Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current set up consist of a P4 506 CPU (stock H/S and fan)- MSI 915P NEO-F and a Sapphire X1600Pro 128mb PCI-e all of this is contained in my powermax case with 3 fans. As of now I can only get this processor up to 3.0Ghz @ 148 fsb. I try to push it higher but the system will not POST and I have to reset the BIOS. I've heard that this processor can overclock higher, but I am having difficulty. Also I find that this mobo doesn't have the overclocking features I've had on my previous mobo (MSI 645 MAX-E). Does anyone in this forum own a 915P mobo? I am looking for the memory divider and voltage control for the CPU, I can't seen to find under the BIOS "cell menu". Please help if you can or give me any other info that may help me overclock the configuration I have to higher speeds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could get a higher overclock if you up your CPU voltage. A Northwood core can go up to 1.7 volts and Prescott core can go up to 1.52 volts. But since you have stock heatsink I would'nt do that until you get something better (ie after market heatsink and cooler), due to the fact that more voltage=more heat.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Two things:
1-That PSU could be the main reason why you can't go higher.
2-RAM, need to losen up the timings, if you have done that? What timings and Vdimm?
3-Memory devider on DDR is something in the 1:1 or 5:4 ratios. I think!, not too familiar with DDR memory, I only got to use a set-up for about 6 months or less.

I'm not too confident on MSI boards, can't say that I've seen people having a lot of success overclocking with MSI's. Try getting a beefier PSU and maye that'll change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, first I have two things I must mention, 1. Since I own a MSI 915P Neo-F mobo I can't seem to adjust the core voltage for the CPU. 2. Since I own a MSI 915P Neo-F mobo I can't adjust the clock divider either. If I could adjust these two items on this mobo I bet I could push this CPU to very high clock rates. Thanks again for the replies

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
a divider would do you good...but you cant do that..looks like your kinda stuck..kinda like me but i can run a divider..thats my only advantage lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C'mon people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need some responses here about my configuration. I know there are people out there in this forum who have this motherboard or CPU and can give mw some insight as to how well it can overclock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replys. I probably will upgrade my memory to DDR400, maybe this will allow me to overclock my CPU to higher speeds on my current mobo. Due to my Mobo not having the abilty to adjust the Vcore and clock divider this would be my one and only option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I need info on this Mobo. From what everyone says I should be able to get my processor(P4 506) to higher clock speeds with my mobo. Currently I have it at 3.0Ghz (150 X 20). When I go higher my comp doen't POST.

I've looked for the clock divider and vcore setting and there isn't any. The MSI website I looked at stated this board having the "Core Cell" technology, it doesn't. It has in the BIOS the "Core Cell" entry, but once inside I can only adjust the FSB setting, Memory voltage(2.XX+), and PCI-e voltage(1.XX+).

How do I lock the PCI-e frequency on this board? I originally had 512mb DDR333 memory and went and bought 1gb DDR400 to see if this would cure the problem and it hasn't.

I have talked to the MSI tech geeks and let them know that the website listed inacurate info about this mobo and it has since been changed and no longer lists "Core Cell" and "Dynamic Overclocking Technology" as a feature on this mobo.

My BIOS is the Award Phoenix 3.5. Can anyone give any suggestions on how to get a higher overclock with the MSI 915P NEO-F. What am I missing other than this board really having the "Intel overclock lock".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts