Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Coppers, running in SLI. They are awesome. I'm cooling them with x2 480mm radiators. So temperatures are never an issue with either the processor or graphics cards. At 100% load at 1468mhz they never really went past 46c. Sound is also likewise never really an issue. I feel that temps will never hold me back, so the issues are properly configuring the cards.

The cards are already pre-overclocked a bit, from my understanding. The Hydro Coppers come as:
1140 MHz Base Clock
1228 MHz Boost Clock

It seems the memory is the same:
7010 MHz (effective)

So I am trying to get to as close to 1500MHz for the core clock as possible, and hopefully about 8000MHz for the effective memory.
Right now I can't figure out how much voltage to give it using MSI Afterburner. If anything it seems like simply using more voltage decreases the amount of time it lasts in stress tests from FurMark.
I run the stress tests at my monitor resolution, 3440x1440.
From what I've seen I get better benchmarks with less voltage. But that makes me wonder how all the overclocks other users use involve the max + offset voltage using MSI Afterburner.

Any suggestions?
EDIT: Something I don't get. If the Boost Clock is 1228, how come simply adding +112MHz using MSI brings it to 1482MHz in all the monitoring software.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiJustin View Post

Any suggestions?
EDIT: Something I don't get. If the Boost Clock is 1228, how come simply adding +112MHz using MSI brings it to 1482MHz in all the monitoring software.
Marketed Boost Clocks are usually conservative. Out the box my 970 G1 has a stated boost of 1329MHz but boosts up to 1354Mhz.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, kind of like how all overclocks are "your milage may vary". The states boost is a close guess?
If so guess this means my boost clocks are higher than normal, which is good
thumb.gif

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiJustin View Post

Ah, kind of like how all overclocks are "your milage may vary". The states boost is a close guess?
If so guess this means my boost clocks are higher than normal, which is good
thumb.gif
I just slide my voltage all the way over in MSI AB along with power limit. I am at 1540 core 24/7, once I found my stable OC, I made custom BIOS so it never downclocks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I swear I've gotten through benchmarks with no volt increase more often than with the volt increase maxed

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so according to GPU-Z my Performance cap reasoning is VRel, which is "limited by reliability voltage". It says this regardless if I go from +0mV all the way to like the max 89mV. In addition, after passing like +50mV, it also adds an additional message, which is "Limited by maximum voltage". So giving it the max just makes it worse... why is this?

Is there a way around this? I am sitting at like 1468MHz, and I want to go further. my temps at maximum load are only like 45-49c. It's super duper quiet since it's all under water

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno what happened but something went wrong. I followed the bios modding to the letter, but on reboot a black screen.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't get it. I literally followed these steps to the letter ==== http://www.overclock.net/t/1513920/official-nvidia-gtx-980-owners-club

Even if something went wrong, all I have to do is flash them back to the good BIOS right? I made like 3 backups of each.
I'm currently displaying windows using a spare GPU, and I managed to get the 2nd GPU in my SLI setup plugged into slot 3, where its being detected by GPU-Z. I just flashed it back to the original BIOS. Can I get it so that it displays from the second GPU despite it being in slot 3?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try "nvflash --list" to get the index numbers for the cards. Then try flashing the stock bios back to both cards with "nvflash -6 -iX Y.rom" where X is the index number of the card and Y your stock bios.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRWolf46 View Post

Try "nvflash --list" to get the index numbers for the cards. Then try flashing the stock bios back to both cards with "nvflash -6 -iX Y.rom" where X is the index number of the card and Y your stock bios.
I'll try that sometime tomorrow. I'm totally fatigued. I'll have to drain my water loop in order to move the graphics cards to slots 2 and 4.
But it doesn't sound like a brick does it? I mean, I literally just flashed the BIOS to one of the provided bios on the first post of the 980 Ti Owners Club thread. All it did was increase the power limit to 125. Although I did not have MSI Afterburner set to use overclocks on startup, so its not like they would boot up in OC mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its always safer to take your own bios and uses maxwell bios tweaker to change its values to match the one you downloaded.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't aware. But as long as I can flash them back I should be good? I don't want to have to send it in for repair/RMA, etc to amazon or EVGA

·
Registered
257 Posts
Shutdown pc remove the PSU power cable
Remove both 8pin cable from GPU
Press power button in the rig to discharge the PSU and the rest of power in the circuit board
Wait about a minute ( two minutes recommended )
Plug back the PSU power cable
Do not plug back the two power cable to GPU.
Turn on PC boot into UEFI or Bios and enable IGPU ( GPU integrated in the CPU ) if you don't have extra GPU to put in the first slot exit and save
Boot into windows and wait just a bit to drivers load
Open GPU-Z you will see the GPU there but you cannot use it yet because it is only powered by PCI-E only
Open nvflash and flash back to working bios or vBios and have fun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice. I managed somehow to get it to work. The fact my setup is in a custom loop made it a pain in the ass.
I'm going to take a short break for a moment.. but Idk if I'm done yet.
I don't see why I had this issue in the first place~~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts