Overclock.net banner
3741 - 3760 of 3879 Posts

·
Registered
10700K/XII Apex/2x16 3200C14 G.Skill Bdie/RTX 2080
248 Posts
but why does the apex board cost that much with lower spec than the competition.
I don’t think you understand that layer count doesn’t mean anything for a boards quality. The oc formula I know people have tested on cometlake can’t boot dual rank bdie over 4266 atm. High layer count right?

·
Registered
400 Posts
noob question, how do you measure noise and quality?
second noob question, has any testing been done for higher layer pcb in mobo and ram vs lower?
Jitter/Noise are simulated first by R&D, then they use wide bandwidth oscilloscopes to measure signal quality on sample PCBs. it is common knowledge that seperated traces and more layers improve signal quality.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don’t think you understand that layer count doesn’t mean anything for a boards quality.
by stating something like that you are just showing off that you are clueless about eletronics engineering.

The oc formula I know people have tested on cometlake can’t boot dual rank bdie over 4266 atm. High layer count right?
That ist verly likely Bios related, this board is still undergoing bios optimization, and Nick takes care of RKL first.

an Asus M12E with 8-layer PCB is the only 4 Dimm Slot Board that i have seen that can do more than 3866 in Gear1 with SR B-Dies at least.

So giving the Apex a lower layer count just improves profitability for Asus, they decided that giving only 2 Dimm Slots + short traces to socket and some Shamino Bios Magic should do for a 580$ motherboard.

When Z790 comes up with maybe all Slots PCIe 5.0 8 Layer PCB will most likely be a requirement anyways.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,745 ·
but why does the apex board cost that much with lower spec than the competition.
But why does apex boards perform the best on air/water for most people ;)

"Theory" spec doesn't make something :p

Like Gigabutt MB's; "Best VRM" bla bla bla... Perform like #$%#* 😅

There was one really good Gigabyte MB ever produced; X58 OC-A.

·
Registered
248 Posts
by stating something like that you are just showing off that you are clueless about eletronics engineering.

That ist verly likely Bios related, this board is still undergoing bios optimization, and Nick takes care of RKL first.

an Asus M12E with 8-layer PCB is the only 4 Dimm Slot Board that i have seen that can do more than 3866 in Gear1 with SR B-Dies at least.

So giving the Apex a lower layer count just improves profitability for Asus, they decided that giving only 2 Dimm Slots + short traces to socket and some Shamino Bios Magic should do for a 580$ motherboard.

When Z790 comes up with maybe all Slots PCIe 5.0 8 Layer PCB will most likely be a requirement anyways.
If you want high layer counts for cheap buy an itx board :). I am not disputing that a higher layer count is better in theory however obviously Asus has found it not necessary to use more than 6 layers. Top end two dimmer atx/eatx boards come down to bios quality, Asus has a strong following and gained lots of trust so they don’t need to market higher layout counts for market. If anything you are clueless about marketing and haven’t touched a z490 asrock boards (they sucked).

·
Registered
56 Posts
if a company made a high layer count pcb with the best components on the market ( no compromises ) and a well optimized bios with it , it will outperform asus apex any day of the week. the only advantage apex has is that the bios is a bit ahead than the competition. but that doesn't justify the price. yes 12 layers wont do anything if the bios isnt optimized, but if it has an optimized bios, it will outperform a 6 layer board with an optimized bios.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,748 · (Edited)
if a company made a high layer count pcb with the best components on the market ( no compromises ) and a well optimized bios with it , it will outperform asus apex any day of the week. the only advantage apex has is that the bios is a bit ahead than the competition. but that doesn't justify the price. yes 12 layers wont do anything if the bios isnt optimized, but if it has an optimized bios, it will outperform a 6 layer board with an optimized bios.
Then you can believe that 🎅
Tell that to shamino1978 and safedisk :)

"There is no if in the world. Either there is or it isn't"

·
Registered
248 Posts
All I see is if, asrock did make a high layer count board but they can’t make good bios. Apex bios is far superior to asrock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jitter/Noise are simulated first by R&D, then they use wide bandwidth oscilloscopes to measure signal quality on sample PCBs. it is common knowledge that separated traces and more layers improve signal quality.
ah so this isnt something the end-user can measure? thats a shame
buildzoid mentions on one video (i can try dig it up if you wish) that msi used a funky pattern to prevent noise & block signal loss on one mobo, on the traces it looks like little L shape patterns
afik the board does nothing special for ram oc

·
Registered
8 Posts
had that before on m13e.. wasnt the board. happens only during boot

rebuild your boot partition.
that solves it.

bad ram oc corrupts it on normal efi windows..
doesnt happen to ghost spectre.

guide using bcdboot
Ironic, I am using ghost spectre.
My issue only happens in windows. never in the bios. I actually did back down on the memory OC, due to instabilityafter 2 hours of gaming.
None the less, the USB issue happens at ANY time. And when everything is stock/default.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
5,008 Posts
Ironic, I am using ghost spectre.
My issue only happens in windows. never in the bios. I actually did back down on the memory OC, due to instabilityafter 2 hours of gaming.
None the less, the USB issue happens at ANY time. And when everything is stock/default.
odd.. didnt happen to me on ghost spectre...

but i know the fix was when i rebuild the boot. no idea why..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Guys I think I have the lowest SP rating in history: 50. On my 11900k.

I've seen some people say V/F curve is more important for chip quality. What am I looking for in that?

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
I am running a 11900K + Asus APEX XIII I am trying to find out what my preferred cores are,in bios, for example I have a * marked for cores 3 and 4 in the specific core menu in bios.
Is this telling me cores 3 and 4 are preferred, or is the preferred cores specified in another section of bios.

Thank you in advanced

3741 - 3760 of 3879 Posts