Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some knowledge on overclocking but it isn't very extensive. Currently I have my I7 990x overclocked to 4.35ghz because my G1 Assassin has the auto overclocking feature. I really want to learn what everything means and what I have to change to achieve different or higher clocks. I'm currently cooling my CPU with a noctua NH-D14. I was hoping that the people on OCN can guide me to get a higher clocks on my CPU
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
While i don't have the same motherboard, I do have an understanding of the OCing with my similar i7 980X. What Baseclock (BCLK) are you running, What Ram speed are you using and what voltages are you using?

The most important voltages are:

Vcore
Ram voltage
VTT (QPI link...)
PLL

and what are your settings for:
CPU Multiplier
QPI Freq
Uncore Feq

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

While i don't have the same motherboard, I do have an understanding of the OCing with my similar i7 980X. What Baseclock (BCLK) are you running, What Ram speed are you using and what voltages are you using?
The most important voltages are:
Vcore
Ram voltage
VTT (QPI link...)
PLL
and what are your settings for:
CPU Multiplier
QPI Freq
Uncore Feq
cpu multiplier x27
QPI Frequency 5.76 ghz
Uncore Frequency 3200mhz

These are the number that you asked me to provide and please bare in mind this was just a 1 touch overclock

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy0022 View Post

It says in bios CPU Vcore 1.28125 but in CPU-Z it's telling me 1.376, so please make of it as you will.
What about in the hardware monitor section of your bios, what does it report for your voltages?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

What about in the hardware monitor section of your bios, what does it report for your voltages?
Currently I'm trying a 4.49ghz overclock that someone from this site gave me I believe his name is sin0822; quite a reliable source. At the moment the cpu is idling at 49-50 degree's, x31 multiplier, QPI frequency 5.2ghz uncore frequency 2175mhz. The Core Voltage on this is 1.408 volts. I want to use this for 24/7 use. It seems to be very stable with my noctua NH-D14 cooling it but it doesn't like the stress tests after awhile because the temperatures get extremely high in the 90's when holding at 100% usage but it doesn't blue screen until it hits high temperatures.

Do you think if I change my case from my current HAF X full tower to the new Cosmos 2 and pack it fans that the temperatures will go down?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
lower your CPU PLL Voltage see how much that helps. Lower it to like 1.6v or even lower, it will help CP)u temps. you can also lower QPI/VTT, but CPu PLL has less impact on stability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts