Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!

First, It's my first post on this forum, So I want to say Hello to everybody.
Second, My english is not very good so i'll do my best to explain myself.

Now the Problem:

I Just Finished Build up my new rig (I suppose you can see the specs from my profile) I installed Windows with all the last driver without any problem. Everithing work fine, I can play games, record music etc. So I decide to Overclock to get the max performance from my hardware.So I go in the bios(1009) and start tunning things. Here are my Bios configuration.

Jump free config.
cpu fsb freq. 250
sb to nb freq. 200
PCI-E freq. 100
PEG link mode: disable
OverVoltage .... all 4 option at Disable
DDR Vcore: 2.8V
FID/VID manual
CPU requency multiplier 10x
CPU voltage 1.425 - 1.5 (tried both)

Memory settings:
Memclock Mode Limit
Memclock Value: 200
cas: 3
tras: 8
trp: 3
trcd: 3
(as specified by ocz for those stick of memory)

Chipset Configuration:

K8 to NB freq. 4x
K8 to NB linkwidth 16 up 16 down
SB to NB freq. 4x
SB to NB linkwidth 16 up 16 down

ok So now I test those settings. I've tested Memtest86 for about 2 hours and no error were reported after that i put my cpu to the test with prime95 for an other 2 hour with no problem and i was monitoring the temperature at the same time and it never go over 45 degree celcius for the CPU and 48 For the board. So I stop Prime95 (I wanted to try a GPU benchmark before stress test my CPU for 24 hour) and I sarted 3DMark05 and than the problem started. My pc froze instantly, ctrl-alt-del stop the process try with NFS Most Wanted the same thing append.
So i reboot and try to change some settings in the Bios but i never found nothing that fixe's the problem.

I noticed that my video card frequency at idle was stange... Usualy my clock speed at idle are 275Mhz clock,1000Mhz memory and Vcore set to 4 but when I overclock the idle specs are 405Mhz, 1012Mhz memory and the Vcore set to 6.

So my tought are that when I overclock my Fsb my PCI-E bus overclock to. Because everyting work fine exept for the 3D application. So I try to set PEG Link mode to auto,Normal and disable I also try to put 201 at Nb to Sb frequency and also 101 to PCI-E frequency ( I read that some motherboard have to be set like this to lock the PCI-E frequency) But it does'nt work.

Now i'm a bit confuse because I tried so much different things that I read about in other forum and web page. For now i'm running the PC at stock speed exept for the memory timming (2-3-2-6 at 400Mhz) and it works really great. But I would like to overclock the system to 2.5 GHZ and have my memory set at 500Mhz like it is suppose to be.

I'm open to all of your sugestion!

Ps: Sorry for the long Post!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Loki!

I'm Not shure where (in the Bios) I set my HTT to 4X, I suppose it's under chipset configuration if i'm right it look like something like this:

K8 to NB freq. 4x
SB to NB freq. 4x

and I already try 4X even 3X... still don't working.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-P

Hi Loki!

I'm Not shure where (in the Bios) I set my HTT to 4X, I suppose it's under chipset configuration if i'm right it look like something like this:

K8 to NB freq. 4x
SB to NB freq. 4x

and I already try 4X even 3X... still don't working.

Hi Mr-P

No thats not them.

It's been a few months since I worked on an ASUS, but if memory servers me correctly it's under jump free configuration

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...

I'm not at home right now, So I can't check, But I'm pretty shure that the only multiplier in the jump free configuration menu is the CPU multiplier (for the A8N32 bios version 1009) But i'll check carefully tonight maybe I missed it. I'll reply tomorow to let you know...

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Prob...

But i Got the same answer... I'm really not shure to have seen this option neither in jump free config nor in chipset nor in CPU config but just to be shure i'll be checking that to.

thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok I got some info about the LTD (HTT) bus. It is under the chipser menu and it really appear like that:
K8 to NB freq. auto
K8 to NB linkwidth Auto
SB to NB freq. 5x

So I think my settings were already at 4x ---> 4x250 = 1000 it should be ok but it doesn't work... I'll keep searching and i'll update tomorrow.
a+

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

ok I got some info about the LTD (HTT) bus. It is under the chipser menu and it really appear like that:
K8 to NB freq. auto
K8 to NB linkwidth Auto
SB to NB freq. 5x

So I think my settings were already at 4x ---> 4x250 = 1000 it should be ok but it doesn't work... I'll keep searching and i'll update tomorrow.
a+

change K8 to NB freq. from auto to manual and change SB to NB freq. x4 that should do it

I double checked with a buddy of mine that has that Mobo ...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already done that but it don't fixe the problem....But yesterday I was trying a lot of thing to make it work and I notice something else, maybe thats the problem. When I put PEG link mode to disable My video card specs return to what they are suppose to be (core:275Mhz Mem:1000 at idle & core:400Mhz Mem:1000Mhz on load) But when I start any 3D application (most of the time 3DMark05) the card keep its load clocks for just few second and than goes back to the idle clocks and the application freeze....? I was thinking that maybe my problem is a power issue maybe the card don't get enough power to keep its load clocks...Maybe not...Anyway here are my voltage from the bios.

VCore: 1.392V
3.3V: 3.360V
5V: 5.134
12V: 12.096

thanks!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK!

I think I found something, but if this is true I'm in deep S**t. Read that:
''That's not all though. The Slow or Disabled option, which was supposed to disable PEG Link Mode, does not always work. When we tested the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT and 7800 GTX graphics cards, we found that irrespective of the setting we chose, PEG Link Mode overclocked the core by 9.7%! There was no way to disable PEG Link Mode for these cards.''

http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG....ng=0&bogno=281

It's bad... I'll try something tonight. I'll try to overclock manualy my 7800gt with RivaTuner to see if it keep that config or if PEG link mode stay enable. I'll update tomorow with results. But i really think thats my problem here and if it is I will not be able to overclock and my 500Mhz ocz memory will be useless.

A+

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi one43637!

I know it's strange but I dont see anyting else than that because everything work fine overclocked exept for my video card. It overclock itself too much and than no 3D application would work... very stange though.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

Hi one43637!

I know it's strange but I dont see anyting else than that because everything work fine overclocked exept for my video card. It overclock itself too much and than no 3D application would work... very stange though.

If that is the problem (disabling the peg link mode). You might be able to get around its too much overclocking by modifying your vid cards bios and lower its clock setting. Then when the peg link mode overclocks it, it won't overclock it beyond its max.
That is very strange though, you've got the latest bios for the board too right?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Mastacator!

To answer your question, yes I got The last bios for that board (1009) but this is the bios version that came with the board I do not flash it yet but I don't think I have to right now. And I have a question for you...? How do I change the bios setting for my video card Can I do It with RivaTuner...?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi keef007!

In the a8n32 bios 1009 the NB and SB option are in advance menu under chipset. I think also that if you have the A8n SLI-Delux there is a new bios version. the newest semms to be 1016.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Hi Mastacator!

To answer your question, yes I got The last bios for that board (1009) but this is the bios version that came with the board I do not flash it yet but I don't think I have to right now. And I have a question for you...? How do I change the bios setting for my video card Can I do It with RivaTuner...?

as far as i know, to use a software overclocking utility like RivaTuner or Coolbits, you should disable the PEG link in your BIOS.

i would uninstal any overclocking utilities that you have, go to your BIOS and make sure PEG link is disabled, and then try running 3dmark or whichever gpu intensive benchmarking tool you use.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

....How do I change the bios setting for my video card Can I do It with RivaTuner...?

No you won't be able to make changes to it on the fly. You will have to use nvflash on a floppy disc, using dos, to retreive the bios from your video card. Then, get back in windows and open the bios you got off the card with nibitor make changes, then flash the modified bios back to the card.

This faq will explain the process just fine:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26896-...hics-card.html

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First I want to thanks both of you (one43637 & mastacator) for your suggestion. I guess I'll have plenty of thing to try tonight... I'll update tomorow to let you know if it works. I'm a bit nervous about the 7800gt bios flash though. I nerver flash a gpu bios, Wish me luck...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts