Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a new i5 750 system, and I've heard they're really easy to overclock.

Standard they push 2.6Ghz, but I would like to clock it to 3.4Ghz, this is possible using stock voltage (1.2v).

My question is I've read disclaimers on overclocking sites saying that overclocking will reduce the life expectancy of the CPU. Now obviously if you're going to pump up the core voltage, sure you can expect it to fry the CPU. But if I use stock voltage, then will it really reduce the life expectancy of the CPU?

I don't intend to keep the CPU for 10 years, obviously in 2-3 years its going to be slow and need replacement.

Next question - I have no experience in overclocking, so besides mounting an additional fan inside the casing, what else do I need to do with the above to keep the system cool and stable?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
It shouldnt reduce the life expectancy on stock voltage. And 3.4ghz is a mild overclock, so if you increase the voltage a little, it wouldnt be too bad on it anyhow. it will definitely last you a few years. I would also pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. Since you dont intend on serious OC's, you could go with a less expensive cpu cooler. The cpu cooler you choose though will depend on the size of your case too. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus seems like a decent cooler and is very reasonably priced at $30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegoast
View Post

It shouldnt reduce the life expectancy on stock voltage. And 3.4ghz is a mild overclock, so if you increase the voltage a little, it wouldnt be too bad on it anyhow. it will definitely last you a few years. I woudl also pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. Since you dont intend on serious OC's, you could go with a smaller cooler.

Thank you for your reply, excuse my ignorance, but what is an aftermarket CPU cooler?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

View Post

It shouldnt reduce the life expectancy on stock voltage. And 3.4ghz is a mild overclock, so if you increase the voltage a little, it wouldnt be too bad on it anyhow. it will definitely last you a few years. I would also pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. Since you dont intend on serious OC's, you could go with a less expensive cpu cooler. The cpu cooler you choose though will depend on the size of your case too. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus seems like a decent cooler and is very reasonably priced at $30.

Thanks I had a look at that cooler, and its available in my area, and its within the budget, while we're on the subject, could you recommend another good alternative with better bearings (oil or fluid) to reduce noise a bit, I know it will be a bit more expensive, but hopefully not too much more.

Also here is the base system I intend to buy, do you recommend this as a good base?

http://translate.google.com/translat...e=windows-1250

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelL
View Post

Thanks I had a look at that cooler, and its available in my area, and its within the budget, while we're on the subject, could you recommend another good alternative with better bearings (oil or fluid) to reduce noise a bit, I know it will be a bit more expensive, but hopefully not too much more.

Also here is the base system I intend to buy, do you recommend this as a good base?

Thats is actually a very nice build
What fans do you have available in your region?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

View Post

Thats is actually a very nice build
What fans do you have available in your region?

Here is the shop I will buy from - and here is the site translated to english:

Seems they have good stock the only thing I will change is the graphics card, which I would like to get the ATI Radeon HD 5870. And then later these running XFire.

So - would you say - get that base PC, install a cooler, and then its ready? Or do I need to replace the fans and casing too?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Ya, that base is a solid build and the cooler is good too. As for fans, I was looking at the selection on that website. It seems like all the fans have pretty low RPM's and CFM's. I would probably just use the stock fan that comes with the CPU cooler. If you need a quiet case though, the Noctua fans are good, the Gelid fans are good, I have heard the Noiseblockers are good too. They all are pricey though. So whatever fits your budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts