Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
biggrin.gif

I have an old lapped amd 1055t that is missing a pin. I have three questions.

1) can I use an unlapped hsf without experiencing adverse effects?
2) the cpu has had a tough life and ended up with many bent pins and one broken pin. I ended up fixing the bent pin and the cpu boots up fine to windows. Should I overclock it? Would like to hit 3.4-3.8ghz if possible.
3) I have a motherboard with a 4+1 power phase. Would it be able to handle a decent overclock on this phenom x6 (it's a msi 970a-g46)

I appreciate all help
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post

hi all
biggrin.gif

I have an old lapped amd 1055t that is missing a pin. I have three questions.

1) can I use an unlapped hsf without experiencing adverse effects?
2) the cpu has had a tough life and ended up with many bent pins and one broken pin. I ended up fixing the bent pin and the cpu boots up fine to windows. Should I overclock it? Would like to hit 3.4-3.8ghz if possible.
3) I have a motherboard with a 4+1 power phase. Would it be able to handle a decent overclock on this phenom x6 (it's a msi 970a-g46)

I appreciate all help
thumb.gif
1. If the base is smooth enough and you apply TIM properly, that's not really an issue. I only lap my HSF if it's very rough on the base.

2. If it works fine, then there's no reason not to try overclocking it.

3. But for the love of God, NOT on a 970A-G46. Overclocking a Thuban on that board is asking for a fireworks display! It's rated for CPU's with a 125W TDP, but has well-documented problems even with that. Once you overclock a 1055T at all, you're going past 125W and into serious danger zone on that board. Don't do it.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

3. But for the love of God, NOT on a 970A-G46. Overclocking a Thuban on that board is asking for a fireworks display! It's rated for CPU's with a 125W TDP, but has well-documented problems even with that. Once you overclock a 1055T at all, you're going past 125W and into serious danger zone on that board. Don't do it.
I agree, it would be asking to see some sparks and smoke!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

1. If the base is smooth enough and you apply TIM properly, that's not really an issue. I only lap my HSF if it's very rough on the base.

2. If it works fine, then there's no reason not to try overclocking it.

+1

Totally agree with the no overclocking on 970A-G46. I had this board and it was absolutely useless trying to OC my 6300, couldn't even break 4Ghz without the VRM's over heating and throttling. It is a nice feature packed board for a great price but the VRM's/VRM cooling is just plain abysmal.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help
biggrin.gif
! What if I were to keep the amd 1055t at stock? Could the 4+1 power handle it without losing stability?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts