Overclock.net banner
4901 - 4920 of 4920 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
My [email protected],48V 1,31/1,315V io/sa with Slope's works fine.
In my case the best between voltage's/performance and there is also the random stability in every case given.
Over 33° room temp no problem and also reboot stability with gsat works with and without completely de-energized Power supply.

The random stability is the most difficult with higher ram clock.Only in few hw combination's it's really 100% stable.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Anyone bought a new 10900K/KF recently...seems current batches don't oc too good?
Not so convinced. Mine's a Feb 2021. Sample number of 1 though...

• Rep+
Reactions: kill_a_wat

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do you know how the WHEA is reported to windows? Who does this interface? Is the chipset?

EDITED:

I'm asking because I can't explain why, but running chipset version 10.1.18716.8265 I don't have WHEA.

Running 10.1.18807.8279 I have errors at idle even with a vf#8 offset of 102mv

I think the new chipset doesn't like my OCing....

I just suspected about this before, but make no sense... Is it possible?

Now I'm running
Adaptive = 1538mv and VF#8 = 1520mv (1428+offset 92) and zero errors.
All cores are hitting 56x

So the problem is not the BIOS...

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Would a Gigabyte Z490 Master be an actual upgrade over my MSI Z490 Ace? Don't get me wrong, I love my Ace, but I've been having some weird issues with the PC just shutting off for no reason and it kinda has to be the board as everything else like PSU, GPU, LED controllers and full wiring, fans + controllers + wiring, PCI-E cables and such have all been replaced. Also fully reinstalled windows on a clean new 970 Evo M.2 and problem stays so I kinda wanna try a different board and found a Z490 Master on Amazon for €244 new..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Would a Gigabyte Z490 Master be an actual upgrade over my MSI Z490 Ace? Don't get me wrong, I love my Ace, but I've been having some weird issues with the PC just shutting off for no reason and it kinda has to be the board as everything else like PSU, GPU, LED controllers and full wiring, fans + controllers + wiring, PCI-E cables and such have all been replaced. Also fully reinstalled windows on a clean new 970 Evo M.2 and problem stays so I kinda wanna try a different board and found a Z490 Master on Amazon for €244 new..
I'm not an ASUS fanboy, but I really like Maximus series...
Did you consider a Z490 from ASUS?

EDITED:

I'm back with 56x and BIOS 2301 :) LOL

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I'm not an ASUS fanboy, but I really like Maximus series...
Did you consider a Z490 from ASUS?
Of course I did. If they didn't cost €439. The only ASUS that is sort of decent and has a good price is the Z490-E but all the Maxi's are ridiculously overpriced. The Master at €244 seems like a good deal but I despise Gigabyte BIOS (and fan / RGB control for that matter).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Given that you have ruled out the PSU, randomly shutting off sounds like a RAM OC issue to me. Do you still get that happening with RAM at XMP settings? If not, then that rules out the mobo, and you could likely step back up to 4200 or 4266 on memory instead.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That is more a downgrade as an upgrade.The unfiy/ace is one of the best boards after Apex XII and z490 kingpin.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Given that you have ruled out the PSU, randomly shutting off sounds like a RAM OC issue to me. Do you still get that happening with RAM at XMP settings? If not, then that rules out the mobo, and you could likely step back up to 4200 or 4266 on memory instead.
I could try that.. Yeah it's mostly when installing stuff like games or transferring large amounts of data from or to my M.2 drives. And it's totally random. It can be fine for 3-4 days and then suddenly when I wanna install BF1 it just turns off. No errors in event viewer except "previous shutdown was not clean" and it turns off the PSU like it triggers a OCP or short protection. I hear the relay clicking.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I could try that.. Yeah it's mostly when installing stuff like games or transferring large amounts of data from or to my M.2 drives. And it's totally random. It can be fine for 3-4 days and then suddenly when I wanna install BF1 it just turns off. No errors in event viewer except "previous shutdown was not clean" and it turns off the PSU like it triggers a OCP or short protection. I hear the relay clicking.
The relay on my PSU clicks when I have had unstable RAM OCs during "turn off" crashes (experienced that on 4790K and 10600K), though the more common memory OC crash in my experience was a freeze, audio loop for 2 seconds, then PSU relay click and turn off. Alternatively do you have an NVMe drive, and could it be overheating during transfers (though I would expect a freeze rather than a turn off for that)?

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
Misbehaved software could also result in such crashes. For a while, if I would run a benchmark, in particular cinebench, at elevated priority it would crash hard like that - instant shutdown to a black screen with a relay click and with no trace. Turns out it was the Intel XTU software. Didn't even need to be running, I had to uninstall it. I expect it had a driver that was misbehaving. Anyhow, good luck.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I thought it was software so that's why did a full clean install of windows. The crash / power off happens the instant the specific load happens, there's no temp in the M.2 at that point plus they are both (I got 2) heatsinked and even under sustained load they don't go above 75c.

It's probably RAM or too high cache speed for the low vcore I run on 5.1.

I got a CPU Internal Error in HWINFO for the first time in ages while loading GTA V to check out the new DLC and do some races with a bunch of buddies so I dropped my cache to x46 and raised vcore back to 1.270v. I had it on 1.260v and that ran fine for quite a while but..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do you have VT-d enabled in your system?
I read in Asus forum it is necessary for Windows 11...

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
VT-d is not necessary for WIndows 11. All that is necessary, basically, is TPM 2.0, an 8th gen or later Intel processor and graphics that supports DX12. 8th gen and later chipsets have TPM 2.0 built into the Intel CSME ( formerly known as Management Engine) firmware . You just need to enable PTT in the BIOS. TPM does not affect performance.
VT-d can noticibly reduce performance so keep it disabled.

Edit: Oh yeah and you need to enable secure boot in BIOS for Windows 11.

·
Registered
405 Posts
VT-d is not necessary for WIndows 11. All that is necessary, basically, is TPM 2.0, an 8th gen or later Intel processor and graphics that supports DX12. 8th gen and later chipsets have TPM 2.0 built into the Intel CSME ( formerly known as Management Engine) firmware . You just need to enable PTT in the BIOS. TPM does not affect performance.
VT-d can noticibly reduce performance so keep it disabled.

Edit: Oh yeah and you need to enable secure boot in BIOS for Windows 11.
Finally, I found out what is causing instabilities...
It was this F**** VT-d.
Running VT-d I need at least +10mv for stabilizes my overclock.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Finally, I found out what is causing instabilities...
It was this F**** VT-d.
Running VT-d I need at least +10mv for stabilizes my overclock.
How do you know what stable is? You change your settings every few days.

·
Registered
405 Posts
How do you know what stable is? You change your settings every few days.
LOL.... Its a good question !!!!

But I run this "stable" configuration for over 2 months without any errors, so I consider it stable.

I'm always changing something to try to learn about new bios config, etc... And have a BIOS and a Macrium bck with drivers that are stable...

Every time I make changes and start to get errors, I roll back to that macrium bck and load that stable BIOS setting...

But I made a mistake saving VT-d over the stable saved BIOS settings, and every time I reload it, VT-d was enabled.

The major problem was I tried to change every thing trying to solve the instability... Drivers from older BCKs, chipsets, Audio drivers, AHCI, but didn't realize about VT-d.

Yesterday I restore a Macrium BCK and a BIOS setting from April, and found out VT-d disable.

Now I'm running Adaptive 1533 for 24hs without WHEA ,so far...

With VT-d enabled and adaptive 1533 I have WHEA in few minutes...

Now I'll run some days with these configurations, keeping the PC on all the time... and after that, start to update drivers one by one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all!
I'm a newcomer with a 10900K chip. I'm used to overclock the old X58 platform (with Xeon) and recently upgraded. I thought this new system would be easier, XMP, default settings and good to go! Well it's not LOL!

I've been reading all this forum and try to get acquainted with this platform.

So my gear:
10900K - SP63
NOX cooler 360
ASUS Z590 ROG Gaming
Gskill 3600 1.35v
RTX 3070
PSU Corsair 850W
M.2 , SSd , HDD etc.

Just plugged in stock settings and temperatures were to high for me , 80's 😱. Check Vcore and is about 1.34v under load. Too much. I'm used in the X58 to use offset voltage so I can get low volts under idle and when pushing they'll go up as they should. So I start searching for a similar thing. Well there's a offset setting in bios and got it to - 0.150 and run everything good. I got me around 1.2 or 1.21v under load and temps around 75 when stress testing (cinebench R23 and Realbench) and 60 while playing, say Warzone... all this @ stock settings 4.9Ghz load and 5.3, 5.1 etc ... 28°C ambient.
Now there's another setting, adaptive but I don't seem to understand it... and also VID voltage for CPU , I that's the voltage the CPU for a pre determined frequency but I got my values @1.4...1.5 max sometimes! In HWinfo

Can someone enlighten me??
I got lot of answers just by reading a lot from you guys in forum as you are really helpful 😁

Regards, RicK

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another topic regarding WHEAs, has you all getting in Ghostrunner and Metro Exodus EE, Ictried them also and just got in Gjostrunner. None in Metro. Giving a bump e Vcore and I think it solved it.VCCIO and VCCSA were both 1.3 and 1.4 in auto, I think its too much so I put them @ 1.0v and 1.1v. Think it's ok since I not used to this settings. I used what i've been reading in the forum.
RicK

4901 - 4920 of 4920 Posts