Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
I use RivaTuner for overclocking my 8800GT.

I have the GPU set to 700Mhz and the Memory set to 1000Mhz (2000Mhz effective).

Its a rock-solid overclock. You might be able to do that easily with a stock cooler.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uck View Post
and the steps are:set up the core and memory clocks --> hit the test function in evga precision --> hit apply --> restart PC --> ati tool scan for artifacts.

CORECT me if i'm wrong!!
Don't bother with the memory.

Up the Shader and Core clocks -> Apply -> Use test / Ati-Tool artifact scan
->If stable then higher clocks
else lower clocks / up voltage

end if

Quote:

Originally Posted by uck View Post
anyone??
bump thread once per 24hrs please.

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy View Post
Don't bother with the memory.

Up the Shader and Core clocks -> Apply -> Use test / Ati-Tool artifact scan
->If stable then higher clocks
else lower clocks / up voltage

end if

bump thread once per 24hrs please.
Why not up the memory? The memory chips on these cards will easily go to 1000Mhz without a hitch.

If you are referring to getting the GPU/Shaders stable first, THEN upping the memory, then yes, fair point.

·
Registered
321 Posts
my asus en8800gt is at 700/1000/1728 without any problems. folding on it at 55c.
I looked up the superclocked edition speeds and used it at a starting point.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinja_ninja View Post
Why not up the memory? The memory chips on these cards will easily go to 1000Mhz without a hitch.

If you are referring to getting the GPU/Shaders stable first, THEN upping the memory, then yes, fair point.
The memory generally doesn't show significant gains because memory isn't the bottleneck most of the time.

Get the core and shaders up and you'll see real improvement.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Yeah, most cards can break 700 core. Mine can't. Mine fails at OC'ing

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You can always try but be careful of those temps. Its the load temps you gotta watch. Also, fan speed is adjustable and usually not defaulted anywhere near 100%, so if you do OC just up your fan speed too and you should be ok. Alot of the factory overclocked geforce cards use stock coolers so most stock coolers can handle at least a slight oc. Its always worth a try.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Ok, with fan speed at 100%, doing FurMark at 1440x900 resolution, it went from 53-82.
From 82 it just hovered between 81-82.
It is safe to go and overclock?
If so, my core clock is 600MHz, and my shaders 1500MHz.
What should I overclock them to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Go up slow, try 20Mhz at a time for core, 50 for shader.

EDIT: But saying that 82c seems pretty high for stock settings, I wouldn't feel comfortable overclocking with the stock cooler.
May have something to do with your 'Random generic' case, I assume it has poor cooling

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
I would recommend using the latest Rivatuner to adjust GPU clocks and fan speed settings, and ATI Tool to test stability (artifact scanning). Each card will OC differently though. My Rev. 1 8800GT does 700/1800/1000 no sweat, my second one (unknow rev. #) can only do 675/1700/1000 and it has a better cooler and maxes out at 55 C? Where my Rev. 1 hits 80 C?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.