Overclock.net banner

3681 - 3700 of 3752 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Can you pass r15 without cpu cache errors @ 5.3ghz on ur current 10900kf, if so how much voltage does it take? I have tested 2 newer 10900ks and they were both terrible. One couldn't pass r15 @ 5.2ghz without errors with 1.4vs (1.36 actual). The other cpu was barely any better. It seems like its alot harder now to get a decent bin.
Yeah I can around 1.48v VCC Sense (1.43-1.44v actual) for 5.3Ghz. Temps in the mid 90's tho.. can't even touch Prime95 or it'll throttle over 105c. I tested it with realbench and some gaming and it doesn't WHEA error or crash but temps are so high I can't run it 24/7 so that's why I'm going direct die. Even 5.2 @ 1.41v (actual 1.35-1.36v) is pushing it a lot with AVX Prime going to 95-98c and some games pushing well over 70c which I don't like as it's winter and ambient in the summer can get way way higher even with my A/C.

That whole socket sense we talked about is nice but there's a reason it stayed cooler, it also is impossible to stabilize for some reason. I have been having so many weird crashes and BSOD's even that I gave up on it and went back to VCC Sense cause at least there I can trust that it's solid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I can around 1.48v VCC Sense (1.43-1.44v actual) for 5.3Ghz. Temps in the mid 90's tho.. can't even touch Prime95 or it'll throttle over 105c. I tested it with realbench and some gaming and it doesn't WHEA error or crash but temps are so high I can't run it 24/7 so that's why I'm going direct die. Even 5.2 @ 1.41v (actual 1.35-1.36v) is pushing it a lot with AVX Prime going to 95-98c and some games pushing well over 70c which I don't like as it's winter and ambient in the summer can get way way higher even with my A/C.

That whole socket sense we talked about is nice but there's a reason it stayed cooler, it also is impossible to stabilize for some reason. I have been having so many weird crashes and BSOD's even that I gave up on it and went back to VCC Sense cause at least there I can trust that it's solid.
Once temps get over 80 the chip requires alot more vcore to get stable. Before my delid i needed 1.325 volts to pass realbench @ 5.2ghz, now i can I pass realbench @ 5.3ghz with same voltage, and I see good scaling to 5.4ghz since temps remain below 70. My chip was really hot, some chips have inferior soldering. If you get those temps down you will see a great improvement. Make sure you get some thru bolts to mount your waterblock, that way the block makes proper contact with the die. The ek standoffs were to high for me.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Once temps get over 80 the chip requires alot more vcore to get stable. Before my delid i needed 1.325 volts to pass realbench @ 5.2ghz, now i can I pass realbench @ 5.3ghz with same voltage, and I see good scaling to 5.4ghz since temps remain below 70. My chip was really hot, some chips have inferior soldering. If you get those temps down you will see a great improvement. Make sure you get some thru bolts to mount your waterblock, that way the block makes proper contact with the die. The ek standoffs were to high for me.
My standoffs are already ground down for direct die with stronger springs under the screws. I used to have this block on a direct die 7700K before. So, as long as the die isn't much lower then a 7700K die I should be fine.

Package is going to take long to get here, we're kinda snowed in lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My standoffs are already ground down for direct die with stronger springs under the screws. I used to have this block on a direct d7 ie 7700K before. So, as long as the die isn't much lower then a 7700K die I should be fine.

Package is going to take long to get here, we're kinda snowed in lol.
Yeah my EK standoffs worked fine with the 9900k direct die but since the 10900k die isn't as thick they were just a tad to high.

Yeah my last rockit cool order took a while to get.

Microcenter has the 10900kf for 399.99, awesome price, to bad its in store only.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
If I buy a second CPU for binning it will be a normal K or K Avengers. Not a F. Too much bad luck with those.

Mates new KF is also horrible. It cannot run 5.1ghz all core under 1.36v which gets way too hot so we're stuck on turbo offsetting all core to 5Ghz 1.27v just to make it run 4.7Ghz cache.

Memory controllers a tank weirdly enough. 4400C17 2x16GB DR B-Die stable at only 1.25v SA 1.20v IO.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Yeah it's just a shame his cores are so bad. Stock VID at 5Ghz was 1.30....

Mines kinda the middle ground. Memory controller handles 4533 DR 2x16GB but only at 1.40v SA 1.35v IO but at least I can do 5.2 all core.

My Delid tool + direct die frame should be here Wednesday according to the tracking code as will my CLU.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I buy a second CPU for binning it will be a normal K or K Avengers. Not a F. Too much bad luck with those.

Mates new KF is also horrible. It cannot run 5.1ghz all core under 1.36v which gets way too hot so we're stuck on turbo offsetting all core to 5Ghz 1.27v just to make it run 4.7Ghz cache.

Memory controllers a tank weirdly enough. 4400C17 2x16GB DR B-Die stable at only 1.25v SA 1.20v IO.
Both cpus I just tested were regular 10900k's and were both terrible. One chip had a lower VID than my current cpu but actually required much higher voltage than what its vid stated to even be stable. My cpu is stable at a much lower voltage than its vid.

Ive tested like 7 10900ks and all have been sp63 quality chips or lower, only 2 could pass r15 @ 5.3ghz before a delid under 1.45vs without errors. Ive never been lucky with cpus, however my brother who uses a aio gets the most golden cpus on his first purchase. My 3770k maxed @ 4.5ghz with 1.45vs, brothers did 5.2ghz with 1.39v, bought both from the same store and same batch #.

I'll pay more for a binned cpu my next upgrade. It wasnt worth the hassle and money binning 9th&10th gen cpus.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
That gives me an idea. I might just order a Silicon Lottery pre-binned chip lol. Or wait for 11900K benches.. choices choices. I am definitely delidding and direct die cooling my KF since it's lapped already. And if I mess up and break it, expensive lesson but I'll just order a new K or KF. They are cheap at the moment and plenty in stock locally.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wouldn't waste the $$ on a pre-binned. They're pretty expensive on their website if I'm not mistaken. My suggestion is to hold out. Ride that 5.2 chip (maybe 5.3 after de-lid) and save that money for Alder Lake, DDR5, and a badass motherboard in 2022.

If there was tangible improvements or you had an actually bum chip (like your friends, lol) then I'd say go for it.. but your chip is decent. I'm at 5.1/4.8 @ 1.27v under load now with 1.195 VCCSA/IO for 4133 17-17-17-32. I thought my chip was garbage because P95 smallFFT was forcing crashes due to the temperatures, but it's not so bad. Realbench, Cinebench loops, and tons of gaming have shown the chip is better than what I thought.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Yeah I saw their prices.. $839 for a 5,1 validated chip.. I'll just get one for like $450 (€400 here) and call it a day if something does go wrong with the Delid.

I'm not scared it will tho. I delidded many CPU's in a vice with a block of wood, a rubber mallet and a cloth and they all survived so a proper tool should make this easy.

The guy I was yesterday did some further testing, it may also be a temperature problem like you said. He's using a push pull ML360R and it does the job but at 1.36v for 5.1 it goes well into the upper 90's in Prime95. It will pass benches just fine we just can't stress test it. It's running just stick OCTVB with a turbo offset of +1 on the 10 core load to do 5.3/5.1/5.0 with 4.7 cache and 4400 memory now on 1.26v all core and it's fine. Mid 80's in stress tests and it's stable at least.

The other guys chip is just bad lol.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I haven't played much with mine because I bought a z590 mobo. Maximus XIII HERO.

I did achieve 5.1ghz all core with 1.3v and LLC 5. Temps around 77°C max on Prime 95.

Not sure if it's good bin or not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like I need to get a different board. The Strix itx vrms can’t power the CPU good enough.
Wish I could find the Apex at MSRP.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Looks like I need to get a different board. The Strix itx vrms can’t power the CPU good enough.
Wish I could find the Apex at MSRP.
among z490 itx, the asus itx has the best vrm thermal performance.
just zip tie a small fan on top of the top vrm heatsink.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What 10900k is better V batch or X batch? I have an unopened V036F907 batch here but I want to know what cpu is best for 5-5.2 ghz? What is your opinion about it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
among z490 itx, the asus itx has the best vrm thermal performance.
just zip tie a small fan on top of the top vrm heatsink.
I believe it’s an issue with total power output. Chip needs more power. I have an Asus Z490-e that I can test the chip on until I get a proper board.

EDIT* Decided to buy a Z490 Maximus Formula it should be here next week.

Did a bit more testing

5.3 Cinebench runs pass @ 1.315 Bios LLC5 1.26 Loaded VCore. Max temps 66C
5.4 Cinebench runs pass @ 1.35 Bios LLC6 1.323 Loaded VCore. Max temps 68C 5.4.JPG

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Aight so, I got the CPU delidded and direct die cooled now with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and the Rockitcool EK mount and EK Phoenix 280 kit which is basically a Supremacy block with a Coolstream SE 280 rad and a DDC pump and QDC's.

Temps basically remained the exact same.

Idle and game load is exactly the same, AVX Prime95 worst-case is maybe 3-4c better but still 92-93c at 5.2/4.9 1.364v VCC Sense.

So I get the feeling either the mount is pretty bad / not enough pressure / not enough CLU (or too much) or the bottleneck isn't the CPU IHS / Die --> Block part but more the loop itself or maybe the block that is not exactly flat anymore (lapped it as good as it's going to be..)

I'll pull it apart again and see if I can get a tighter mount and a new application of CLU. If temps are the same again after 2-3 mounts it's 100% not the bottleneck and I need a better loop / cooler lol.

EDIT: Nevermind, remount fixed it. I had way way too much CLU on it and the direct die frame wasn't tight enough either so the block hit the frame and not just the die making uneven mount.

Fixed it, new CLU on it, now temps are between 84-88c across the cores in AVX Prime95 5.2/4.9 1.364v coming from basically 96-103c.
So yeah, 10-12c difference. Still won't make this chip capable of 5.3Ghz in any way but this at least runs more comfortably on 5.2 also in the summer and such. And my fanspeed doesn't have to be so high lol. And I can use this delid tool on any of my mates chips or maybe even when i decide to get another chip for myself to bin against this one.

Shame it comes with so little quicksilver tho..

Oh and heating up the IHS with a hairdryer on max heat for a minute or two before delidding makes it SO much easier. Both the Indium and the glue is much softer then.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
What 10900k is better V batch or X batch? I have an unopened V036F907 batch here but I want to know what cpu is best for 5-5.2 ghz? What is your opinion about it?
You have to test them both. Best is testing it with an Asus MB to see SP value :) It looks to be pretty random in the same batches, so you need to test them all :D

PS: SP is not all, there is very good SP63 too ;)

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seeing the information of the 11900k it is very possible that I sell my 10900k ihs fullcoper sp80 5.3 all cores avx 0 to 1.38v and look to put a 11900k to the formula z490 !!

I know I won't win much but the important thing for me is the games.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Seeing the information of the 11900k it is very possible that I sell my 10900k ihs fullcoper sp80 5.3 all cores avx 0 to 1.38v and look to put a 11900k to the formula z490 !!

I know I won't win much but the important thing for me is the games.
I will test 11900k, but already we see 10 core is better than 8 core in some games. My best delidded 10900k does 5.5ghz all core in gaming, så 11900k better popping off in games that scales with more than 8 cores....

3681 - 3700 of 3752 Posts