Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new to Overclocking.net and I have a few questions for this community. I have been all over other forums and review sites reading about parts and prices and I have settled on an x2 3800+ because it seems to be the best bang for the buck. What I am curious of is this, what RAM would you guys recomend for this processor? I am getting the ASUS a8n-Premium SLI for this new rig and a 7800GT. I have looked at different RAM sets and I am a little over my limits. I don't know much about RAM timmings and the overclock settings of these new processors. I was rather successful with the Athlon XP 2500+ 3 years ago, so I'm here to learn how to get the most out of my soon-to-be new chip much like I learned about the old one. If you guys could, please leave recomendations of RAM and some FAQs or documentation to teach me about RAM timmings and overclocking this chip on the a8n.

If you need more info about other parts I am getting, feel free to ask. I'm still getting a shopping list together for this new rig so nothing is set in stone. I'm trying to stay in a $1500 budget and I need almost an entirely new system. Recomendations there would help too. (PSU's, HD's, Case) I have picked my MoBo, CPU, HSF and I am keeping my 120gb PATA Maxtor and my NEC DVD-burner, which are the two newest components in the old box. Also, I think the XFV GeForce 7800GT (Factory OC) is a good and much cheaper bet than an ATI 1900XT. Also, I will be able to use SLI when I can afford an extra card later on, giving me 512mb and 2 VPUs running around 450mhz each. I'm not going to use the PATA drive for running apps, I picked a Raptor 10k RPM for that and am using the 120gb for storage.

If you guys could offer this guy some help, that wopuld be kickin' rad.

If not, ignore my newbie arse entirely.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabb1920

Welcome to the site, please fill in your profile it will help us to help you.

Is that better? I didn't fill much out before because I don't have the components to list. Eveything is still up in the air. I can't really make buying decisions until I get this rig together on paper and make sure it will all work the way I want and expect it too. The parts in my sig are some things I own (like monitor, mouse/keyboard, no sound card 'cause the nforce4 does a good enough job for me) and the rest are tentative because I am technically new to the market. It's been 3 years since I built a computer, so I am a little behind, hence why I am here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beserkjay

For RAM i would say either some GSkill or OCZ TCCD. You could also go with some BH-5, depending on how you want your overclock.

7800gt is a grear card. I love mine

To clarify, I want to be able to overclock it to the 2.5ghz - 2.6ghz I keep reading about. Also, I want to make sure it will be stable 24/7.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoserOfAllTrades

To clarify, I want to be able to overclock it to the 2.5ghz - 2.6ghz I keep reading about. Also, I want to make sure it will be stable 24/7.

Well some good BH-5 will get ya that (250x10 or 260x10)with tight timings, but need a lot of voltage to get ya there...

TCCD wont even break a sweat at those speeds

Both should be fine for everyday use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beserkjay

Well some good BH-5 will get ya that (250x10 or 260x10)with tight timings, but need a lot of voltage to get ya there...

TCCD wont even break a sweat at those speeds

Both should be fine for everyday use.

Your saying "tight timmings" to me is like someone saying Moo to a duck. I don't understand these things yet. TCCD? Huh? Can you link me to some products and tutorials about RAM timmings? Sorry if it seems like I want you to hold my hand, but A lot of this is very new and very different from what I am familiar with.

I do appreciate the responses too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically, the point I am at now is deciding on what RAM to get to compliment this attempted overclock as well as a case that will be able to hold eveything in without being too huge or heavy. A side window is a plus.

Can anyone post a how-to about ram timmings as well? I have no idea what those numbers mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts