Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have read the overclocking amd guide and i have a few questions because my comp isnt handling it too well

let me tell you what i did

i lowered my multi to 5
and raised my fbs to eventually 260 without reboots in intervals of 15

so i go to run prime 95 and it says error with out even a minute of testing

so i lower the fbs to 250 and i run prime for 30 min and then my sys reboots

i have a few questions... when in the guide it says raise your ram settings

do i raise it to as high as they can go ?? or what should i stay around with pc3200 geil

What does it mean to have a 2:3 ratio for the memory .. as in ratio which numbers

i think that ram was my only problem ...but how much lower should my fbs be from when it can boot to when it can run stable ?

last thing is what should my volt be ...its on 1.6 Ccan i safely bring it to 1.7?

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

ok so i have read the overclocking amd guide and i have a few questions because my comp isnt handling it too well

let me tell you what i did

i lowered my multi to 5
and raised my fbs to eventually 260 without reboots in intervals of 15

so i go to run prime 95 and it says error with out even a minute of testing

so i lower the fbs to 250 and i run prime for 30 min and then my sys reboots

i have a few questions... when in the guide it says raise your ram settings

do i raise it to as high as they can go ?? or what should i stay around with pc3200 geil

What does it mean to have a 2:3 ratio for the memory .. as in ratio which numbers

i think that ram was my only problem ...but how much lower should my fbs be from when it can boot to when it can run stable ?

last thing is what should my volt be ...its on 1.6 Ccan i safely bring it to 1.7?

I'm not an expert but since no one has replied I'll take a crack at what I can.

Now I haven't read the guide but I think that raising your ram settings it to loosen the timings? I recently read that you should loosen them to like 3-4-4-8 or something while finding maxes and such.

The 2:3 ratio is just that. Runnin the ram and CPU at a different speed ratio. This allows you to either run your CPU faster than the RAM or vice versa. 1:1 I believe is the best performance wise but I'm not sure how much that varies for different platforms.

When you lowered the multi to 5... what was it originally. You should have first started cranking the FSB up bit by bit... and then if necessary crank down the multi and keep going. Unless I'm mistaken your trying to run 250x5? Thats a little low... But often times if your getting restarts or other screwy activity you might want to upp the vcore... but i can't recall what its called on a64... i dont get my a64 rig running until the weekend..

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The crashes are caused by RAM failure, with the CPU speed so low there's no way that could be it. Set the Memory timings as follows:
CAS: 3
RAS to CAS Delay: 4
RAS Precharge: 4
tRAS: 10
Command Rate (also called 1T/2T timing): Auto or 2T
You can also set a memory ratio to run the memory at a lower speed so it doesn't limit your CPU overclocking

·
Registered
56 Posts
how much damage in performance does a lowering ram timings do??

it would be best to find a median wouldnt it? instead of jacking up the Mhz and slowing down the ram?

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by x86-64

it would be best to find a median wouldnt it? instead of jacking up the Mhz and slowing down the ram?

Well from what DeadLock a64 benching shows... it seems that running an a64 at a ratio drops performance quite a bit versus the ideal 1:1... thats why when I decide to buy ram... better than my value ram I mean, i hope to get ram that can handle a high speed so I can keep a 1:1 configuration

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by x86-64

IMO it would be much better to keep a 1:1 ratio, might yield a lower clock speed, but your overall system performance will be much better.

Another thing that I noticed is you didnt raise your ram voltage, you're overclocking your ram quite a bit, so a voltage increase is required.

Try 2.8v.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
With A64 having anything other than 1:1 will give lower performance...

I would suggest setting RAM timmings as Yiffy said 3-4-4-10 and leave the DRAM frequency on Auto (This gives 1:1 ratio). Drop the multi down to 10 and try and up the FSB again (DO NOT USE .5 MULTIS). Do it in increments of 5MHz and do atleast 4 benchmarks every incremeant... I ran 3DMark03 Aquamark3 2x each. Both of these will pick up instability with RAM and CPU easily... (DO NOT HAVE YOUR GPU OVERCLOCKED AT THIS POINT).

If you have the option of Command Per Clock (CPC) change it to 2T (Disabled).
This option is only available to CG stepping CPUs.

Change the LDT/FSB ratio to 5x for 200FSB once you hit 230FSB and up change it to 4x.

If K8 Cool n Quiet is on turn it off.

One thing that may be stopping you is instability with AGP/PCI locks if your board has them. Once they start to flutter it will cause problems and crash your system. If you board does not have them then your going to need to find a lower FSB overclock.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i oced it sucessfully but sadly i did it before i got to read all of this

so i have a 2.4 ghz a64 now the only real thing my mobo would let me do with my memory is let me lower the speed to 166

all the CAS timings are set on auto and wont boot when i change them ... abnt sugesstions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts