz-new layout.JPG

And here it is Realbench on 5.3/5.0

Realbench 5.3-5.0GHz.JPG

And Blender 5.3/5.0

Blender 5.3-5.0GHz.JPG

Now here it is prime95 nonAVX 5.2/4.9

Prime95 5.2Ghz non-AVX.jpg

And here it is Realbench on 5.2/4.9

Realbench 5.2-1.3llc4.JPG

And Blender 5.2/4.9

Blender 5.2GHz-new-1.JPG

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
I fitted my air cooled 3080 Tuf OC in place of my water cooled 1080 ti a few days back and since then I have had 2 bsod while running realbench 2.56. Something which never happened before. Been running this setup for a few months now with no problems at all.
I just now turned the GPU voltage limiter up from 100 to 110% in afterburner which seems to have solved the bluescreen problem but I'm not really sure why.
Having removed the GPU from the water loop I have a temporary soft section and I seem to get more restriction now as the coolant can't take the easier route through the GPU waterblock and must pass through the CPU block.
The block is very old and I'm wondering if I should bin it and get a new one? The pump really struggles to turn the flow wheel now and I'm wondering if the early EK blocks were any good?.
I was testing to see if I need to water cool the GPU and I don't think I will bother at this stage as the frames in BFV are plentiful.
Any suggestions appreciated as always :)
Original loop and temporary loop pics
View attachment 2466687 View attachment 2466688 View attachment 2466689
Hi,
That 90 degree fitting off your pump now might be killing flow ?
But I see a lot of 90's 7 to be exact hard 90's aren't great for flow.

3080 is a big jump from 1080ti drive wise but nothing to do with cpu temps obviously.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Something is wrong with your loop. Are you sure that your CPU block or radiators aren't dirty and clog up? That hwinfo screen shot doing Realbench are really high temperatures for only CPU in loop. For comparison, my 10900k which is at the moment on test bench cooled with Corsair h115i platinum, are much cooler even on 5.3 cpu and 5GHz cache. You can say that EKWB is not greatest water cooling blocks/radiators but for sure they are better than one AIO.

I think that @Placekicker19 is maybe is right about your pump, especially as your flow has dropped when you have increased speed.

View attachment 2466700

View attachment 2466701

And Blender 5.3/5.0
View attachment 2466704

View attachment 2466702

View attachment 2466703

And Blender 5.2/4.9
View attachment 2466705
Thats a nice chip you got there. It took me delidding with direct die cooling to be able to run 5.3ghz daily stable. The chip took 1.390 bios, -50% vdroop, just to pass cinebench @ 5.3ghz without error and temps hit 90c before delidding. After delid, 2 hour realbench is stable with temps in 60s using 1.325v bios set. Im on a custom watercooling with a 480mm rad dedicated to cpu only.

I can run cinebench at 5.5ghz temps in 70s. I bet your chip would easily do 5.6 delidded and direct die. I bought 2 9900k and both were duds, then bought a 9900ks. I bought 2 10900ks and one couldnt even do 5.3ghz without error. My luck with the silicon lottery hasnt been great while my brother who only runs a aio gets golden cpus everytime. Its funny how that works.

When really pushing these chips I wonder whats more harmful, temps, or amps. If I can keep my temps in the 70s I wonder how dangerous it is running high amp power draws?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
How old is the pump and what brand is it. Youtuber "der8auer" had a recent youtube video and he mentioned how his girls 9900k's system d5 pump has died and had to be replaced like 5xs. He was using pastel fluid so maybe it had something to do with that, but furthermore i would for sure check the pump. What bsod did you get? You could always run realbench testing cpu only to rule the cpu out.

View attachment 2466700

View attachment 2466701

And Blender 5.3/5.0

View attachment 2466704

View attachment 2466702

View attachment 2466703

And Blender 5.2/4.9

View attachment 2466705
Hi,
That 90 degree fitting off your pump now might be killing flow ?
But I see a lot of 90's 7 to be exact hard 90's aren't great for flow.

3080 is a big jump from 1080ti drive wise but nothing to do with cpu temps obviously.
It was flowing well with the same number of 90° fittings before according to the flow wheel so I don't think that's an issue.
I think the pump is OK. It's not very old and it only started going slow straight after I removed the GPU. The coolant only gets to about 31°c max.
I'm almost certain that the CPU waterblock is either clogged or just a very old design that was never intended for these CPUs.
I think I bought it used about 10 years ago so it was never designed for 10 cores 20 threads @ 5.2GHz :)
I actually think it's causing an airlock in the top rad because the flow isn't purging the air.
I'll replace the block over the weekend and report back :)
Cheers (y)

·
Not New to Overclock.net
4,004 Posts
How old is the pump and what brand is it. Youtuber "der8auer" had a recent youtube video and he mentioned how his girls 9900k's system d5 pump has died and had to be replaced like 5xs. He was using pastel fluid so maybe it had something to do with that, but furthermore i would for sure check the pump. What bsod did you get? You could always run realbench testing cpu only to rule the cpu out.
it was his ddc not d5.
but @owikh84 d5 pump just died.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thats a nice chip you got there. It took me delidding with direct die cooling to be able to run 5.3ghz daily stable. The chip took 1.390 bios, -50% vdroop, just to pass cinebench @ 5.3ghz without error and temps hit 90c before delidding. After delid, 2 hour realbench is stable with temps in 60s using 1.325v bios set. Im on a custom watercooling with a 480mm rad dedicated to cpu only.

I can run cinebench at 5.5ghz temps in 70s. I bet your chip would easily do 5.6 delidded and direct die. I bought 2 9900k and both were duds, then bought a 9900ks. I bought 2 10900ks and one couldnt even do 5.3ghz without error. My luck with the silicon lottery hasnt been great while my brother who only runs a aio gets golden cpus everytime. Its funny how that works.

When really pushing these chips I wonder whats more harmful, temps, or amps. If I can keep my temps in the 70s I wonder how dangerous it is running high amp power draws?
I think that this is first time that I've won silicon lottery. With 9900k/ks I had 4 of them and second one was ok running 5/4.7 @1.18v load, but this 10900k is much better. Especially as that 9900k was getting really hot when I was running 5.1 and it was not worth additional heat for just 100MHz.

I do not have any intention to delid this CPU as it is running really well under AIO and it should be much better under loop. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to swap it with 9900k which is under custom loop and then see what this CPU can do. That 5.3/5.0 I was running with BIOS [email protected] and 5.2/4.9 was running in BIOS [email protected] And some quick test on 5/4.7 I was running below 1.1v load and I think it can even lower.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
It was flowing well with the same number of 90° fittings before according to the flow wheel so I don't think that's an issue.
I think the pump is OK. It's not very old and it only started going slow straight after I removed the GPU. The coolant only gets to about 31°c max.
I'm almost certain that the CPU waterblock is either clogged or just a very old design that was never intended for these CPUs.
I think I bought it used about 10 years ago so it was never designed for 10 cores 20 threads @ 5.2GHz :)
I actually think it's causing an airlock in the top rad because the flow isn't purging the air.
I'll replace the block over the weekend and report back :)
Cheers (y)
Hi,
Yeah the only difference is the 90 off the pump outlet :/

·
Not New to Overclock.net
4,004 Posts
@shamino1978

ok i tested the octvb insanely for gaming all core. bro. u da genius in ocing.

aslong a person has a decent 10900k with rog mobo. ocing now easy

its just insane easy

test your cooling with prime small fft see how far u can use syn all core 53 and below
leave everything auto.

test at stock to get your ram stable

now
octvb
set a higher cpu clock +1 to +2 on sync all core
octv set all one by one either
for +2 higher core clock
temp A 70, offset 2temp B auto
or
Temp A 70, offset 1 temp B 80
for +1 higher core cmock
temp A 70, offset 1 temp B auto

game.

then bump cache to a level where minecraft, ghostrunner shows no whea error in hwinfo

done.

idle 0.79w , 1amp
gaming full +2 -+1 higher.. it not package temp and only that cpu cores etc.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
I need a new decoder ring :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
it was his ddc not d5.
but @owikh84 d5 pump just died.
[/QUO
I think that this is first time that I've won silicon lottery. With 9900k/ks I had 4 of them and second one was ok running 5/4.7 @1.18v load, but this 10900k is much better. Especially as that 9900k was getting really hot when I was running 5.1 and it was not worth additional heat for just 100MHz.

I do not have any intention to delid this CPU as it is running really well under AIO and it should be much better under loop. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to swap it with 9900k which is under custom loop and then see what this CPU can do. That 5.3/5.0 I was running with BIOS [email protected] and 5.2/4.9 was running in BIOS [email protected] And some quick test on 5/4.7 I was running below 1.1v load and I think it can even lower.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
lol that quote went nowhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
lol that quote went nowhere.
Lol i dont know what happend , it put my message in the original quote.

Yeah that's a awesome chip, when did you buy it? I would love to get my hands on one of those Golden sample ones like Linus got. My 9900ks took 1.305 bios to do 5.2ghz/4.8 cache, 5.3 took about 1.38v. Atleast my 10900k is bit better taking 1.325 and the memory controller and cache are loads better, capable of 4800mhz and 5.2ghz. I still need to upgrade my gpu, I'm on the ancient 1080ti. It feels bad when the consoles have more gpu power than your pc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I discovered something odd. With 5.3ghz, 5 cache, cinebench r15 requires more voltage than r20 to pass without error. R20 takes 1.275 but R15 needs 1.295. 1.325 passed 2 hours of realbench. When going up to 5.4ghz, 5.1 cache its the opposite, R15 takes 1.355 and R20 takes 1.365 to pass without error. I always though R20 was more demanding and required more voltage to pass than R15, thats why i find it strange @ 5.3ghz, and only 5.3ghz R15 requires more voltage than R20. 5.4, 5.2, 5.1 require more voltage for R20.

Would a powerdraw of 310 watts @ 1.385v be safe for daily usage. Actual die voltage is like 1.33.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi dr.Rafi
I see what you are saying but I never had any overheating problems before and I think the extra flow actually helped bleed all the air from the top of system really well
I'm probably more interested in the reasons for the blue screens and whether I need to get a new waterblock tomorrow because it's black Friday :)
I have turned the pump up from 45% to 80% and flow is slower than before
Blue screen can be related to not a stable overclock both before and after, but 3080 is loading the system further far more than than 1080ti ,i I always noticed across many years of overclocking , overclocking graphic card to max then overclock the cpu will give me less overclock headroom on cpu, and viseverca so consider adding 3080 instead of 1080ti like you overclocked your graphic much higher, the motherboard pcb have limits of what current and data they can deliver across components and now you have new graphic card which is double the sopeed of 1080ti, try to bench your cpu with very cpu bounded test , like zip encoding or prime 95 and compare, and also disable your graphic card drivers and do the same tests again and check if you will get the BSOD again.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Blue screen can be related to not a stable overclock both before and after, but 3080 is loading the system further far more than than 1080ti ,i I always noticed across many years of overclocking , overclocking graphic card to max then overclock the cpu will give me less overclock headroom on cpu, and viseverca so consider adding 3080 instead of 1080ti like you overclocked your graphic much higher, the motherboard pcb have limits of what current and data they can deliver across components and now you have new graphic card which is double the sopeed of 1080ti, try to bench your cpu with very cpu bounded test , like zip encoding or prime 95 and compare, and also disable your graphic card drivers and do the same tests again and check if you will get the BSOD again.
Cheers for the info (y)

Which of these waterblocks will be the best for my 10900k to get good flow and cooling? Water Cooling>Blocks
Not too concerned about RGB but I like to see if there are any bubbles
1.0NZD = 0.70USD

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lol i dont know what happend , it put my message in the original quote.

Yeah that's a awesome chip, when did you buy it? I would love to get my hands on one of those Golden sample ones like Linus got. My 9900ks took 1.305 bios to do 5.2ghz/4.8 cache, 5.3 took about 1.38v. Atleast my 10900k is bit better taking 1.325 and the memory controller and cache are loads better, capable of 4800mhz and 5.2ghz. I still need to upgrade my gpu, I'm on the ancient 1080ti. It feels bad when the consoles have more gpu power than your pc.
I bought this chip two weeks ago. This is really good OC but not sure about MC, as at the moment I've 4x8GB on Hero XII which is not good combination for OC. At the moment I'm running 4x8GB at 4000C16. Will see later on to get some 2x16GB to see how much more I can get, but on Hero XII should not expected anything comparable to Apex.

Cheers for the info (y)

Which of these waterblocks will be the best for my 10900k to get good flow and cooling? Water Cooling>Blocks
Not too concerned about RGB but I like to see if there are any bubbles
1.0NZD = 0.70USD
I was running EKWB Supremacy MX on my 9900ks then I've upgraded to Quantum Velocity. Not sure about difference in flow, but cooling difference was just 2-3C. I think that all of them are similar unless you push your chip to real high wattage then maybe more expensive is better. But question is do you want best buy of best what you can buy for money. From that link I would suggest Quantum Velocity, but if you want best then Magnitude, but again it is question how much it will be better than Quantum.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I was running EKWB Supremacy MX on my 9900ks then I've upgraded to Quantum Velocity. Not sure about difference in flow, but cooling difference was just 2-3C. I think that all of them are similar unless you push your chip to real high wattage then maybe more expensive is better. But question is do you want best buy of best what you can buy for money. From that link I would suggest Quantum Velocity, but if you want best then Magnitude, but again it is question how much it will be better than Quantum.
I bought the Quantum Velocity for about $200 less than the Magnitude. For ~2% difference in cooling I don't see the point. I could just increase the pump flow to compensate :p

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought the Quantum Velocity for about $200 less than the Magnitude. For ~2% difference in cooling I don't see the point. I could just increase the pump flow to compensate :p
I agree with you, I would do the same thing. Good look with new block.

3261 - 3280 of 3521 Posts